OLED TV Thread

LG today launch their world first paper-thin, curved OLED TV at Courts Megastore.

Although the 55" on display is a Full HD 1080p model, the picture quality, as I see it, surpasses that of 4K LCD TV in tems of contrast, colour and motion clarity. Should see it. After you have seen it, don't think you will like to look at your LCD TV again.  LG calls it - The Ultimate Display. It is really good  :P

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

saw it at millenia walk ground floor

wah, very thin and PQ is great ... definitely will get the 65" if hit less than $3k after 5 yrs  ;D

I even find it too thin, would prefer add at least a piece of 1mm thick metal for protection and maybe further  heat dissipation

wonder why they never mention FHD

Since it is curved, the display size is kinda "shunk", can consider bigger than 65"  ;D

I m looking forward on the day that such mega screen TV can replace projector in due course...looking at the screen size vs price ratio, its not gonna happen anytime soon. So projector is still the best bang for bucks if u dun mind the mounting that hovers above your head. Hopefully by 2015, TV screen size can match the price of a mid level projector in the MKT. :))

Sent from my PadFone Infinity using Tapatalk 2

Which megastore? Tampines?

Yes, Courts Megastore is the one at Tampines next to IKEA and Gaint Tampines.

The 55" OLED on display is a Full HD 1080p but uses LG's unique 4 colour (WRGB) pixel technology with a sub-pixel count of 8.3 million. The addition of a white sub-pixel is said to give better whites on LG's OLED TV.

OLED TV has an infinite contrast ratio as the "pixels are independently lighted and do not require a common lamp or LED light source and are completely independent from each other.  This enables the pixels to control their own luminance so true picture depth and tone can be produced.

The response speed is over a hundred times faster than LCD TV,  thus fast moving scenes are blur-free. "

A preview by Philip Wong on CNET Asia - asia.cnet.com/product/lg-55ea9800-55-inch-oled-46730710.htm

Just backed from Courts and I must say the LG Oled is a work of art!  Owners will certainly be happy displaying it in their living room to make a statement! ;D....but...

I will never buy it because of 3 reasons!  Firstly, 5 feet away, I can still see the pixels!  When watching passive 3D, the pixels double in size!  and last but not least, it's ridiculously expensive. 

The 55" 4K is only 5K plus and this Oled is 15K :P  Personally, I like the LG 4K units and comparing them with Samsungs, Sony and Toshiba, they look sharper and color tone more accurate and pleasing!  Yes, the LG 4Ks will be my choice in my new home! :)

Real-world performance - a Review by Digital Trends

"The EA9800 curved OLED looks spectacular. The only other TV’s that have evoked as much awe this year have been Panasonic’s VT60 and ZT60 plasmas and the Samsung F8500 plasma.

When set in THX Cinema picture mode, this TV displayed excellent black levels – as in, a complete absence of light. Brightness levels were capable of exceeding THX standards and, outside of THX mode were capable of retina-destroying brightness (though black levels took a hit at this preset).

True to LG form, colors were also superb. The THX cinema mode had them as close to ideal as we think is possible without an ISF-certified calibration. 3:2 pulldown also got a pass, thankfully.

Contrary to our suspicions, curving the screen didn’t cause any of the issues we had suspected. Off-axis response was unaffected by the TV’s curvature, was far better than most LCD-based TVs, and was on par with top plasmas. Nobody loses anything by sitting off to the side, but that’s because nobody gains anything from siting in the center. As far as viewing the TV’s picture was concerned, the curve did nothing for us.

But we still maintain this is one sexy TV and that the curve is a big part of it. Were it not for the fact that the curve precludes wall-mounting, we’d give the design element a pass. Fortunately, flat OLEDs are on their way, so don’t get all worked up thinking the gimmick ruins everything. It doesn’t. In fact, it probably sells more TVs.

It would seem LG still has a couple of bugs to iron out, but we kind of expect that from first-generation technology. Even so, this TV looks fantastic, and it shows that OLED appears to be in a great position to deliver the picture quality of today’s best plasmas in an ultra-thin frame similar to LED TVs. Yes, it’s expensive. We knew it would be. But this TV is a sign of things to come. It’s a little glimpse into the future and is presently a tough TV to produce (Sony started a world first 11" OLED TV in the late 2007 but had to call it off two years later). That means early adopters will pay handsomely, but they’ll also be rewarded with something unique and ground-breaking."  :)

Guess the curved screen is based on ergonomics.

According to LG's engineers, the curved screen is shaped after the natural form of human sight and vision and is the most optimal form for any display, providing equal distance from all parts of the screen to the human eyes. The degree of curvature is also based on some careful scientific calculations such that the resulting screen neatly envelopes your field of sight and draws you naturally into the centre of the action. It is only now made possible thanks to OLED TV technology.

P/s  As there are rumours that Panasonic will also be introducing their OLED TVs soon, I thought it is more appropriate to change the title of this thread to the OLED TV Thread so that discourse can include OLED from all other manufacturers as well.

My bet is curve screen won't last...it's all marketing.  Human eyes are attracted to curves... most men may agree.  But watching distorted pictures is irritating... when 4:3 pictures were shown on 16:9 screens in early days....I hated they stretched across the screens. Every one looks fat.

I don't understand this curve thing. When you take a picture or a video, what is captured is some near and some far away images. Even if you take a picture of a flat wall, the sides are further away than the centre. So when reproduced in a photo or a screen, shouldn't these be viewed flat, as per how the camera sees it? If you looked at a large curved photo, wouldn't the picture be compressed horizontally? Wouldn't the sides look nearer than it should be?

one theory about the curved thingy... could it be meant for cinema nia?

since last time many audience ma, so those at the side can see better?

But those sitting on one side of large curved screen would see the far side well but will see the near side from a very steep angle right?  I think curve screens are made for the benefit of those in the centre.  To be fair to everyone, should have a convex screen - everyone will have a good view of an equal portion of the screen (but no one gets a good view of the entire screen!).

But those sitting on one side of large curved screen would see the far side well but will see the near side from a very steep angle right?  I think curve screens are made for the benefit of those in the centre.  To be fair to everyone, should have a convex screen - everyone will have a good view of an equal portion of the screen (but no get a good view of the entire screen!).

Wide screens in cinemas are curved to get rid of the image pin-cushion distortion created from using an anamorphic lens to stretch out the image horizontally.

In the case of the LG 55" OLED TV, the curvature is quite slight, the edges are about 1.4" (3.6cm) forward of the centre of the screen - not a large geometrical effect.  But again this is subjective.  Some will like it, others will find it simply distracting.

The negative part is that it is tilted slightly backwards so it is best placed on axis or lower than our line of view. It also cannot be wall mounted as the crystal stand is part of the whole TV.