Denon AVR 1905, any good?

Dear all,

Need advise and review on this new Denon entry level AV amp. Rated 80w per channel, but hearsay Denon AVR always overrated, will I be buying a weakling to fill my 11x11x10 feet room?

Why 1905? Because it is the only AV amp below 15cm tall with all channel preout so that I can use with my stereo amp. Yes, my shelf is only 15cm tall.

Thanks in advance guys...

Yu Hock

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have you seen it here? and how much?

7 discrete channels, DPLIIx ... pretty good brand,  I'd say great except haven't heard it yet ;)

how 80Wpc will fill your room will depend on what speakers, and how loud you want to play I guess, but seeing as you have the pre-outs you can always add outboard amplification later

Hi,

Price quoted was SGD550 me think. Seen at a few SLS audio shops. Yes, decoder seems comprehensive.

Say if I preout the front 2 to my azur 640amp, which amp should control the volume? Do I need to turn on both amp? A bit lost here, thanks in advance for clearing my doubts.

Yu hock

I think its easier to fix the volume on the Azur and let the Denon control.

If you have your CDP running into the Azur, then you don't need to turn on the Denon for listening to music.

However this would disrupt the settings for your HT volume, so its probably best to run everything thru the Denon, and use the Azur as a sort of poweramp. 'Course, this means switch both on when listening to anything

Hi,

Price quoted was SGD550 me think. Seen at a few SLS audio shops. Yes, decoder seems comprehensive.

Say if I preout the front 2 to my azur 640amp, which amp should control the volume? Do I need to turn on both amp? A bit lost here, thanks in advance for clearing my doubts.

Yu hock

Did I hear wrongly ? Denon 1905 only S$550 ? Than those lower models like 1804 , 1705 , 1604 and 1404 must be super-buy and must buy .......

Hi Norma and Seriusly cold,

Thanks for the 'Buy' call for AVR1905, but do you work for Denon or what ;D

I am tempted to buy but hearsay Azur 640R about to release within a month. So better to wait lor.

Seriusly cold, I fully understand now how it work. Thanks a bunch guys!

Cheers...

Yu Hock

Dear all,

Need advise and review on this new Denon entry level AV amp. Rated 80w per channel, but hearsay Denon AVR always overrated, will I be buying a weakling to fill my 11x11x10 feet room?

Why 1905? Because it is the only AV amp below 15cm tall with all channel preout so that I can use with my stereo amp. Yes, my shelf is only 15cm tall.

Thanks in advance guys...

Yu Hock

7x80w is probably overratted like most other AV amp but i believe 11'x11'x10' is no problem for the 1905, probably 30W~40W or so would be enough to fill the whole room.

dont mind be saying this, do not put the amp in cramp space, when working, most amp give up quite a lot of heat. give it some space to breath.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Actually, the shelf is much taller(18cm), except there is a 3cm 'L' metal bar running lengthwise & atop that supporting the TV weight, that limits the usage of powerful amp but not 1905.

Will drop by Merdeka if I really wants one.

• 2 weeks later...

yup, S$1,450's the (best) price for the denon avr-3805 in both sim lim and adelphi.  the yamaha rx-v2500, when it finally comes out in singapore, should cost around the same.  (my assumption, which could be wrong, is that the historical avr-2805:rx-v1400 and avr-3805:rx-v2400 price linkages continue to hold.  but it's still holding in other markets.)

hopefully yamaha here in singapore won't sell the down-specified versions of the 1500 and 2500.  (it would be a shame to trade multi-room functionality and custom control, among others, for a voltage selector and/or an am radio frequency step switch!)

hi guys, thanks for the info! like dat, i may have to give the 2805 a miss as it is over my budget. never expect the price gap to be so big between the 2805 n 1905. i guess the 1905 could be considered a super value buy at that price but i m wondering if i shd pay another $200 more to settle for the yammy 650 for the auto-calibration feature n higher ouput? then again, i was told by a sale person that since i m considering the 650, why not just pay a bit more to get the 750 since according to him, it is a much better receiver compared to the 650. i m puzzled by his claim as the differences (on paper) are not apparent to me. i wonder if u guys could shed some lights? thanks!

hi guys, thanks for the info! like dat, i may have to give the 2805 a miss as it is over my budget. never expect the price gap to be so big between the 2805 n 1905. i guess the 1905 could be considered a super value buy at that price but i m wondering if i shd pay another $200 more to settle for the yammy 650 for the auto-calibration feature n higher ouput? then again, i was told by a sale person that since i m considering the 650, why not just pay a bit more to get the 750 since according to him, it is a much better receiver compared to the 650. i m puzzled by his claim as the differences (on paper) are not apparent to me. i wonder if u guys could shed some lights? thanks!

Than it will become ... why don't pay a little more-more to get the 1500 .... ha ... ha ...

Than it will become ... why don't pay a little more-more to get the 1500 .... ha ... ha ...

excellent point there, norman: just save for a bit longer, then you can get the next model up.  but since another new one is coming out, just wait for it.  then since there's already more money saved, maybe just add a bit more and you can get the 2500.  after that....  ahahaha

byang, if you want denon and find the gap between the 2805 and 1905 to be too wide, why not try the 2105?  btw, apparently, the big gap between the 2805 (and 3805) and the rest of the range is partially because the 2805 is made in japan.  the rest are built in china.  (i doubt there's any diff in assembly quality, though.)

[btw, regarding the 657 and 750, someone told me the 750 also adds multizone capability.  but i haven't confirmed this yet.]

for this kind of thing, there is no end to waiting one lah just like buying pc stuff or handphone. i guess if the pdt has all the features i want, sound good to me n the price is within my budget, then i got to pay n go liao. too much time spent looking around means i have less to spend on enjoying my purchase! n to be honest, i have really spent quite some time looking around (ask Jag!) so hoping to get the purchase done n enjoy myself during the year end holiday!

pilyo, may i know how much is the 2105? almost forgotten that it has the auto-calibration feature also...

er, can't recall how much the 2105 was. if i recall right it was six hundred something (660?) ...hope i have not confused the price with the 1905's.  what i do recall is me marveling at how wide the gap was between the 2105 and the 2805.

(byang, regarding taking the plunge, i know how you feel.  even up to the last moment i spent quite a lot of time in the shop night agonizing whether to get a denon or wait for a new yamaha model, and whether my budget could stretch.  something tells me the only reason the shop people didn't shoo me away was because i got my previous yamaha from them.  finally got denon, and the box has now been sitting around unopened for the last 2 days and counting.)