The Cinema of Bollywood

I am originally going to post in the foreign movies thread but I am thinking whatheheck. This deserves a special thread on its own.

I just walked out of Mustafa with these movies...

Kahaani, I saw it on a flight and when it ended, my jaw dropped open. It has been some time a film had such an awesome payoff in the end. I wanted to tell the guy sitting next to me to forget about Argo and watch this. The euphoria lasted quite a while and it made me feel so lonely becoz I was sitting across 3 empty seats and was all by my lonesome. It would have been perfect if my wife was with me to share the moment with me. This week I will find time to enjoy this with her in my home cinema.

The Dirty Picture is a recommendation by the sweetest Indian colleague after I told her I enjoyed Vidya Balan's acting in Kahaani. She told me this is fantastic. Even the salesman in Mustafa highly recommended this.

Kal Ho Naa Ho is an old one but a classic. A couple of years I attended a Bollywood dancing class <ahem  ;)> and l learned a cute dance choreographed to a tune in this film. The salesman also told me I made a great choice.

Talaash has Aamir Khan... period!  It's also bro Avonez's recommendation. No need to think.

When I paid up at the cashier. The lady smiled at me and asked whether I can understand the language. Of course not... even my Chinese is half past six, no need to talk about the Indian language. I could feel the pride in her as she billed me... made me recall the time I saw 3 Idiots at the Bombay Talkies cinema. When my wife (then girlfriend) and I sauntered into that strange place, everyone smiled at us like we were guests-of-honor.

I already have a lot of Aamir Khan films in my collection and I want to add more awesome Bollywood films in my collection. Please chip in and share your love for the cinema of Bollywood.

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

always cheaper to buy hindi blurays on ebay from sellers in india. fast shipping too.

rab ne bana di jodi is very good, and so is the new srk flick jab tak hai jaan - but you can't forget the  classics

sholay is a remarkable film that is still being showed in cinemas after 30 years

and yes kahani is really good, much much better than the dirty picture

rowdy rathore and dabangg are pure nonsense, but such wonderful nonsense

Nice catch, bro web. For Bollywood, stick close to the 3 Khans if unsure.

Caught Jab Tak Hai Jaan few weeks back, a la Hurt locker with a romantic twist. It's bollywood acclaimed romance Director , Yash Chopra last film starring one of the Khans. The main motivation for me to catch this was to re-visit Ladakh & Pangong Tso again, after experiencing its beauty in 3 Idiots.

Kahaani - think I watched this too...spy story , correct ? Nice ending must agreed.

Correct. But saying its a spy movie is already saying too much I feel. This is one of those few films in the world that fits into the the-less-you-know-the-better-it-is category.

Ok the stuff I have now...

I didn't start with 3 Idiots (which IMHO is a movie you need to watch before you die and it's also one you can watch again and again). My first one is also an Aamir Khan classic, Lagaan. A wonderful and extraordinary film about the human spirit. It's also a tutorial lesson on the fundamentals of the game of cricket.

Taare Zameen Par (Every Child is Special) is a brilliant one too. Aamir Khan acts and directs a film that I feel all teachers need to watch to remember why they want to teach in the first place.

I also have Fanaa but have not seen it yet.

Ghajini copied Nolan's Memento idea and make it his. You want to know how far the Memento idea can go?  Look no further. Just watch Aamir Khan's bod and drool  :-*

Endhiran is ridiculously over the top and it took itself too seriously. Ultimate mayhem. But still it's a fun watch.

I think I have My Name is Khan somewhere but it may be have been given to Kzone during my big DVD9 clear-out.

Some films recommended by my Indian students and a colleague include Kabhi Kushi Kabhi Gham, Dabangg, Ek Tha Tiger, Satyamev Jayate. It's been some time since I last visited Mustafa's Bollywood Blu-ray glass cabinet. There are a lot of new stuff there!  :P

Wow, this thread made me dig out my VCDs:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2jNt8Xwr2uARE1MVzBGMWl1T2c/edit?usp=sharing

Kabhi Kushi Kabhi Gham aka K3G is an epic that must be watched.

Great music/dance for Kal Ho Naa Ho & Kuch Kuch Hota Hai.

Others include:

Mohabbatein

Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi

Devdas

Josh

Asoka

A more recent film is Jab Tak Hai Jaan & do check out Katrina Kaif ;D

Actually so far, can't go wrong on any film from Yash Chopra.

Just saw Kahaani again. The second time is still amazing. Still the first time is the best becoz of the big wallop at the end. It's like The Sixth Sense and The Usual Suspects big ending but the difference here is that Kahaani's big ending also has heart with a capital H. Tonight is also fun becoz I play along with my wife who kept going wooh AHHhhhh WTF how can do that to her... the ending floored her and me again.

The second time seeing this is not at all lame becoz tonight I see the director's craft, the tight plot and Vidya Balan's impeccable acting. Tonight I see the motivation behind every little action she does - how she faints, how she slips etc. I thought there were loopholes the first time I saw this but tonight I realized there are not. Every little scene, everything she does, everything she says has a purpose in the huge scheme of things. Some of the lines are so loaded that only a careful second viewing will yield these chestnuts of treasures.

Not since 3 Idiots has an Hindi movie make me want to rave about it. And I have seen a fair lot in between.

Now the technical part...

The PQ is nothing to rave about. Skin tones look pasty and flat but the colours are vibrant. Looks grainy in dark scenes but there are not many inky black scenes. There's a translucent watermark at the bottom right corner but it never disturb me. Picture is widescreen so there are black bars on top and below. 3/5

The SQ is very immersive from start to end. Surrounds are always engaging especially in the traffic scenes. The final climatic scene at Triangular Park during the Punja festival is amazing. Bass is also very potent and solid. The music soundtrack is pretty solid too. 4.5/5

Can someone tell me the meaning of the word "Kahaani" please?

Saw Kahaani again. My third time, my wife's second and for 8 other friends who had long given up on Hindi movies, their very first time.

I must say it's one of the best times I have had sharing an awesome film with so many pals.  Even though it's my third time this year seeing this film, I saw nuances that I have missed prior. It's testament to an outstanding film that bears up even seeing it for a third time. Tonight I caught a scene where Rana tells Vidya that she will make a good mother and seeing a quick scene of Vidya averting her soulful gaze away. Her pain is evident. Tonight I noticed that her slip while being chased by Shridhar was intentional. Tonight I realized that a possible way into the film is the concept of identity - What is it?  What's in a person's name?  Vidya goes through lots of annoyance to spell her name with a 'V' but everybody pronounces it with a 'B'.  She asks Rana why he is also named Satyoki. He says in Kolkata everybody has two names.  She also says he is also Arjuna’s charioteer... I need to google that.

Tonight I saw beyond the taut and intricate plot and realized there are no redundant scenes. Every scene serves a purpose.  Tonight I saw Rana's deep affection for Vidya. I shuddered to use the bigger word 'love' because it is not in Rana's mantra to do that to Vidya. If he helps her find Arnab, she will be gone. If he can't find Arnab, she will be heartbroken. It's a doomed love any which way. But did Vidya used Rana? Teased him to do her bidding?  The jury is still out for me on that but I trust Rana's intentions are sincere. It is their chemistry and undercurrent that gives the investigative story it's potency.

The climax setting at the Puja celebrations is absolutely emphatic because the Goddess Durga is a dragon-slayer who embodies maternal instincts.  During this last climatic scene, the HT really comes alive as though it's the scene where heaven and earth collides... And it did.  Nothing, absolutely nothing in the first 1hr 45min can foretell what happens in the end but yet all the clues are there. The director has deftly made us focus on the other stuff... like magic.  The sleight of hand is perfect. 

Tonight I realized that Amitabh Bachchan voiced the final narration and sang the theme song over the running credits. After being mesmerized by his acting and the rich timbre of his voice in Mohabbatein, I would recognize his voice anytime.

All through the movie I thought Vidya Balan is an actress I have never seen before. It turns out that I have seen her in Ishqiya and Paa, but I didn't 'see' her in these films at all. She is so good in this that I can't see any other actress in it.

It was very enjoyable seeing all my friends' shocked reactions at the big reveal and falling action. So far all I have shared the film with only have nice words to say about it... All except the assassin, Bob. But I do find him refreshing. For once he is not those type of assassins that are send to kill Jason Bourne. He is a bumbling idiot that you would not look at one moment longer if you see him on the street and yet he is a cold hard killer. He, doing the sign of the cross after he deftly dispatches his victims is so incongruous but yet effective.

This film was my way back into the cinema of Bollywood. I have not given scores to films I have seen this year but I feel like giving one (not a score of 'one'  :)) to this one.

5 / 5

PS - I just found out that there's a sequel scheduled to open in 2014. Oh no... This feels like a big wrong move. Kahaani is perfect as it is already.

Thanks bro  ;)

Now it makes the story of Kahaani even better becoz 'story' takes it to another level of reading the film.

Tonight we may try Kal Ho Naa Ho. This one is a 3+ hour film. Have to break it up to watch!!

Just saw the first half of Kal Ho Naa Ho. I had no idea there are so many elements of screwball comedy in this. Took me awhile to get pass all the over-acting but the moment Shah Rukh Khan started on a Hindi version of Pretty Woman, I was pulled in. The plot is simple but the energy infectious.

There's something about people dancing in the street without a care in the world that is so cool. I think the movie-going world is divided into 2 parts - people who can believe in its beauty and people who think its crap. If you can let that euphoria wash over you and take your 'self' out of the equation, it can be quite an amazing experience.

All through to just 2 minutes before the intermission is screwball territory. I have a strong feeling the tone will totally change in the second half. Looking forward to watch the rest this weekend.

The PQ is excellent, easily a 4.5/5 and SQ 4.5/5 too. Once the film explodes into the song and dance segments, the 5.1 becomes ALIVE!!

One of my faves from the movie in the first half. It captures the exact feeling when we fall in love to a tee

[embed=425,349]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAqei1c6hH4&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/embed]

+ 1.  I can see why the Indians love their movies.  It can be infectious as u continue to watch the many movies with very high entertainment value, especially, those with singing and dancing.  Makes u really happy after the show! :)