SINE Products Review Thread

SINE Mega6 Mini-Review

Disclaimer

I am not affiliated to SINE or Qubes_Audio  in anyway.

Objective

The intent of this mini-review is to share my impression of the above mentioned product when in comparison to my 1-month old Oyaide MTS-6 (with 1 R1 receptacle). Why Oyaide? I know a lot of bros here are also using Oyaide MTS-6 and would like to know the “Fight” against the SINE Mega6. Not to mention, I only have the Oyaide MTS-6 for comparison. Hahah.

At the same time, for owners of SINE products to share their impressions.

Intro

Anyone who is into audio long enough will know the theory of “rubbish-in, rubbish-out”. I am one that never really believes in all this when I first venture into this audio journey 2 years ago into head-fi. To me, it is just AC power. What can it possibly help in the audio reproduction just by changing the AC receptacles, powercords, power distributor? I did my research and found lots of discussion and I am convinced that these are just “snake-oil”.

Cut to the chase – my view totally changed when I had my first taste of powercord upgrade. And soon enough, the rest (i.e. power distributor) “kicked in”. These things really do work!

I would urge all audio enthusiasts to have an open-mind and judge with your ears. :) Listening is believing!

The Poison

Last week, a friend of mine bought the Mega6 distributor from the Hifi show and agreed to loan it to me for a week (for audition). How generous! “Thanks” dhan! <- Notice the quotes? :P 

Build Quality

This thing is build like a tank! Very heavy and no screw is used! This helps to prevent any vibration caused by screw loose, therefore improving audio performance. Last week during the Hifi show, I am still very skeptical about the performance of SINE receptacles and asked the SINE folks about changing them to Oyaide R1. (The answer is NO. This tank cannot be dismantled). But after several days of running-in…. I don’t think that is really necessary.

The “Fight”

My Oyaide MTS-6 is installed with 1 R1 receptacle.

In comparison, the Oyaide MTS-6 is much lighter.

My Humble Setup

Personally, I am never a fan of Silver stuff. Hence, I always like to choose Copper-related products.

Source: Marantz Ki-Pearl

Amp: Densen DM20/30

Speaker: B&W 805N

Speaker cable: Telos Gold

Powercord: Telos Gold, Acrolink 4030II, Shunyata Venom3

Interconnect: Audio-Gd cables

CDs used for this mini-review

Day 1 - Initial impression (Sunday, 04 Dec 11)

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=54488.msg735589#msg735589

Initial listen was bad (overwhelming, uncontrolled bass).... but just only after 7 hours of run-in....the entire impression changed.....it totally pwned my MTS-6 (with one R1 receptacle).

Piano, cymbals and drums become much more accurate. The soundstage widen and deepen. When i try it with some classical music, only one word can describe it. SHIOK.

As for vocal, it seems like the singer's voice has raised (to standing position - very real life!). Will further confirm my findings with this beast running in (dont know whether it is due to placebo because of new-toy excitement symptom).

Day 2 (Monday, 05 Dec 11)

As the initial listen was pretty impressive, I was thinking of “upgrading” my distributor. Hence, I invited friend A (head-fi) over for a listen. We did a ABA comparison.

The sound signature of Mega6 has changed 180 degree. It becomes:

- Very boomy

- Lacking in mid/high bass (Punch not there)

- warm (thick sounding vocal)

- Clarity not there (sounds congested)

Nonetheless, clapping sound, piano and cymbals still sounded ok. The bass extension is much lower when compared to my Oyaide MTS-6. In comparison, it seems like the Oyaide MTS-6’s bass extension rolled-off pretty early but it does provide better clarity and punch.

Winner – Oyaide MTS-6 (Friend A and myself both preferred the Oyaide)

Day 3 (Tuesday, 06 Dec 11)

Today, the Mega6 distributor sounded even worse! It became very very warm and the tonality is totally off. Music is unlistenable!

I was wondering – how can a piece of gear sounded so bad after some 2 days of burn in? Jia liat, this piece of gear cannot buy, I better stick to my beloved Oyaide MTS-6.

Winner – Oyaide MTS-6

Day 4 (Wednesday, 07 Dec 11)

Today, I invited friend B (just a layman) over for a listen and note his observation. As he is a layman, I had to do AB multiple times (3 times in fact!) for him to note the differences and convey how he feels about the entire music presentation.

In most of the tests (90%), he preferred Mega6 indicating that it can magically create a presence (airy feel) about the music. He even highlighted that he can hear more details when compared to Oyaide-6. He reckoned that Mega6 is better as it provides a more complete presentation of the music (good high and low extension)

As for my own observation, Mega6 has become less warm, airy (creation of ambience), tighter bass control, good details, but still, music is still not as clear/sharp when compared to Oyaide MTS-6. 

Winner – Mega6

Day 5 (Thurday, 08 Dec 11)

No time for audition. Went for Chris Botti’s concert. :)

Day 6 (Friday, 09 Dec 11)

Friend A popped by again to audition Mega6. After several listens of the same audition songs, he commented “wow, is this the same distributor that day? Now the presentation is very musically, good controlled bass and good clarity. Now, your Oyaide MTS-6 sounded bright in comparison. Mega6 is more real-life like!” 

Mega6 is no longer warm and is now able to achieve what the Oyaide MTS-6 can achieve. Amazing!

Side note: After Friend A left, I got my sister to test her CDs (her favorite Korean OSTs. E.g. Secret garden). She gave me a thumb-ups.

Winner – Mega6

Conclusion

On Day 7, this morning, I reconfirmed my findings. I play the usual audition songs and I can hear that the sound is refining.

In short, Mega6 provides (when compared with MTS-6):

• Wider and deeper soundstage

• Better imaging

• Lower bass extension

• Airy (creation of ambience/presense)

• Detailed

• More musical presentation

• Laid-back (MTS-6 is more forward)

• Attack is a tiny little bit slower

One thing to note from my initial impression: Singer’s voice did not "rise" (after several days of burn in – could be placebo).

SINE Mega6 is a “mystical beast”. It has refused to perform at its best for the first few days.  But if you allow it to run-in, it will then show you its magic. :D 

What mesmerises me the most is the sound of piano and the low bass extension which MTS-6 is unable to satisfy me. IMO, this is one worthy distributor to consider, considering it is less than 1k (it’s a steal).

Like I said, “Be warned, there’s no turning back once you listen to it”. :D

Now, the one week loan is up and I have to return the distributor to my friend.  :'(

Do share your own impression about SINE product if any. I am curious about their interconnects and powercords too.

Enjoy da the music, my friends!  ;D

Cheers

Note: These are just my personal observations/experiences. I understand that there are better distributors out there and will always keep an open-mind to watch out those within my budget. :) Also, do pardon me for my limited audio-vocab :)

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for a very informative read.  :D

A small OT - Since u did mention it, I was also at e Chris Botti concert. The music was just superb. No matter how we upgrade/tweak a system, it can never be better than listening to it Live at e Esplanade IMvHO!

Thanks for a very informative read.  :D

A small OT - Since u did mention it, I was also at e Chris Botti concert. The music was just superb. No matter how we upgrade/tweak a system, it can never be better than listening to it Live at e Esplanade IMvHO!

hahaha, of course. Live performance is still da best! Impressive performance.

I was totally blown off by Lisa Fisher. <- did i get her name right?

I am just kinda disappointed because STING is not one of the invited guest. :P

I too own a Mega 6. Bought in HK much cheaper hehehe. Built like a tank, oyaide distributors absolutely no fight compared to this solid aluminium beast.

I did not do such a detailed AB as the ts, i just plugged it in and forget about it. I have been using it for more than a month. I could not say that it improved the music by leaps and bounds, but it did not impair the music neither. I feel that there is some loss in dynamics. I use it for my digital sources, and not for my power amp. I would say that power cables have a more noticeable effect than the distributor itself.

But at this price, nothing beats the Mega 6.

I too own a Mega 6. Bought in HK much cheaper hehehe. Built like a tank, oyaide distributors absolutely no fight compared to this solid aluminium beast.

I did not do such a detailed AB as the ts, i just plugged it in and forget about it. I have been using it for more than a month. I could not say that it improved the music by leaps and bounds, but it did not impair the music neither. I feel that there is some loss in dynamics. I use it for my digital sources, and not for my power amp. I would say that power cables have a more noticeable effect than the distributor itself.

But at this price, nothing beats the Mega 6.

In my case, the distributor did contribute a major improvement. As for the robbing of dynamics, I did not detect it (maybe my ears not sensitive enough).

But I totally agree with you, power cables also play a very important role, especially IMO the powercord that connects from the wall socket to the distributor.

Previously, I tried to connect Oyaide Tunami (GPX-R) from my wall to MTS-6. It totally rob me of the high and low frequency!

Personally I would rather run power products like distributors for at least 300-600 hrs before any meaning ful comparison can be drawn. Typically the metal parts in these thing are massively thick and even power cables ( which are not as thick) benefit from a long run in.

I might be wrong but I really love to hear your observations in a month or 2 to see whether they change or not. I'll wager that even the Oyaide is not run in yet.

My 2 cents only.

Personally I would rather run power products like distributors for at least 300-600 hrs before any meaning ful comparison can be drawn. Typically the metal parts in these thing are massively thick and even power cables ( which are not as thick) benefit from a long run in.

I might be wrong but I really love to hear your observations in a month or 2 to see whether they change or not. I'll wager that even the Oyaide is not run in yet.

My 2 cents only.

Good point. I will wait for my friend's impression then. :P

As for my own Oyaide MTS-6, it is ON 24/7 for the passed 1 month. It should be more or less run in.

The sound signature for my Oyaide did not change much even from the initial run-in.

From previous experience, I understand silver will typically take a longer time to run in. Copper is much faster. Let's see how it goes.

If anyone have a run-in MTS-6 or Mega6, do free feel to share your impression/experiences. I am curious to know how these distributors fare after a thorough run-in.

Bro zaek,

Wow! Very impressed by your review. You can be a reviewer liao. It was nicely written and well describe.

Infact, I was asked by Qubes Audio to try out the SA-4 & the Mega 6 power distributors when the stock first arrived here. Well, I have to fully agreed with Bro Zaek's review about the impression of the outcome of the Mega 6.

Till now my unit has already run for 1 month plus and I can say it make my setup a notch higher. No regrets at all as it replaced my Exactpower conditioner with Oyaide R1 Receptacles.

I must say the running in process is abit annoying as it kept changes in the signatures. The 2nd, 3rd & 4th day is thr worst i experience with lots of boom in my setup, the highs, mids doesn't gel together with the bass too as what Bro Zaek had described.

Overall I would fully recommend the Mega 6 distributor if ones wants a good value for money power distributors.

Now, I'm trying this......

My exact sentiments bro Stealth...

Just installed the fuses, needs running in.. Sound has become more dynamic, but edgy.. Wait...

Bro zaek,

Wow! Very impressed by your review. You can be a reviewer liao. It was nicely written and well describe.

Infact, I was asked by Qubes Audio to try out the SA-4 & the Mega 6 power distributors when the stock first arrived here. Well, I have to fully agreed with Bro Zaek's review about the impression of the outcome of the Mega 6.

Till now my unit has already run for 1 month plus and I can say it make my setup a notch higher. No regrets at all as it replaced my Exactpower conditioner with Oyaide R1 Receptacles.

I must say the running in process is abit annoying as it kept changes in the signatures. The 2nd, 3rd & 4th day is thr worst i experience with lots of boom in my setup, the highs, mids doesn't gel together with the bass too as what Bro Zaek had described.

Overall I would fully recommend the Mega 6 distributor if ones wants a good value for money power distributors.

Thank you for the kind words, Bro stealth.

I am still "young" in this audio journey (considering only 2 years). Long way to to reach your level of "Gong fu". Must guide me along! :D

wahh, more poison!

Bro zaek,

Just installed the fuses, needs running in.. Sound has become more dynamic, but edgy.. Wait...

Bro sjtan & stealth, do share your personal impression on what these little beast can do. :)

Bro zaek,

Bro Sjtan & Bro Stealth, both of you really very fast leh. Now trying SINE fuse ald.  :o

I got the SINE MK plug last week, haven't install yet. I think I should get the 13A SINE fuse as well, can run in at the same time. ;D

My MTS-6 with 2 R1 is very good, but i want better. No budget for the Mega 6 at this moment, will joint you guys later.  :P

Why not replace the wall mains to allow components to be plugged in directly?

It's like sex without condoms. More shiok this way.  ;D

At least the power amp. That needs to be fed directly from the wall.

Even if the power cord feeding the amp needs to be longer, in order to reach from the wall, It will still be better.

Also, remove that mini compo that's on the floor, if not being used.

If that's the only place to store the mini compo, at least short the plus and negative terminals of the speakers if they are not being used.

This to prevent adverse effect to your system's sound from the speakers' magnet.

Usually you notice things like reduce soundstage size, more forward sound perspective, if that stray magnetic field is not being taken care of.

You can neutralize the stray magnetic field just by shorting the plus (+) and negative (-) terminals of the speaker with a short piece of wire, if those speakers are not being used.

Bro Zaek,

Do you have your Oyaide installed the "right" way?

It looks like your R1 is installed at the furthest outlet from the iec inlet. That sounds the worst for the MTS-6 because they daisy chain the outlets together.

Bro Zaek,

Do you have your Oyaide installed the "right" way?

It looks like your R1 is installed at the furthest outlet from the iec inlet. That sounds the worst for the MTS-6 because they daisy chain the outlets together.

It was recommended and installed that way by Audio Basic. I told him that I will be using the R1 receptacle for my cdp. And he mentioned that digital devices should install at the back. Analog devices first in the chain (E.g. poweramp). In any case, is there's a guideline that I must follow in plugging the devices?

Do you mean, it will have a difference by installing it at the front? I might want to give it a try if that's the case. :)

It was recommended and installed that way by Audio Basic. I told him that I will be using the R1 receptacle for my cdp. And he mentioned that digital devices should install at the back. Analog devices first in the chain (E.g. poweramp). In any case, is there's a guideline that I must follow in plugging the devices?

Do you mean, it will have a difference by installing it at the front? I might want to give it a try if that's the case. :)

Bro Zaek,  please try your source (CD player) in the first receptacle, the one closest to the mains cable entry point of the distributor.

Bro Zaek,  please try your source (CD player) in the first receptacle, the one closest to the mains cable entry point of the distributor.

Bro 1AngMoh, I tried that before. It was bad. Think it is because of the receptacle (black color ones). Highs rolled off pretty early, and cymbal sounds like white noise. Mid/low bass was absence (little bit).

In comparison, R1 is much better. Just that it doesn't give me the low extension (not low enough - evident when playing drums' track).

Haha, as I mentioned since both of us are new to this Hifi journey, I dont mind trying equipement (cables, distributor etc) that is different from yours so that we can compared and know its potential.

The next thing to try for me (but not so soon), is the nordost power cord  ;D

The Poison

Last week, a friend of mine bought the Mega6 distributor from the Hifi show and agreed to loan it to me for a week (for audition). How generous! “Thanks” dhan! <- Notice the quotes? :P 

Bro Zaek !

Thanks for the review !!!

Now quite keen to try the Mega6 ... lolz ...

Bro dhan,

Which Nordost power cord ?

Wanna buy together ?  ;D

Haha, as I mentioned since both of us are new to this Hifi journey, I dont mind trying equipement (cables, distributor etc) that is different from yours so that we can compared and know its potential.

Is it the same with the SINE?

I use a different distributor (Quantum QB-8) and for that the best combination is source first, pre-amps mid and power amp rear.

Nope, didnt try your combi (source>>Pre>>Power) with the SINE. With SINE, I plugged Poweramp first, Preamp, and then the last slot with cdp. Good result though.

hahaha, this is also a good way to spread poison.  :P

Bro Zaek !

Thanks for the review !!!

Now quite keen to try the Mega6 ... lolz ...

Thanks!

Bro AvPip, must give it an audition! Good stuff.

Remember to make sure you get a run-in Mega6 for the audition. :D