ONKYO AV Receiver Owners Thread

glad you came by to enjoy the demo...

but really sad days ahead for the New Onkyo Branding...

my rating was 3.8 out of 5

Matahari  was 3.7 out of 5

Walau.. this kind of low rating for flagship model... did you regret purchase them bro?

These two opinions are enough whether deter many loyal Onkyo fans including myself to keep a distance from Onkyo AVR for now....

I will be missing ONKYO signature sounds...  :'(

Anyway, I do appreciate for your honest opinions. Thx

;)

Local SGD$$$

1) RZ1100 - SGD$2799 (not many being ordered in, so price is on high side)

2) RZ3100 - SGD$3300

3) RZ5100 - SGD$2899 (this is the Pre-amp version, no amps inside)

USD$$$

1) RZ1100 - USD$2199

2) RZ3100 - USD$3199

3) RZ5100 - USD$2399

bro, my opinion is a very honest personal opinion..

the rating given by me, takes into account that Onkyo has overpriced its flagship model too...

if this RZ3100 was priced SGD$1000 less, the ratings would go up.

3.8 rating is actually on the high side....

if i were to get a RZ1100 instead, i would say the ratings would go up significantly!! (say 4.3)

because the American pricing for the RZ1100 is USD$1000 less! ( the RZ1100 is "EXACTLY" the same as the RZ3100, jus 2 internal amps short!! 9.2 vs 11.2 )

sadly the local pricing for the RZ1100 is very very high!! ( so the rating from me for the RZ1100 would drop to 3.5 based on super high local pricing for the rz1100! )

so it would make sence to get the RZ3100 instead...( 2 more amps internally )

Rating of anything less than 2.9 out of 5, would mean it was in deep troubled waters...

3.8 is jus short of 1.2 to achieve perfection.

overall, the onkyo sound signature of old, has given way to one which is very controlled now. a mixed bag of pioneer and denon is what i can hear now..

i have heard the denon 7200 before at my house when i had the multi sub, auro vs atmos, shootout done by our local expert bro Peng ( EconAV)

that time i had the onkyo 3030 vs the denon 7200...

so i know what i heard..

onkyo of old, is known for its raw power push..in the face kind of power...

denon was more of a classical power push.. intricate details...fine hairline power details..

if u read Bro CKT's short review of the Onkyo pre 5100, he also mentions pin point accuracy for the ceiling speakers...

i hear that too in my 3100...plus the four surrounds at ear level.

for me, that brought me back to the denon 7200 prowess..

now for the new rz3100, the front 3 speakers L,C,R channels have been watered down quite a lot...( No more oomph ) (pin point accuracy is there, but no oomph )

might be due to bad implementation of the newest AKM DAC chips used...great for surrounds n overheads, but not for the important front three..

so overall, bro Whitesox, the 3.8 is not really that bad...

jus be prepared for a mixed bag of sound signatures u have never experienced before in the onkyo's.

Cash, aren't you mostly using external power amps anyway and bypassing the internal Onkyo amps?

i have retired my Rotel RMB-1512, 12 Channel power amp. ( too many cables to hook up n messy!! Hehehehe!!! ) (sitting pretty with no power cable attached to it)

thats y i put it up for sale too!

Hehehehe!

Hard to track your ever changing system;)  The Onkyo has enough internal amps for you?  I didn't check the specs but thought most only had 9 amps so you would need an external amp to get to 11

the RZ3100 has 11 amps built in bro....

just like the old NR3030..same same!!

the RZ1100 has 9 amps built in, so u need a stereo amp to power up via pre-outs on the RZ1100 for the extra 2 surround speakers if u have them..

RZ3100 n RZ1100 is identical. jus 11 channel vs 9 channel.. (everything else is the same!!)

both have 11 pre-outs for external power amps if u choose to.

Hi,

I just realised there is latest firmware update available from ONKYO-website for my ONKYO 5010.

After downloaded it to my thumb-drive (via USB), I noticed there is only one ZIP file.

Do I need to un-zip it first before I plug in to my AVR ?

or

No need to un-zip... ONKYO 5010 will be smart enough to 'un-zip' while updating the firmware.

Seeking for your advise. Thanks

:)

u must unzip it.

and don't copy the actual .zip file into the usb thumb drive!!

copy everything after extraction, (except the .zip file) into the thumb drive.

if possible, pls make sure there are no other (your own files) files in that particular thumb drive too

u must unzip it.

and don't copy the actual .zip file into the usb thumb drive!!

copy everything after extraction, (except the .zip file) into the thumb drive.

if possible, pls make sure there are no other (your own files) files in that particular thumb drive too

pdf instructions attached below...

click on the link.

then read page 3 of pdf.

http://www.intl.onkyo.com/support/firmware/pdf/SN29401357_FWU_12_ONK_En_120619_web.pdf

Thanks bro...  you are ONKYO expert !  ;)

Cheers :)

• 2 weeks later...

U can come my place to listen to it. The rz3100...

11.2.8 channels hooked up..

I will be free tomorrow, Wednesday, till Saturday..

Currently overseas now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...