Smart Phones from PRC

Just want to bring awareness to Bros in this forum!

There are many Smart Phones coming out from PRC that can rival those from Korea, Japan, Europe and the States, viz a viz, pricing and specs!

See this....http://www.gizchina.com/2013/03/05/poll-neo-n003-vs-iocean-x7-vs-umi-x2-vs-jiayu-g4/

Take for example, my recent acquired Oppo Find 5.  This amazing Jelly Bean unit has been entertaining me for the past 2 weeks with its 5" 1080p gorgeous display.  Watching movies with Dolby sound on it is simply amazing, the clarity...

I am now getting the hang of the OS as the UI is very close to the iPhone.  They are many undiscovered gems awaiting me.. :)

Folks, there are choices other than Samsung, LG, Nokia, HTC, Apple.....etc

Buy smart! ;D

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played a bit with Francis' Oppo the other day. I have to say that screen is gorgeous.

The UI as is the case with many China brands smacks of an Apple me too design even if it runs on Android. I guess Samsung has proven you can get away with copying. The icons for messaging, camera, calendar etc look nigh identical to Apple's in addition to the 4 "fixed" icon at the bottom, something not seen in the stock 4.x Android OS.

So it is fairly easy to transition from iOS to this UI.

For me, the crucial thing is that I have already invested a fair bit of $ on the iOS ecosystem particularly the apps so it makes it hard to move out of that platform. Unless more developers start to pull off a Tapatalk and make you pay for v2 of their software making their older version obsolete.

price looks very good. :)

any idea what technology is the screen?

i think the other aspects that we probably have to think about are warranty, servicing, software updates (and relation to work email, etc), security and fringe functions like NFC.

How much is the Oppo Find 5? any english info out there?

Oppo is an international brand now ever since their BDP debut. 

You can pre order the domestic model now at their Opposhop.com.cn but not sure whether they will do international shipping or not.  Is also available for preorder at any Oppo Telco shops in Shenzhen.  The international model is also available for preorder at their US site.

The domestic one (I one I have) is going for 2998 RMB.  The firmware mostly in Chinese can be updated with the international firmware given by the Oppo Tech Team which I have done so thru' their site forum (in English).  It's very easy to root it.

http://store.opposhop.com.cn/goods/67

The UI Oppo adopted is very very close to the iPhone so no problem as far as transition is concerned.

Quest, the screen is the IPS type.

Other than the Oppo, the rest supports dual sim cards!  Yes the iOcean 7 with the price of 999 rmb looks very very attractive.  Those who travel will find this very handy.

The new Sony Xperia Z costs $988 with no contract! :P

Shot this just outside Mac at Bugis while waiting for a Bro to collect his Hdmi cables.

Got a clone Samsung Note 2 for $120 for a friend couple of weeks ago from Shenzhen.  Have to check with him and see whether any problems so far or not.

I would recommend that you don't buy clones which are very unreliable.  Get the real stuff from well known manufacturers that I have posted.  You pay a little bit more but you are ensured of quality and durability.  These are steals.

Like I said, there are better and cheaper alternatives than the mainstream.

Zopo and Oppo, LOL. Where do they come up with the names? :)

Anyway, thanks Francis for the hospitality and showing me your Oppo and HTC. The Oppo's screen really is good. Watching a scene from Dredd which I saw on the awful SIA plane screen to Manila the other week, it was like seeing a different movie haha.

Bro, Oppo and some other popular brands are available internationally.  Check their websites for more info on this.

You can definitely get them in Shenzhen or Hong Kong at the Mongkok mobile retail shops.

Happy shopping. :)