Lumin Owners and Discussion Thread

I agree with andrewc. In fact, the definition of a transport is flawed if do not include NAS as part of it if streaming from NAS. My recent comparisons on my own streamer between NAS and SSD direct playback shows the SSD direct is miles ahead and that there is a lot more work on NAS to get it to even come close. Many tend to forget that NAS is actually a PC!

+1 Andrew and Naimster comments

For a year i used nas to stream and feed my lumin,

not until i resurrected my 2012 mac mini , remove all junks and optimize software wise and purely run minimserver and vnc.

In last few months  I modified again with dual ethernet to split 1 toward my home network and the other one toward lumin, the result is significant positive for each rounds.

Next round if fund allow, may get a mini lps, but yet explore which road should i take to alternatively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not a TT user. But I think most TT users will switch off their digital sources when they are using their TT. Most of them will find that the sound quality will improve when they do that. The reason is that emi being generated by the computer chip inside the digital source. From the testing that I had done, it's close to impossible to completely remove such emi once they are being generated by any computer chip. It can't be removed by dedicated lines, it can't be remove by any kind of power conditioners regardless of price, and etc. In actual fact, the effect of emi generated by digital sources is considered small if it is compared to those generated by devices like nas and computers. Nas and computers are the worst of the worst. In actual fact, I think it's extremely hard to get the sound completely correct once such devices are switched on.

One of the trick to get nice digital sound is to remove any usage of computers and nas. Once this is done, there will be a quantum leap in sound quality produced by DAC or streamers (like linn, naim and Lumin). This is the first and most important step to take.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...

A newbie here. This lumin products is confusing me. 

My current setup Imac > rega DAC > Amp > Speakers.

Let say I replace my Rega DAC to Lumin D1. Which lumin products allow me to store the music files and 'transfer' to DAC. 

Whats Lumin T and Lumin S. S to stream the files wirelessly? 

All Lumin model has built in dac, only recent published u1 who only act as transport.

Till this point of time there's no Lumin model has internal storage, meaning you should store your digital music collection somewhere (e.g. Pc, NAS, or Lumin made owned NAS - L1)

You are currently using the iMac so that will be your storage.

You replace the Rega DAC with the Lumin.  The difference is Rega uses USB, Lumin use ethernet.

You cannot do wirelessly with the Lumin, why should you pollute your hi fi enviorment with radio emission?  You can use wired ethernet on the Lumin and if you must, do wirelessly from iMac to your router.  Wired connection is better.

On the iMac, you load in JRiver to play your selection.  You do remote control with a iphone with JRemote.

lumin T and Lumin S are higher model from your Lumin D1.  Same function as the D1 but better sound and relatively more expensive.

(Audio)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest AndrewC

Datacenter folks is doing relocation,  and found fiber converter to play around [emoji51][emoji51]

Nice :)....

(Though it shouldn't matter for such short spools, but switch to single-mode SFPs and fibre if you can, instead of those multimode ones in your picture  ;))

Need to hunt if they still have a pair single mode converter to be thrown.

But wondering if they both make difference though? And another curiosity how bout if change into 1000-T converter,  but i think lumin only run 100-T in it's ethernet port end, it will be throttle down to 100

Lumin S1 / A1 / T1 / D1 have 100Mbps Ethernet ports.

That's an interesting setup.  Any improvement in the sound quality?

In computeraudiophile there are long threads about network isolation and optical network stuff.  I think they use LPS for the converters.

I confirmed that media convertor make a lot of diff to the sound.  I have been experimenting and meaning to share with you folks once I can confirmed a few more things.

The most significant diff is to use a sealed lead acid battery to drive the media convertor......the other day I cannot understand why my stereo sound was so degraded.....until I found that I accidentally I connect the default power adapter plug into the media convertor and not the battery's.  As soon as I corrected that, the sound returned to the awesome transparency and details......

Right now, I got a Allied Telesis Fibre NIC card flying over....that will remove all switches from my server fibre connection.....

(Audio)

This one I used for that 5VDC power input.  I will take pictures tonight of my setup but I used a battery similar to this:-

Costs about $20 plus a few power adaptor plugs and you will get good sounds.

(Audio)

Can even use it to power the Lumin if the capacity is big enough.  ;)

......................coming........coming.....you need 2 batteries for that..................

(Audio)

What's the original specs of the Lumin PSU ?

Did you add any capacitors after the SLA outputs ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no need to add any capacitors to the battery output, the battery is the best capacitor you can buy......  :)

My guess would be the standard 12V, 5V DC for the Lumin.

(Audio)

For those who are interested in optical media converter for streamers:

On the server side: Asus RT-N66U to Planet FST-802 (optical media converter - OMC). Asus router powered by its own SMPS (sound better than most LPS in the market. But different batches of RT-N66U may come with different SMPS which sound different). Planet FST-802 powered by FRIWO MPP Medical grade SMPS (sound better than a lot of LPS in the market too). Both SMPS are plugged into Shunyata MPC-12 which in turn plugged into a Shunyata Triton(v2)/Typhon. I placed the router and OMC on the floor as it sound better in my system that way.

On the streamer side: Another OMC connected to the streamer using a Chord Super Aray streaming cable. The OMC is powered by a Paul Hynes SR7EHD with a Shunyata Alpha digital. The Shunyata Alpha digital does to Shunyata Triton(v2)/Typhon. In my system, this OMC sound the best when placed on another Typhon. THe SR7 is placed on Audiophile Stratabase platform as SR7 don't seems to respond well to any footers available in the market that I had tried.

Btw. The Asus RT-N66U is running the media server playing through the thumb drive. Three of the antenna of the router is removed. The wireless power of the router is also set to the lowest 1mW output. The RT-N66U is the best sounding router for this purpose that I had tried so far.

All the network equipment are very sensitive to (1) the surface they are placed on, (2) the power supply, (3) Ethernet cable, (4) the position where they are placed relative to the system. The orientation of the router relative to the system will make quite a big difference to the sound to.

One more thing. The way the SMPS is plugged into the MPC-12 will a difference to the sound too (how the two pin enter the US socket). For two SMPS, there are a total of 4 possible combinations. However, I had not tried which combination of socket sound the best as this is very difficult to do due to burn in issue.

This is the best sounding network solution that I tried so far.