ONKYO AV Receiver Owners Thread

Onkyo reliability is always an annoy issue, hdmi board can fried an egg on it. Read a lot of horror story from avs forum and from some Xtreme forumers also. Thus resale value in the past has not been good.

For what I read mostly old stories that belong to old gen Onkyo.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 4

Agreed to a certain extent...there has been alot of complains about the HDMI outboard been "fried" due to heat-related issue...And yes, Onkyo does run "hotter" compared to it rivals. The last AVR I used was Denon AVR-X4000 and it runs much cooler than my current Onkyo TX-NR929.

So far, *touched wood*, my experiences with the last two Onkyo AVRs had been pleasant to say the least, it runs hot, no doubt about that...so to overcome heat problem, I always place my AVR on top of the rack to ensure maximum cooling effect. And so far so good, I sold off my TX-NR3007 after almost 1.5yrs and sold my TX-NR3008 after almost coming to 2.5yrs.

:P

929 is 2 years warranty. You should have more peace of mind than any of us. Lol.

929 is 2 years warranty. You should have more peace of mind than any of us. Lol.

Yep...starting from this model onwards...Hwee Seng will be giving 2 yrs warranty.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk HD

Guest francishuang

2 yrs now?!

wow..  maybe the 929 over the x4000 then. how much does it goes for now?

but if I change to a avr using rca pre out, I gota change all my cables and it may cost more than the avr itself...

I do not need the power module, just the balance pre out.

2 yrs now?!

wow..  maybe the 929 over the x4000 then. how much does it goes for now?

but if I change to a avr using rca pre out, I gota change all my cables and it may cost more than the avr itself...

I do not need the power module, just the balance pre out.

The Onkyo 929 now selling for $1,799 at Alpha Audio...if you are interested.

Those who got fried, do u use any extra fan to cool it? Those who have been to my place would probably seen me placing a $10 laptop fan on top of my 5508. Absolutely made the unit cool like in standby mode. Strongly encourage everyone to try it! A little gadget to protect your investment.

Onkyo is so far my preferred brand for HT as well. Dynamic impactful sound which is more suited for movies. Furthermore it is always competitively priced and gives lots of features for the price. Highly vfm.

I think only Onkyo 929 with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 DOES NOT have the SubEQ HT feature, the rest does...so long it has Audyssey MultEQ XT32. You can look at the previous generation like TX-NR5010...one bro is selling in the forum now.

What subEQ sets out to do, it is similar to antimode? Does antimode handle eqing of multiple subs at multiple location?

Thx

What subEQ sets out to do, it is similar to antimode? Does antimode handle eqing of multiple subs at multiple location?

Thx

SubEQ HT allows individual calibration of two subwoofers. Moreover SubEQ HT is a component of Audyssey MultEQ XT 32 package and it will also interact with the speakers crossover for optimum results whereas Antimode targets on LFE only. Personally if I have Audyssey MultEQ XT32 with SubEQ HT, I will not even consider Antimode at all since Audyssey clearly is more superior than Antomode. Antimode will probably be a good investment for those without Audyssey MultEQ XT32 like Pioneer or even Yamaha AVR that utilize different kind of audio calibration algorithm...

But some members probably have better result with Antimode. The latest version off Antimode 2.0 IIRC is able to calibrate two subwoofers independently as well.

Guest francishuang

There isnt really anything sigificant to add to the pre pro line now, cept for more channels. No newer auddessy than the xt32

They may be holding out for hdmi 2.0 and the new 4k audio codecs

Anway fyi, I am not sure if the onkyo pre pro are really a full balance design. But using similar model rca n xlr cables to compare, using xlr do sound more quiet n dynamic on my previous 5508 and now dead 5509

Guest francishuang

Hdmi board... they will charge exp n take very long. Will just order one back n fix it, get a interim to tong for a while 1st.

Busi from hari raya  period till now. Haven on my ht in mths. Cny holz coming up, wana enjoy. Lol

Ears chest butt heart all itchy liao