My System Today

1 hour ago, Esoterica said:

How good is SNA?! Without it, I probably would have never discovered that I can make the display any colour on my amp. Pretty cool. I stumbled upon this fact by chance, when looking for some other info. I assumed the oled display was white only. Changing the colour never crossed my mind tbh. I like the white, but it is good to change it up. Pictured is green obviously.

19924FA1-6414-4A75-B7B9-7CE57241A787.jpeg

Which model is that? 

Morning Folks.

Back to basics Way Out West...  well, sort of, I am playing digital files.  I've brought the ol' faithful, Technics SB2755's into the fray again.

Original tweeters & woofers...  and the mids have been replaced by vintage Seas, soft domes.

Cabinets restored and braced, and the crossovers upgraded and slightly modified.  The original had full range to the woofer...  I've put the inductor on the woofer, and running a single capacitor to each tweeter another to each mid.  I played around with different arrangements for some time, but as I stripped it back, they really came alive.

I recently acquired a Umik1, and MiniDSP 2x4, to begin my foray into speaker measurement.  It's a little daunting for someone not so proficient with computers and digital set ups.  I'm old skool stereo...  I like an amp that has a button, knob or slider for every function, nothing hidden with a remote, deep in the set up system.  A recent Yamaha AVR acquisition has a 100 page manual !!!  Struth.

The amp is a Technics SU-7200, lovingly serviced by TubularBells, thanks mate...  a 20W powerhouse that drives these speakers with authority.

It will be interesting when I'm confident enough to measure speaker response...  although I already know it will lead further down the rabbit hole, to room treatment.

IMG_2021-06-26-23-37-22-946.jpg.60aa2ea2694e04e06e3056f324da09a7.jpg

...  and yes, they're the crossovers on the floor.

IMG_2021-06-26-23-38-54-950.jpg.72ce24d7ee2d84557fe9861e995fa84c.jpg

I'm moving things around, and have three set ups, each with a listening chair.

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz
  • Like 12

40 minutes ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

Morning Folks.

Back to basics Way Out West...  well, sort of, I am playing digital files.  I've brought the ol' faithful, Technics SB2755's into the fray again.

Original tweeters & woofers...  and the mids have been replaced by vintage Seas, soft domes.

Cabinets restored and braced, and the crossovers upgraded and slightly modified.  The original had full range to the woofer...  I've put the inductor on the woofer, and running a single capacitor to both tweeter and mid.  I played around with different arrangements for some time, but as I stripped it back, they really came alive.

I recently acquired a Umik1, and MiniDSP 2x4, to begin my foray into speaker measurement.  It's a little daunting for someone not so proficient with computers and digital set ups.  I'm old skool stereo...  I like an amp that has a button, knob or slider for every function, nothing hidden with a remote, deep in the set up system.  A recent Yamaha AVR acquisition has a 100 page manual !!!  Struth.

The amp is a Technics SU-7200, lovingly serviced by TubularBells, thanks mate...  a 20W powerhouse that drives these speakers with authority.

It will be interesting when I'm confident enough to measure speaker response...  although I already know it will lead further down the rabbit hole, to room treatment.

IMG_2021-06-26-23-37-22-946.jpg.60aa2ea2694e04e06e3056f324da09a7.jpg

...  and yes, they're the crossovers on the floor.

IMG_2021-06-26-23-38-54-950.jpg.72ce24d7ee2d84557fe9861e995fa84c.jpg

I'm moving things around, and have three sets ups, each with a listening chair.

Speaker measurement and room treatment? You're getting into dangerous and time consuming territory there Ant. Leave some time for actual listening.😄

Those speakers look nice.👍

.....and your record collection is looking very healthy.....shame if it went to waste.🤨😉

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 2

Don’t sell yourself short @BuzzzFuzz, you’ve already started with room treatment, the sofa, the funny stuff tacked on the wall (not Kiss) and bookshelves. 
Get a microphone stand/boom for when you get to measuring - it helps a lot. 
you are going to have fun and a little bit of frustration but you might find it’s worthwhile in the long run. 

• Like 1

G'day @stevoz

Yeah man, I did spin a couple recently when I hooked up the second Optonica TT.

I'm setting up my Optonica system in the dining room, and that TT will be part of it.

My first Optonica TT is with Doug, getting the treatment, and it is allocated for the Technics rig in the living room.

The Music Hall is still waiting for a new platform.

I'm recycling another old frame as a TV rack for the surround system amp and centre speaker. 

Just finished final stain & varnish on the Celef cabinets, and waiting for new surrounds to arrive.

Anticipating the return of a Sansui AU-517 after repairs and upgrades.  It will take pride of place for my vinyl rig, and hopefully pair well with a few of my vintage speakers.

Still a few changes planned, as repairs are returning now and the dedicated systems take shape.

• Like 1

Thanks @frankn

Unused egg trays on the wall, one of the perks of single life.  Economical but untested...  I think it sounds better, and I like the look and feel of them.  Not the touch, but the feeling in the room.

My main rig is in the centre of the room, facing the dining room archway.  I'm not used to the new set ups at each end of the room.  The Technics are quite large in a near corner.

It's been a life changing experience to become so involved in low / mid level audio & DIY.  Onwards and upwards.

Thanks mate.

• Like 2

WA is in lockdown again.....! This was what happened last night and the pleasures between  tunes and red grape juice overtaken my level of effort in posting here. 

I suppose better late then never....! A0928CEA-D222-48F0-B064-CD1CCC0710C1.thumb.jpeg.c8bfcfffe9e27611e8a8b5b65c930fed.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Love 2

Vic, for once, is clean or almost so no lockdown for us. Those in lockdown and can’t  work should think LD projects. Even a LP or CD reshuffle and tidy up. For me, who lives like a hermit, LD or not its build, build, build.

Oh and replace the battery in the wife's watch. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

In lockdown for the first time and looking at five days at home (inc. weekend plus regional holiday), and the cartridge leads decide to give out! Not the best timing. The DIY mind is at work to rig up a solution to tide me through. 

Mouser order placed last night for various bits and shipping estimate says expected tomorrow, which would be good timing 😎

WFH today, so my system today - with the above ‘complications’ - is out of commission 😅

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AccuMagi said:

WA is in lockdown again.....! This was what happened last night and the pleasures between  tunes and red grape juice overtaken my level of effort in posting here. 

I suppose better late then never....! A0928CEA-D222-48F0-B064-CD1CCC0710C1.thumb.jpeg.c8bfcfffe9e27611e8a8b5b65c930fed.jpeg

Super room 👍👌

I am curious to know what runs in your veins....Blood or Red Wine? 🙃🤪

Edited by BugleBoy
typo
  • Haha 1

On 23/06/2021 at 11:40 AM, Esoterica said:

hahaha it came like that! Bought many years ago, so I don't even notice it anymore.

It's made from recycled Indian boats.

that's fantastic! there would be so much history in that timber.

Edited by Rustee
typo due to deteriorating eyesight - should have gone to spec savers
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Rustee said:

that's fantastic! there would be so much history in that timber.

It's pretty cool. It weighs a ton though, as it's probably a tropical hardwood. Has a pleasant, slightly spicy aroma too lol. 

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Esoterica said:

It's pretty cool. It weighs a ton though, as it's probably a tropical hardwood. Has a pleasant, slightly spicy aroma too lol. 

Still could do with a nice coat of paint! :) 

2nd day of 14 days of quarantine, i am all up for safety to help the economy but seriously it's safer where we were than Perth. At least we get to do it from home even though we aren't allowed out the front. Well may as well give the turntable a work out i suppose. 

212346398_351631416397461_8470646085841744194_n.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

On 7/8/2021 at 12:04 AM, shawnwes said:

Got rid of the long console that was affecting gear placement and therefore SQ.  Shuffled everything over to the right a few feet with a resulting improvement in soundstage.

6440813701.jpg

I'm sure removing that long console improved your soundstage!  :thumb:

Can I suggest a couple more (small) changes which should further improve your SQ:

1.  given you have subs ... buy the bungs for those B&W spkr ports.  (This may require you to adjust - increase - the sub roll-off frequency.)

2.  assuming your listening position is in front of the spkrs, in the middle ... currently, your subs appear to be further away from your ears than the standmounts are.  IOW - they are not "time-aligned".  You need to get the subs & the B&W bass drivers the same distance away from your ears - so:

• either move the subs in front of the plane of the standmounts, slightly - if you keep them where they are currently (outboard).
  • or move the subs inboard of the standmounts and move them back against the wall, slightly.

In both cases, you are aiming for the dust covers on the subs to be the same distance from your ears as the base of the cones in the B&Ws.

Andy

Evening Folks.

Wav files, Philips Media Player, optical out, into Denon AVC-A1...  Energy C5 Connoisseur's & Energy S10.2  10" sub.

Must get 'round to changing the resistor on the tweeters...  need a little more sparkle.

IMG_2021-07-09-21-35-39-433.jpg.aa70059256a5c2219842549dcd1c2c94.jpg

King Buffalo  'Dead Star'

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz
  • Like 6

10:27 PM 

No lights on besides 2 LEDS, Lumin display, 30 odd tubes and lightning flash through the windows. Timing... lol 

Oh and Lorde playing.. 

Polish_20210709_225636302.jpg

Edited by Pasic007
  • Like 8
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, Pasic007 said:

10:27 PM 

No lights on besides 2 LEDS Lumin display, 30 odd tubes and lighting flash through the windows. Timing... lol 

Oh and Lorde playing.. 

Polish_20210709_225636302.jpg

Jeez and I was beginning to think I had a problem with 23 tubes... :unsure: 

• Haha 1

@dwbasement   Speakers flipped around - wider soundstage?     

Nice set up.   What are the speakers?  Reminds me of the horn speakers @jaspert used to have.

I see what you were talking about re lack of space with the cabinet.  Have you thought of getting a dedicated open stand/cabinet to give you some more flexibility and probably better sound?

cheers