are there nottingham analogue owners here?

do contribute what endears your turntable to you.

i'll start first:with my hyperspace,i feel that the sounds i hear with every record is what's in the grooves,nothing added or diminished. on really good recordings they sound live,good enough to fool most. the only bone i have is that this sense of realism could be slightly upped and could extend to more records.it is a machine that plays music,not one that tries to please or impress.

i'm familiar enough with turntables to agree with sound engineers that the medium is coloured(distorted) but in a very pleasant way,though i'm too wet behind the ears to say what that distortion is. the hyperspace is a rare exception(i think) and it doesn't colour the sound or the effects are diminished(i'm sure there are other names that are as good,if not better in this department).

this thread would probably get few replies as nottinghams aren't really popular :P

sh*t,it's friday night, what am i doing here at xp? ??? :P

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to own the Interspace, the early entry level model. Mounted an SME V on it and found out that that little baby was a bit on the warm side to my liking. Things may have changed since then as that TT was using MDF throughout. Now it is made of "Composite Wood". I wonder what MDF is called.  ;D

i thought only the plinth is mdf(faux marble) and the rest is cast-iron/graphite composite or something? never thought to ask what it was made of. btw, what do you think of the ol conqueror? good match for hyperspace or should i look elsewhere? conqueror and space,makes my rig very star wars-like ;D

I am an ex-Hyperspace owner. Had it first with a Space arm, and later on a SME V. I liked the SME V more as on the Hyper, it could plumb bass depths I never knew existed. I had a Dynavector XX1 mounted,  then a Dyna XX2 mk1, and Dyna finally a Dyna XX2mk2 on it. The combination matched well and gave me hours of listening pleasure. There was pleasant coloration that made bad recordings palatable and musical.

Later on I connected a VPI SDS, and added a Mystic mat. Both pushed the performance envelope significantly. The Mystic Mat brought darkness in between notes. The SDS improved the timing significantly - especially since it allowed me to do away with the rubber belt. I used unwaxed dental floss and silk thread in place of the rubber belt. The improvement was not subtle.  But best of all was I could conveneintly play 45s. In this incarnation, the Hyperspace could rock beautifully on pop/rock as well as float notes like a feather in the breeze when in came to classical. Nothing could throw it off balance.

Finally after 5 years with the Hyperspace high-end, I pulled the trigger on my last  'table which is many times more costly than the Hyper. This is the ultimate for me, and no more TT upgrades other than the cart.. This table cost me more than an arm and a leg  - but it thrashed the Hyper in every deparment from the very first note after the needle hit .......    

I'm a current owner of the Spacedeck with a Schroeder No 2FW tonearm. I really like it a lot for its neutrality and its ability to float images from a very dark background. The addition of a Mystic Mat and a Clearaudio Synchro enhances the playback further.

Heard the Hyperspace at my friends place. Wonderful set!

i thought only the plinth is mdf(faux marble) and the rest is cast-iron/graphite composite or something? never thought to ask what it was made of. btw, what do you think of the ol conqueror? good match for hyperspace or should i look elsewhere? conqueror and space,makes my rig very star wars-like ;D

Keep your Moerch, IMO the notts and Moerch are match make in heaven, you are better off putting your money on your next cart. FYI the most deadly combo that I heard  was the notts/Moerch/Transfiguration Temper V and I still have wet dream thinking about the sound. :P

There, Bro starfish said it nicely.  ;D

As for the Conqueror tonearm, I have not heard it personally but if the reviews are worth anything to go by, it should beat the NA's pseudo unipivot arms by the proverbial mile. If fact. based on the postings above, most higher range tonearms are more detailed.

I am an ex-Hyperspace owner. Had it first with a Space arm, and later on a SME V. I liked the SME V more as on the Hyper, it could plumb bass depths I never knew existed. I had a Dynavector XX1 mounted,  then a Dyna XX2 mk1, and Dyna finally a Dyna XX2mk2 on it. The combination matched well and gave me hours of listening pleasure. There was pleasant coloration that made bad recordings palatable and musical.

Later on I connected a VPI SDS, and added a Mystic mat. Both pushed the performance envelope significantly. The Mystic Mat brought darkness in between notes. The SDS improved the timing significantly - especially since it allowed me to do away with the rubber belt. I used unwaxed dental floss and silk thread in place of the rubber belt. The improvement was not subtle.  But best of all was I could conveneintly play 45s. In this incarnation, the Hyperspace could rock beautifully on pop/rock as well as float notes like a feather in the breeze when in came to classical. Nothing could throw it off balance.

Finally after 5 years with the Hyperspace high-end, I pulled the trigger on my last  'table which is many times more costly than the Hyper. This is the ultimate for me, and no more TT upgrades other than the cart.. This table cost me more than an arm and a leg  - but it thrashed the Hyper in every deparment from the very first note after the needle hit .......    

Based on your description, I've a feeling that your new TT is a SME. That's what I'll go for.  :)

An arm and a leg....most probably the Walker Black Diamond 2..... :)

The best turntable that I ever had the pleasure of listening to bar none. But no, it is not. Besides the prohibitive price tag, I do not have space for the air pump and tank assembly case, and miles of air-tubes.

Also my gut feel is that in our wonderful humid weather, there are issues with drying compressed air sufficiently over a period to prevent corrosion in the precision air-bearings of arm and platter.

And once I move the table, Mr Walker must visit me to fine tune the set-up.  :(

Based on your description, I've a feeling that your new TT is a SME. That's what I'll go for.  :)

Bro ical, long time no see. How are you my friend? Welcome to the world of the black pizza. Your collection of LPs is very impressive, and in such a short time too.

You are spot-on with you guess that it is a SME. You know my taste. But mine is not a standard SME 30/2 in that I changed the venerable SME V with PAD AK phono cable for a Basis Vector 4 with very good results. Much more even sounding with details and clarity. But I had to give up the superb deep bass of the V in return.

The SME 30, because of its design sounds like a LP12 on steroids. It marries the liveliness and speed of the best suspended TT, with the scale, solid imaging, neutrality and wide dynamic range of the high-mass  designs.  It matches my taste exactly in a fuss-free design (besides the industrial looks).

i am puzzled. ???

just 3 weeks ago, i ran into our friendly neighbourhood SIA steward.

he told me how he got rid of his SME and nottingham (the very same unit the thread starter is using), and is now using a refurbished Lenco.

after clean up and realignment, the whole Lenco TT cost only around $1K

he said this Lenco setup is the best that he has ever heard, and that he is so relived to have wakened up, and be able to get rid of his previous TTs.

either this man is deluded or we are missing something here?

has anyone heard his Lenco setup yet? if this TT is as good as he claims, i wanna have one too!!! seriously.

Read that Tom Fletcher designs Nottingham tt to be used with unipivots. You can call them to ask more. Strangely they don't seem to have an email contact. Pm me if you want the Uk number.

Interesting. Ironically, the Space arm is not a true unipivot. It was at one stage but NA replaced the pivot with a tiny bearing instead. Yes, I actually took one apart to see how it worked. ;D Just as the Wilson Benesch Act 2 is not a true unipivot. They had also briefly dabbled with a parallel tracker called the Paragon.

i am puzzled. ???

he told me how he got rid of his SME and nottingham (the very same unit the thread starter is using), and is now using a refurbished Lenco.

he said this Lenco setup is the best that he has ever heard, and that he is so relived to have wakened up, and be able to get rid of his previous TTs.

has anyone heard his Lenco setup yet? if this TT is as good as he claims, i wanna have one too!!! seriously.

If this is true then I'm rich!!!!! I've got more than one Lenco L75!  ;D

To be honest, the Lenco is no big a deal. What's got going for it is a stonkingly humungous AC motor that is bigger than the Garrard's. Probably the largest ever used in a commercially available turntable. Coupled via an idler wheel to a medium mass platter, you will get pretty good constant speed with low wow and flutter. In fact, the motor weighs more than the platter and body combined! Monster torque unlike the puny kit used in the NA.

Unfortunately, you will need a lot of work to get it to sing. The original plinth resonates so a very high mass plinth is required to damp all the chassis. The original arm is crappy, very lacking in dynamics due to its pretty awful bearings that deteriorate over time. What would expect if it's made of rubber? After removing the arm, the original hole is too far forward for a regular 222mm tonearm so a new hole has to be made. As a result a new arm board is needed. Then the entire chassis has to be grounded or else the steel chassis will produce a lovely magnetic field that'll cause your speakers to give you  nice 50Hz eardrum massage. Did I mention that the idler wheel is made of rubber which may harden over time?

Having said all that, it is "better" than most belt drive of its era even after refurbishment and upgrading. Overall cost? Definitely more than $1k. Is it worth it? One man's meat ....  ;D

...you're right. he's deluded so don't pay too much attention to what he said. the 75 is nothing special  :)

i am puzzled. ???

i am puzzled. ???

ashly actually had the unit rebuilt,i think. my next toy could be 1 of these ;D 

what i'm sceptical about is his remark that the original arm is one of the best tonearms around, and it is the best for the l75

Read that Tom Fletcher designs Nottingham tt to be used with unipivots. You can call them to ask more. Strangely they don't seem to have an email contact. Pm me if you want the Uk number.

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56705

http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16579

-Tom, Real or Rumor  ???

Unfortunately, you will need a lot of work to get it to sing.

i questioned him at length, since i found his comments so interesting, so contrary to common knowledge.

he did mentioned about the tremendous amount of work that went into restoring the Lenco, through the help of some mysterious malay guy.

he mentioned that after trying various arms, the original arm (replaced with original and "new" bearings) still sound best.

and he also mentioned that the original resonant plinth material sounds best, against other more dampening materials touted by people on the internet.

the gist of it is - every part of this TT were designed to complement one another, so they sound together, sinergistically, greater than the sum of all the parts.

but he emphasized - that it could only have come - with the technical help of someone who knows this venerable TT design inside out, and who process all the necessary spare parts to replace the worn-out ones.

i have never seen a man spoken with more convictions. a conviction that can only have come having heard the lenco refurbished step-by-step over many agonising months, and each new stage of upgrade compared at length to the 2 other previous TTs he gotten rid off.

i think it is worthwhile to check the lenco out. don't you?

i have never seen a man spoken with more convictions. a conviction that can only have come having heard the lenco refurbished step-by-step over many agonising months, and each new stage of upgrade compared at length to the 2 other previous TTs he gotten rid off.

eh, don't say 'gotten rid of' ok, you make it sound like i got a bad deal >:( ::) ??? ;D the insensitivity.. ;D i'm actually very happy with the table. anyway i spoke to him at length about the l75 and it seems he likes it more for the prat and drive than other common attributes. it probably was the prat and drive of the l75  that was the game ender for him

I'm a current owner of the Spacedeck with a Schroeder No 2FW tonearm. I really like it a lot for its neutrality and its ability to float images from a very dark background. The addition of a Mystic Mat and a Clearaudio Synchro enhances the playback further.

Heard the Hyperspace at my friends place. Wonderful set!

i'm really piqued about the mystic mat. ::) how does the clearaudio compare to the wave mechanic?

i'm thinking neutrality too when describing the hyperspace but strangely enough, the hyperspace in my setup isn't "dark" sonically,as most describe it over the net,some recordings do sound quite sunny :)