Help! My system sounded unbalanced...

Guest heeyeng

Dear forumers, for some reason, I hear that my system that is bought just 2 weeks ago, well, sounded a tiny little bit unbalanced. This is hard to explain but please let me try...

Have you ever notice that your system, the right channel will produce more treble than bass, and the left channel will produce more bass than treble? That's what I found from my system. I am listening to mostly female vocals and sexaphone (so more treble in a sense). At first few days of listening, I have notice a slight off to the right side for every single disc, every single track I play. Then I did an funny experiment, I unplug the right channel signal of AMP, leaving only 1 channel attached to AMP now, and I switch between pluggin in to right and left input of AMP. Well what I notice is when plugging into right input of AMP, the sound is much forward, more treble to be heard (of course only from right speaker), and vice versa when I plugged into left channel I heard less treble, but more bass...

I've switched between speaker, cables, and interconnect, but the effect is the same, so no doubt about those other elements.

Regarding this right = more treble and left = more bass, can anybody confirm this findings? I say again, it's not so much different, but it's just very subtle but noticeable, especially with good interconnects... Else I would guess maybe something is wrong with my amp... ???

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try this:

with the connections unchanged, switch the location of the spkr such that your amp's left ch is powering the right spkr and vice versa.

this will narrow down the possibility of faulty electronics.

**go further by switching L-R of the interconnect at the source end.

if problem remains, most likely room acoustic

Guest heeyeng
could be your room, my room also got such effect

Thought maybe that's the reason too, but until I put my right ear (only right ear) close to the speaker when doing the comparison, left speaker and right speaker produces different sound, even if the source is from 1 channel... quekky maybe you can try to double confirm with your system? May not be the room problem...

Many years ago when I was very young, I heard a older friend told me about the design of walkman, whereby the right and left channel actually are amplified slightly differently... or is it recorded slightly differently... that's what constitute to 'stereo'...

Can anybody confirm with that?

Guest heeyeng
with the connections unchanged, switch the location of the spkr such that your amp's left ch is powering the right spkr and vice versa.

Did that before, after speaker switching place, sound also switching place, becoming now left = more treble, right = more bass...

So still back to 'square one'.

Guest Foodeater

Owned it for 2 weeks you say?

Try to break in the speakers a wee bit more with some full range material... or get a pair of similiar speakers to do some testing perhaps? It's probably the only way to determine whether if it's the amp or whether it's the speakers...

Tell you an experience I had: I wasn't aware that even headphones needs breaking in... I was approached by a guy online who complained that his Sennheiser HD497's probably damaged because it didn't sound right, and I suggested that he leave his cans blasting, and it worked well fortunately.

So why not try it for a while, and it might sound even again, probably because the rubbers would have stretched evenly by then for all the drivers to work the way the designers wanted them to work... :)

Good luck!

not very sure about your system

for mine, i use 1 source (1 amp, 1 side of the channel), use a sin-wave tone gerenator to create wave files, burn cd, then use SPL meter to measure each speaker @ 1m @ 1W@1khz individually. both plots come out different, so i know it's my room or speaker

Could you tell us how old is your system, 1 or 2 wks old ??? I suggest you run-in first, say abt 1mth. If after that 1mth you still have the same problem, call your dealers or sellers for answer.

Not likely rm, since you move your ear so close to the spks to hear the difference. Hv you move your system to another rm to do the same test ???

Could it be your spks connector on the back of your AMP.

Anyway, which brand of AMP you using.

Just my 2Cents.

Hi,

I have similar problems until last week. For my case, my old integrated amp was the main cause. I used to positioned my right speaker a bit forward than the left. Although improved by a little but still not good enough.....

This problem was finally solved when I changed my amp last week :)

KC

Guest heeyeng

Thanks people for all your inputs! :)

I do not have a SPL meter... so can't do the experiment that you told. Will only use ears to judge then. Well I don't hear the 'loudness' as a difference here, loudness are to my ear, the same. However, it's rather more of a tonal balance, between left and right channels...

You know what, this afternoon I did another experiment, it's simple and you all can try also: I took the earphone of my discman, just put right plug to your right ear, then try with left plug also on your right ear, I am certain, very sure, that I hear different tonal among 2 plugs, right side got more treble, left side got more bass!

Please try it out, and tell me your findings here can? ;)

Is that the way that recording studios recorded in general? Maybe this is a norm just that we doesn't know? :)

Happy listening... :)

Guest heeyeng
Which case is it?

Case 1. Agree, speaker is definitely matched.

Case 2. I feel that in stereo, treble in the right tends to be tiny bit more than the left, bass in the left is tiny winy bit more than right.

Case 3. Yes, mono has no difference.