Larger Flat Screen TV discussion thread (> 50" and more....)

Gone are the days when I stared at my 50" set and felt it was big...

Actually that feeling disappeared about 1 week after I bought it, just that the 60" version was incredibly expensive...

So here is a thread to talk about bigger screens and we all know size matters :)

Right now I still like plasma, so the Panasonic VT 30 (3D or otherwise) is the lead candidate followed by the 8000 series from Samsung which happens to be cheaper too.

Will also consider LEDs but I find that this is still a nascent technology and prices and quality will stabilise later on...

Based on consumer level TV options (excluding the 103" Panny Plasma), actually there's a 70 inch LG 3D LED panel available in retail going for less than 30k.  Below that would be the 65" VT30's followed by the 60 inch offerings from Sony (NX720), Sharp (LE830) and LG (LW65) and finally the 58" VT20.  Sammy will supposedly launch a 60" version for the 8000 as well but not much news is available yet.  I wouldn't even deem a 55 incher to be a screen size worthly of discussion as it's too damm common already.  Just my two cents. ;D

I like the 58VT20 that I just picked up. Quite an upgrade from my 6 year old 42" plasma.

If you pick LCD/LED, you will have to compromise on the light bleeding and non-uniformity. Power is great though.

After watching the free 3D Blu Rays movies, i think getting a 3D set (especially full HD) is the right choice to make.

The experience in 3D is unmatched.

Avatar and Coraline in 3D clearly demonstrate what 3D can bring. But not all movies are made the same.

I like the 58VT20 that I just picked up. Quite an upgrade from my 6 year old 42" plasma.

If you pick LCD/LED, you will have to compromise on the light bleeding and non-uniformity. Power is great though.

After watching the free 3D Blu Rays movies, i think getting a 3D set (especially full HD) is the right choice to make.

The experience in 3D is unmatched.

Avatar and Coraline in 3D clearly demonstrate what 3D can bring. But not all movies are made the same.

Hey bro

I am sure the new Panasonic is impressive, but do note where you come from - 6 yr old, maybe HD ready panel?

The panels have made great strides forward and those two CGI / animation movies are made in 3D and will impress you. Many other 3D shows have been real ripoffs though.

Even so, the VT 30 is something I saw the other day and the LED based Samsung 8000 series also looked not bad, albeit in bright light... and it was an animation on display....

The major problem with the Sammy's is it's 3D performance. It's still riddled with the cross talk issues that plagued the C Series. On the other hand, I'd much prefer the Passive 3D of the LG over Samsung anytime. Too bad about the viewable scan lines though when up close.

Saw a few large sets today

Sony:

there was a 15k one, LED and 3D obviously... slim

another 6999

Both were 60", and although the 15k set was better, it was not twice as good. Also they mainly showed static images, and the showroom at BD was bright, which helped these LED based screens to look better.

Samsung also had a 60" LED (9000 series?) going for 6xxx

And I saw the Panasonic VT 30 as well.

I don't think I will get any TV for the 3D features right now. Those specs don't fit me well and I don't need 3D on my movies. Most weren't made for it anyway.

The plasma based Panasonic had the most natural picture, and motion control, but in the showroom conditions, and without a proper a/b comparison, my biased opinion is that my Kuro is still a keeper. In fact if someone finds a 60" new one, that's the one to keep.

Actually, the larger the better. Up to about 70 to 80" will be the max for most homes. Any larger, I don't think we need it unless we like to see large size pimples as well. ;D But we must take into consideration of the best value for the size and PQ. It can be when we go into another size bracket like 60" and above there will be quite a price jump. So now currently the best value is still 50 to 55".

IMVHO, the LG passive 3D is still not there yet when compared to the Sammy active. Too close and at wider viewing angle will have 3D views problem. The active approach still is the better currently. I think LG knows this as well and their new models are surprisingly marketed at a very attractive price to "clear".  ::)

Currently the biggest and best are the 65" Panasonic VT30 and the 60" Sony HX 925... but the Sony will cost more than what I paid for my Pioneer.... :(

However I will be watching keenly to see if Panasonic has solved their increasing black levels issue.

Will consider this option as well, since my viewing distance is rather short, and the place I intend to use it at, will not allow total blackout either.

Any one knows whether they will eventually bring in the 55" VT30?  This is probably the ideal size for many flat dwellers... big but not too big for the living room.  Big enough for immersive 3D.  Think the 50" is a little too small these days, esp. with the emergence of 3D.

Any one knows whether they will eventually bring in the 55" VT30?  This is probably the ideal size for many flat dwellers... big but not too big for the living room.  Big enough for immersive 3D.  Think the 50" is a little too small these days, esp. with the emergence of 3D.

Agree with you.  That's the sweet spot size at least for me too :).  Looking forward to upgrade to 55"-60".

Any bigger will let the projector do the work.

Like Pete said, my 7-years old 43 inch Pioneer plasmas are at best HD ready panel and great stride had been made in display technology.

Just waiting for the darn reliable Pioneer 43" inch plasma to give up. :D

If you do a lot of SDTV, the 43" Pioneer is fine actually.

For me the 55" is not worth the upgrade. Even a 60" isn't much bigger than 50".

So I have to aim for a larger panel. My new viewing distance is about 2.5 - 2.8m...

For me, I think anything larger than 60" would be better served by a projector screen.  A large black screen in the living hall will look very strange and dominating.  A retractable screen will be much less intrusive... of course if you can live with the inconvenience of having to darken the room everytime you want to use the PJ.

How about the newly revealed Pioneer/Sharp LED collaborated TV's.  Coming in 60" and 70" for US$6k and 8.5k respectively.  Wonder if it will make it into Sillypore.

Funny part is you need to double the price when it comes to Singapore... not sure why

Sharp 70" 732 in US MSRP US$3k some got it for US$2400 or less... think will be at least S$6k if sold in Singapore when we are closer to Japan  :P

Just saw the 65 inch LG 3d TV at Harvey Norman Funan. Going for $9K+. Throwing in a bluray player and 4 pairs of glasses. 3D effects not too bad plus brightness level is great. I suppose that's one of the advantages of a passive dsiplay.

That's not cheap considering that the 55" inch LG is about half the price.  For $9k, you can get a get a very good PJ + screen setup... 

Passive 3D is probably the future of 3D.  This battery thing is really not sustainable/workable.  Imagine you have to charge so many 3D glasses before you invite frens over for a movie, and what happens if one runs out of battery halfway? And that does not even take into consideration the comfort factor.  I'm trying to delay my 3D purchase until the 2nd or 3rd gen of passive 3D TVs... which should be much better than the current LGs.

3-4 yrs ago a Sharp 65" LCD costs abt $20k, saw a Samsung 64"D8000 plasma going for $65xx today,  price has certainly dropped a fair bit.  However, the marked price difference between here and the US market remains the same. 46" seems to be the new norm now. Waiting for the 70-75" to become available at an accessible price. That is the ideal size for me after seeing a Sony SXRD 70" some years back.

Paid a visit to courts today.... No 60 or 65" of any type in sight at Tampines.... Excuse? Not brought into Singapore....

The colors were almost all consistently wrongly set .... So it was pretty hard to check out the 8000 series Samsung Led or plasmas, the Sony 55" HX 925 nor the Paansonic VT 30 .... And why have a tv set to 3D with no glasses in sight? Pun intended .....