What was yr very first set up?

Guest wusplay

18 years ago. Chowbotak said mini combo don't count as first setup

Still I started with an Aiwa mini combo, fondly remembered that it sound wonderful. Regret i didn't take a photo.

Edited by wusplay

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nostalgia. In 2006, thats when I join xtremeplace. Still manage to pull out pictures which was posted then.

5.1 System

LCR : Heco Odeon Tower 1

Surrounds / Sub : Castle Compact

AVR : Yamaha 2600

Source : Oppo, Xbox, Playstation

For my bedroom is a Pioneee HTIB.

PICT1270.jpg

PICT1273.jpg

Edited by wcseow

Over thirty years ago, after graduating and started work, rewarded myself with my first HiFi set, consisting of Nakamichi cassette tape deck, Philips CDP, Onkyo tuner, Audiolab 8000A integrated, Rogers LS6a speakers, some expensive speaker cable from Atlas.

I must say the above config gave me decades of enjoyment. A decade later, a Harman Kardon AVR was added to the mix. Enjoyed that until I refreshed everything in 2010.

Guess what, the 8000A and LS6a is doing living room duties today with a Pi3+DAC HAT as the source. 30years of service without fail, just amazing how reliable old technology is!!

Edited by Boxerfan88

10 hours ago, wusplay said:

18 years ago. Chowbotak said mini combo don't count as first setup

Still I started with an Aiwa mini combo, fondly remembered that it sound wonderful. Regret i didn't take a photo.

Holy cow, 18 years liao!?

14 minutes ago, Boxerfan88 said:

Over thirty years ago, after graduating and started work, rewarded myself with my first HiFi set, consisting of Nakamichi cassette tape deck, Philips CDP, Onkyo tuner, Audiolab 8000A integrated, Rogers LS6a speakers, some expensive speaker cable from Atlas.

I must say the above config gave me decades of enjoyment. A decade later, a Harman Kardon AVR was added to the mix. Enjoyed that until I refreshed everything in 2010.

Guess what, the 8000A and LS6a is doing living room duties today with a Pi3+DAC HAT as the source. 30years of service without fail, just amazing how reliable old technology is!!

Which mk is your 8000a?

On 8/7/2002 at 10:08 PM, Chowbotak said:

Pl share yr very first proper hifi setup that u had - separates, not mini compo.

source, amp, spkrs, cables etc. curious da! ;D

No pics.

Polk Audio CS150(STILL SPEAKING!)+S6 Fronts(now waiting for reseal on drivers)+Wharfedale Diamond 3(temporary retired)+Sherwood RV6030(up lorry)+Panasonic LX-K550 LDP(up lorry)

1st setup after a kenwood mini compo:

1) Rega Apollo cdp

2) Creek Destiny integrated amplifier

3) Vandersteen 1C speakers

4) Cash Converter Sony plastic automatic turntable

5) W&M powercord, aural symphonics interconnects, Nanotec goldenstrada spk cables

KIF_1374.JPG

Inherited from my late grandfather in mid-1970s, before some of you were born
Thorens TD124 + Pickering cartridge
Leak Stereo 30 amplifier
Wharfedale speakers
(+ waltz records) - the Leak constantly broke down in our weather, the insides rusted too

My first system bought with money saved from NS
Luxman amplifier
Akai GXC 46D
Electro Voice EV10b speakers
All connected by red and black wires
(this system played many cassettes recorded on TDK tape by the record shops)

8 years later, my first serious system
Exposure 6, 7, and 8 electronics
Manticore Mantra TT/Magician arm/AT OC9
Polk Audio Monitor 10b speakers
All wires from Exposure
(this system launched my LP fetish)

Wow, an 18 year old thread!

My first was in secondary school, some 30+ years ago. It was an old beat up integrated amp I think was Sherwood or something like that, my uncle gave it to me if I'm not mistaken. I hooked it up to an old cassette player and some small little speakers.

Had no knowledge of hifi back then, so I basically just hooked up many small speakers I'd salvaged from various places all together in parallel, and that became my hifi for many years until my first foray into real hifi when I went into Polytechnic. I actually took up Electronics in Poly because of my budding interest in hifi and electronics.

My first "real" hifi was a Creek 4040, Denon CDP and Tannoy 605 speakers. Still remember that got me thru Poly and NS.

3 minutes ago, silencer131624705802 said:

Wow, an 18 year old thread!

My first was in secondary school, some 30+ years ago. It was an old beat up integrated amp I think was Sherwood or something like that, my uncle gave it to me if I'm not mistaken. I hooked it up to an old cassette player and some small little speakers....

Ur uncle time it's either SANSUI or SHERWOOD or FISHER. Denon/Marantz/Pioneer/Kenwood creeps in after mid 80s.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, YANG said:

Ur uncle time it's either SANSUI or SHERWOOD or FISHER. Denon/Marantz/Pioneer/Kenwood creeps in after mid 80s.

Yup, then probably it was Sherwood. I remember it was gold and brown, had fixed power cord and speaker terminals were those spring loaded ones to fit in bare wire.

38 minutes ago, blue_starfish said:

Inherited from my late grandfather in mid-1970s, before some of you were born
Thorens TD124 + Pickering cartridge
Leak Stereo 30 amplifier
Wharfedale speakers
(+ waltz records) - the Leak constantly broke down in our weather, the insides rusted too

My first system bought with money saved from NS
Luxman amplifier
Akai GXC 46D
Electro Voice EV10b speakers
All connected by red and black wires
(this system played many cassettes recorded on TDK tape by the record shops)

8 years later, my first serious system
Exposure 6, 7, and 8 electronics
Manticore Mantra TT/Magician arm/AT OC9
Polk Audio Monitor 10b speakers
All wires from Exposure
(this system launched my LP fetish)

Mine was also funded by my NS pay...

AIWA gets hot somewhere when i was in my Sec.3 with their first "walkman* cassette player' that is slim and compact with the aide of NiCD bar type battery.

AIWA's journey started with personal portable audio device, then to portable mini compo, by the time their products are non-movable, that's late 80s oredi... With those Mid-Fi systems that were not separable, cassette decks, Radio, turntable, and equalizer all blend into one box.

16 minutes ago, YANG said:

AIWA gets hot somewhere when i was in my Sec.3 with their first "walkman* cassette player' that is slim and compact with the aide of NiCD bar type battery.

AIWA's journey started with personal portable audio device, then to portable mini compo, by the time their products are non-movable, that's late 80s oredi... With those Mid-Fi systems that were not separable, cassette decks, Radio, turntable, and equalizer all blend into one box.

My older cousin was from Akai midi system to separates Harman Kardon amp & cdp with big 3-way Celestion bookshelves which, to me, was really hifi sounding...

Akai was another popular brand back then...

Edited by kinger

I'm not sure if mine really qualifies as well.

My first set was in 1993 when I was in secondary school.. got a hand-me-down Cyrus integrated amp and Tannoy bookshelves.

Source was only a PC.. with soundblaster pro or some other. ? I could play CDs through the PC, but mostly listened to mod files.. I've always stuck to PC audio.

This later became relegated to a TV speaker when I started playing with other speakers.

Anyone here owned Gale 401, AR3a, AR9, Yamaha NS690, Yamaha NS1000, Pioneer HPM150, Altec Lansing Model 9, Technics SB10000 horns (Lucky Plaza showroom), JVCSX1000, or Bose 901s mk1?

These were what I lusted for when much younger. Believe it or not back then, Technics and JVC had audio showrooms in Lucky Plaza that displayed their top range audio products. Sadly for me, I never got to own any of those I listed. 

As Bro CBT says, you can estimate my age.