Recommend electrician

Hi all, sorry to dig up an old thread. I will be moving to a new place and will be doing full renovation with electrical wiring soon.

Initial plan was to have a separate dedicated DB box in my entertainment room. Then 4 MCBs to:

1) all the power amps (stereo and multichannel amp)

2) Audio equipment (source, DAC, preamp)

3) all other HT equipment (subwoofer, projector, receiver etc)

4) Lights and maybe electric recliner.

My ID's electrician said it's not possible to pull a separate dedicated DB box from power source from outside the flat. He can only draw power from the other main DB box outside the house.

Assume that the MCB used in the main DB box to my room's box is not sharing any connection, is this still considered a dedicated line? Any other recommendations? Or is it really possible to have a dedicated DB box drawing power from outside the hdb unit? (I might need to get another electrician to do)

Thanks a lot.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all, sorry to dig up an old thread. I will be moving to a new place and will be doing full renovation with electrical wiring soon.

Initial plan was to have a separate dedicated DB box in my entertainment room. Then 4 MCBs to:

1) all the power amps (stereo and multichannel amp)

2) Audio equipment (source, DAC, preamp)

3) all other HT equipment (subwoofer, projector, receiver etc)

4) Lights and maybe electric recliner.

My ID's electrician said it's not possible to pull a separate dedicated DB box from power source from outside the flat. He can only draw power from the other main DB box outside the house.

Assume that the MCB used in the main DB box to my room's box is not sharing any connection, is this still considered a dedicated line? Any other recommendations? Or is it really possible to have a dedicated DB box drawing power from outside the hdb unit? (I might need to get another electrician to do)

Thanks a lot.

If you have a 3 phase system, you can dedicate 1 phase to your hifi leaving the other 2 for other home duties. I used to employ home plugs to cover dead wifi spots at home. When my inlaws learnt about that, they requested that I help them set up such a system over at their place. The home plugs were not effective and the reason is that they run a 3 phase system. I realized that only electrical outlets within the same phase allows for the use of home plugs. by extension of the same logic, that means that if one employs one phase for his hifi, that portion would be isolated from the rest of the other outlets.

That said, I did ask Mr Soh to run a dedicated line but as he uses the same phase there is not a total isolation and while that job yielded some sonic benefits, it was not as complete as I wanted it to be. When I turn on my aircon, sometimes I still hear a slight interference from the huge electricity draw.

If you have a 3 phase system, you can dedicate 1 phase to your hifi leaving the other 2 for other home duties. I used to employ home plugs to cover dead wifi spots at home. When my inlaws learnt about that, they requested that I help them set up such a system over at their place. The home plugs were not effective and the reason is that they run a 3 phase system. I realized that only electrical outlets within the same phase allows for the use of home plugs. by extension of the same logic, that means that if one employs one phase for his hifi, that portion would be isolated from the rest of the other outlets.

That said, I did ask Mr Soh to run a dedicated line but as he uses the same phase there is not a total isolation and while that job yielded some sonic benefits, it was not as complete as I wanted it to be. When I turn on my aircon, sometimes I still hear a slight interference from the huge electricity draw.

May I know if this phase system is something new? Mine is a 20+ yo HDB unit

Another reason I am thinking of another DB box in the room is so that I can reduce some cable cost. Running better cables from DB box in the room to wall sockets in the room should be a lot shorter than running several runs from outside the room in

• 8 months later...

just saw this thread which seems to perfectly fit my needs. Want to run a dedicated power line from breaker to a wall outlet specifically for my system.

I'm looking to do the same as this. Any recommendations on upgrade power cables that I can use? Was recommended Belden, but I'm also open to using Canare or Mogami depending on benefits.

Also noted in the first post to look for an electrician, Mr Soh, who seems knowledgable in this field. But anyone else to recommend? Its just part of my need to have options.

Any licensed electrician can do it for you. Just need to identify an unused circuit breaker in your panel for you to run the wires from the circuit breaker to the wall ac outlet.

Can get multi stranded neotech black and red 12awg with teflon from Robert liveacoustics. Earth wire I asked electrician to provide his own

If you want something better can get acrolink or oyaide from xaudio or audio basic.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Reviving this thread trying to get help and advice from brothers and sisters here.

I just change a whole new PC system and always can hear a low high pitch sound either from the power supply or graphics card.  The sound like just comes and goes every few mins. We change to few models of power supply and graphics card but the results is still the same.  In the shop I can hear no noise from it and once at home the noise will comes.  So I guess it should be my home electrical line then as it is more than 20 yrs old already.

Is an electrician able to help to identify the problem?

Guest comfortablynumb

Always DIY....I just added 8 power outlets to my master bedrpoom yesterday.

When I retired, I want to be a Audiophile electrician..........  :)

(Audio)

:)

U looking for partner let me know

not very sure about this.  i moved my pc to neighbour house and there are no such high frequency pitch on and off.

What if u turn off all other home electrical device when u on ur PC?

What if u turn off all other home electrical device when u on ur PC?

I did it previously when the pc parts are not swapped out yet. Maybe later try again with this new PSU and graphics card.

I forgot to say that my room power line is dedicated from the MCB and to no other places.

I did it previously when the pc parts are not swapped out yet. Maybe later try again with this new PSU and graphics card.

I forgot to say that my room power line is dedicated from the MCB and to no other places.

My room also supposed to have dedicated line. Weird thing is I get humming sound from my preamp when 1 of my kitchen lights is on.

Guest francishuang

Even a Dedicated line on a different mcb box, will somehow still be affected by equipments in the house and also external influence.

My room also supposed to have dedicated line. Weird thing is I get humming sound from my preamp when 1 of my kitchen lights is on.

Even a Dedicated line on a different mcb box, will somehow still be affected by equipments in the house and also external influence.

Is there really any way to resolve the problem? It is causing my ear to feel a little pain and hearing sound till I have to see doctor and eat medicine last week .

Even power regenerator also didn't help. Guess gotta live with it.

Maybe try to power OFF (not standby) things in the house one thing/or area at a time (incl fridge), you might be able to catch the culprit.

Alternatively move the PC to other rooms to test, is there a room/area where the problem goes away? or gets worse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Light dimmers and fluorescent tube ballasts can inject noise back into the power supply.

Have you tried a balanced power conditioner?

Never tried balanced power conditioner for desktop computer as not aware there are such things use for PC. Is it expensive ?

Maybe try to power OFF (not standby) things in the house one thing/or area at a time (incl fridge), you might be able to catch the culprit.

Alternatively move the PC to other rooms to test, is there a room/area where the problem goes away? or gets worse?

I just now tried to unplug and power off everything except the frig and it is still the same (haha later mom scold me if  I off the frig) .

No, what I meant was to try a balanced power conditioner for your sound system or some other form of power conditioner.

It might help reduce or eliminate the noise, especially if the noise is within the working range of the power conditioner.

If you have not turned off your fridge, you might never know if that could be the source of the noise. With my previous fridge, and without a power conditioner, you could tell when the compressor kicked in.

Guest francishuang

The power regenerator still draws power from the wall. It will be still subjected to the irregularities of the power line. The only way is to decouple the regenerator that powers your system, from the wall power. For  ur case of pc. U may wana try those portable battery power supply. For hifi, probably not as they are too noisy, unless they are specifically build for hifi usage.

https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-portable-ac-power-supplies

Even power regenerator also didn't help. Guess gotta live with it.

I just re-read your post, the sound is coming from PC, correct?

Not coming from your hifi...

If it is coming from your PC, are you able to use a phone sound analyzer app to try to locate where is the loudest? and what sort of frequencies?

Maybe record it and post...

One more suggestion- when you hear it, power down just the monitor. Is it still there?

Eons ago, old technology displays sometimes emit a soft high pitch sound.

I just re-read your post, the sound is coming from PC, correct?

Not coming from your hifi...

If it is coming from your PC, are you able to use a phone sound analyzer app to try to locate where is the loudest? and what sort of frequencies?

Maybe record it and post...

One more suggestion- when you hear it, power down just the monitor. Is it still there?

Eons ago, old technology displays sometimes emit a soft high pitch sound.

Yes, it is from the PC.  Ok, i will try all the suggestion and let you know very soon.

This time round i shutdown everything including the refrigerator and unplug all the plugs.  I only left the monitor and PC to be in operation.

You are right that my monitor also does emits a soft high pitch as shown below.  This recording is recorded about 1 cm away from the monitor back. 

Red color = max reading

Green = current reading

blue = min reading

1551vv7.jpg

Thus, i unplugged the monitor and allow my pc to run games automatically.

When in normal state it will be like this.

yuNIBDF.jpg

when the high pitch sound comes, it will looks like this (recorded maybe 5-8cm away)

wPEPNT1.jpg

Later i setup the whole thing in my neighbour house and most of the time it is like this.

ag7rciC.jpg