Thiel Speakers Owners & Discussion Thread

I think it's time to update these pics. Eh Audio, please post your new pics so I can update

1. Audio

CS3.7 + MCS1 (surrounds) + MCS1 (centre) + SS2 + S1 sub integrator

Sources:

Denon A1UD via Denon Link4 to Denon AVP-A1HDA. 

Bel Canto CD2

Bel Canto DAC3.5

Bel Canto VBS-1

Bel Canto Ref1000 x 3 power amp for front L/C/R. 

Bel Canto M300 x 2 power amp for surround 

Interconnects

DenonLink4/HDMI from A1UD to A1HDA

AES from CD2 to DAC3.5 - Silversmith

XLR from DAC3.5 to REF1000M

RCA from A1HDA front LR to REF1000M - Silversmith

XLR to C REF1000M/M300 - Silversmith XLR

XLR to S1 - ??

XLR from S1 to SS2 - ??

Speaker cables

Front L/C/R - Silversmith Audio Silver ribbon

Surround

Listening sofa is a red IKEA augmented with Earthquake amp/shaker combo.

Supported with TAOC ASR (latest version of the rack)

Kicking myself for waited this long to make the cable change......

2. jonlee

CS2.4 + MCS1 (centre)

For audio, Plinius CD-101 with Plinius 9200 integrated amp, both with Acrolink 4030 power cords.  Mogami 2803 interconnects and mogami 2804 speaker cables. 

3. DoggieHowser

Main Stereo Setup Thiel CS3.7 + 2 x Thiel SmartSub SS2 + Thiel S1 Sub Integrator

HT: Thiel MCS1 center + 4xPowerPoint 1.2 + 4xPowerpoint

Analog sources:

Project RPM10.1 evolution with 10cc evolution tonearm, Project Speedbox SE II, Sumiko Blackbird HOMC cart, bundled phono leads

Bel Canto Phono 3

Digital Sources

EMM Labs XDS1 SACD/CD Player

Oppo95

Denon DBP-4010 DenonLink4/HDMI to Denon AVR4810

PreAmp:

Audio Research Reference 5SE

Power Amp

WIP - currently Bel Canto REF1000M

Speaker Cables:

ASI Liveline

Interconnects:

ASI Liveline

Silversmith Silver XLR/RCA

HT:

Denon AVR-4810

Bel Canto REF500M powering Thiel MCS1

Wyred4Sound ICEBox MC 6xASP500 modules for surround duties

Thiel PowerPoint 1.2 for surround, surround back

Thiel PowerPoint for wide/height

JVC RS60 3D THX DILA projector

Optoma HD33 3D DLP Projector

Power:

PurePower APS 1050 x 2

Sound Application RLS-240 x 2

ASI Liveline Powercords

ESP Reference distributors, Reference, MusicordES, MusicordProES power cords

Tweaks

Cardas RCA covers,

Finite Element Pagode Signature 4 tier rack (600mm supports) redwood x 2

Finite Elements Ceraballs

Boston Audio TuneBlocks (with tungsten carbide upgrade)

Boston Audio TuneBlock S

Cold Ray x 2

4. Chewed

CS3.7 + SCS4 (centre) + CS1.6

Bel Canto CD-2,

Bel Canto DAC2.5

Bel Canto REF1000M x 2

IC is Siltech SQ-28,

speaker cable is Synergistic Research Vortex.

Home Theatre, powered by Onkyo 805, ur usual BR & HD-DVD players involved, speaker cable is Chord Carnival.

Interim setup

5. DIYer Straits

CS2.4

6 ft with 2 ft from either side walls. Also 30 inches from the back wall. Listening position is 7 ft away. This is not yet finalised as have yet to get a proper listening chair.  ;D I will probably pull them another 6 to 12 inches apart and push them back a bit. No curtains as yet as well. Still work in progress. Everything is sitting on granite slabs excess from house renovation.

Currently am listening with

Sony CDPX3000 (modded)

Customised Williamson 6B4G push-pull 7 Watter

6. Hoseki

MCS1 (L, R, C) + CS1.2 + SS2

7. Charcoal

CS2.3 + SCS2

I still own the old CS2.3 and SCS2, but they seldom sing as firstly no time and especially since I shifted the whole audio system from the hall to a small study room.

Int Amp : Accuphase E530

Amp Power Cord : DIY VDH Mainsstream Hybrid (Furutech IEC / Plug)

CD Player : OPPO 983

CDP Power Cord : DIY XLO Reference (Furutec plug / IEC)

Interconnect Cable : Transparent Audio Ultra RCA

Speaker Cable : Aural Symphonics AS-One (copper)

Listening Area (Hall) : 32 feet x 16 feet

Speakers Positioning : 5 Feet away fm rear wall, 4 feet fm side wall & 8 feet apart each other, no toe in.

Tweaks : Solid Steel H5.4, DH Cones, Linn Skeets, 

8. Jagdpanzer

Thiel CS2.4

Kimber 8TC

9. Sleepytune

Thiel CS2.4

Source:1)Shanling cda10t. 2)Ipod/Wadia/Monarchy dip/PS audio DL lll cullent curcuit level 4.

Powercord jps ac dgtl to cdp.No brand shielding pc for ipod/wadia etc...Dgtl interlink stereovox xv2,analog rca Xindax fa gold.xlr 'the music cable'.

Preamp:Bel canto pre3 .Pc xindax fp gold.xlr 'the music cable'.

Power; Bel canto ref500. pc neotech,speaker cable 'the music cable'

Powerline: xindak XF 1000.replace x and y cap to rifa, bypass power outlet with straight wire

10. shsoh

Analogue:

- Nottingham Spacedeck

- Schroeder No.2 FW tonearm

- Lyra Helikon SL cartridge

- EAR 324 phono

- Clearaudio Synchro Motor Controller

Digital:

- Wadia 23 CDP

Amps:

- First Sound Presence Deluxe MkII preamp

- Ayre V1x poweramp

- REL Stampede sub

Accessories:

- Isotek Titan Power Conditioner

- Oyaide MTB-6 R1 Distributor

- Shunyata Taipan Helix Powersnakes (15A/20A)

- Synergistic Research Reference (for CDP)

- Synergistic Research Tesla REL spec subwoofer cable

- Kimber Select KS1030 & KS3035 cables

- Symposium Rollerblocks, Ultra, Super Plus, etc

- Solidsteel Racks

- Taoc & Isoduo Jade footers

- Acoustic System Resonators, Phase Corrector & Diffuser

Next Change:

- Walker Valid Points for Clearaudio Synchro

- Upgrade First Sound preamp to MKIII

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what one owner wrote in the (similar) AVS thread after about 200 hours and it's what keeping my hopes up.. have only done a mere 40+ hours of running in (most of it below moderate) since I got them (worried about neighbour complaints)...

Though it's for the newer CS3.7s, I figured what he said applies to the 2.4s as well.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=13839343&postcount=331

High

Now: Delicate and airy, lots of air, cymbal will materialize in the room and linger ever so delicately in air. No shrill, no etch.

Previously: Nice out of the box, beat the 7.2 in delicacy but rolled off too fast. Not airy enough, not open, not delicate enough.

Mid

Now : They are able to render instrument realistically now and put instruments right in the room. As the speaker opens up even more, I expect the realism to get even better.

Previous: Sweet out of the box, matches some big names I have heard, even the 7.2's, unfortunately, not realistic enough at first.

Low

Now : Integrated with the mid and high; tight, accurate, low and rich. Timing now is wonderful. It can get "low" enough to rumble underfoot (we have cement floor) but still accurate.

Previous: Nice out of the box but seemed a tad "laid back" or "slow", just a hair off pace. It also seemed disjoint at first from the rest of the sound, not well integrated.

So far, the mids and highs are pretty much as I remembered in the showroom, but the lows.. were well.. different.. guess the owner hit it right on the head: "slow and off pace".

As much as I love the SmartSubs, I can't help but wonder if I'll get as good a system by getting a full Audyssey standalone box (one that does 7.1 not just the .1) with a regular SVS.

That said, the SCS4 looks interesting ;) China-sourced components (lower cost), similar coax as the Thiel CS3.7 (according to John Potis) and hand-finished/assembled and QAd in same US factory.

As much as I love the SmartSubs, I can't help but wonder if I'll get as good a system by getting a full Audyssey standalone box (one that does 7.1 not just the .1) with a regular SVS.

That said, the SCS4 looks interesting ;) China-sourced components (lower cost), similar coax as the Thiel CS3.7 (according to John Potis) and hand-finished/assembled and QAd in same US factory.

i think Thiel have a hidden gem in the SCS4, especially if the listening area is small. I plugged it in to replace one of the 1.6, sonically it's as good. Then again my ear is not exactly the sharpest when it comes to hearing.. ;D

Guest jonlee

1. Audio - CS3.7 + CS2.4 (surrounds) + MCS1 (centre) + SS2

2. jonlee CS2.4 + MCS1 (centre)

3. DoggieHowser CS2.4

4. Chewed CS1.6 + SCS4 (centre)

5. DIYer Straits - CS2.4

Audio...I got yours correct or not?  ;D

1. Audio - CS3.7 + MCS1 (surrounds) + MCS1 (centre) + SS2

3. DoggieHowser CS2.4

5. DIYer Straits - CS2.4

Audio...I got yours correct or not?   ;D

nope. now i remember he's got the same MCS1 as surrounds. heheh. the SS2 is what impacted me the most.

3. DoggieHowser CS2.4

5. DIYer Straits - CS2.4

6. Hoseki - MCS1 (L, R, C) + CS1.2 + SS2

Someday I will get CS3.7. 

7. Clitang CS2.4 + SCS4 (Center) + CS2(sides)

I have a question, hope someone here can help. I want to get MCS1 for my center and get one SCS4 (together with my current SCS4) for my sides or back speakers. How is MCS1 compare to SCS4 for center? Is it better?

i think Thiel have a hidden gem in the SCS4, especially if the listening area is small. I plugged it in to replace one of the 1.6, sonically it's as good. Then again my ear is not exactly the sharpest when it comes to hearing.. ;D

Yeah was surprised they used such a driver on their entry level unit...

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue36/thiel_scs4.htm

The SCS4 starts with a 6.5-inch metal mid-woofer coaxially mounted with a 1-inch high-output tweeter—a tweeter very similar to that used in the flagship CS3.7. In fact, the mid-woofer combination is the same unit as used in Thiel's PowerPoint speaker.

I have a question, hope someone here can help. I want to get MCS1 for my center and get one SCS4 (together with my current SCS4) for my sides or back speakers. How is MCS1 compare to SCS4 for center? Is it better?

clitang,

the main reason i chose the SCS4 to be center speaker is i simply don't have enough space for the MCS1. ...

I think the MCS drivers are similar to the CS2.4.

And there is supposed to be a center speaker matched to CS3.7s in the works (2009 release).

I guess that puts the SCS closer to the CS1.6 in terms of matching.

That said, I remember reading that all Thiel speakers are timbre matched so you should be able to mix and match ;)

3. DoggieHowser CS2.4

5. DIYer Straits - CS2.4

updated

"slow and off pace".

I left the speakers running on a continuous playlist of songs where I encountered the slow and off pace boominess while I was at work, hoping to drive that boominess out of the system. During the day, I logged on remotely to the Squeezebox and slowly upped the volume a little. ;)

Got home around 7 and dialed down the volume so we could have some conversation but didn't notice any improvements. Just kept it running through dinner and watched some TV using it as front speakers.And when wife went for her Bollywood dance lessons, I let rip a couple of Daft Punk tracks hehe

Anyway, a couple of hours ago, I was about to power off the system and turn in for the night.

But as I sat in front of the speakers, in the middle of Buble's Lost, I SWEAR I WASN'T DREAMING THIS, suddenly the "off pace" boominess disappeared.

I think I'd hit just about 50 hours of use. The bass suddenly became more articulate and the lack of boominess suddenly made the details in the mids and highs even more apparent. I can't tell you guys what a relief this was. For a while I was really worried the speakers were too big for the room.

There's still the odd boominess in one or two songs. One was a David Tao track (which I know isn't the best in mastering) and the other one where I noticed it was Toni Braxton's Unbreak My Heart, which always had a heavy bass line anyway. But will continue to monitor

And so for the last couple of hours, I have been sitting transfixed in front of the speakers, marvelling at the new details of the same playlist that had been playing on repeat for the last couple of days, each time my brain was just kept awake trying to process all the new information on a familiar track.

I usually get like this when I upgrade parts of my headfi. But this is the first time I have encountered this without any upgrades :P just letting the speakers finally settle in..

guys,

can put up your amp, source, speaker cable, listening area, and the (main) speakers placement too  ?

sharing your experiences how to optimize your Thiel speakers performance (e.g. positioning, pairing with equipments, cables etc) is even better

why ?

I still own the old CS2.3 and SCS2, but they seldom sing as firstly no time and especially since I shifted the whole audio system from the hall to a small study room.

I used to own 2.4 and MCS1. IMHO, Thiel goes well with warmer equipment(usually tube), as thiel sound is usually too revealing, if pair it with another neutral sounding equipment then the sound will be a bit too bright. I pair it with VTL TL-2.5 (tube pre with HT bypass) and Bryston 4B-ST, the result was quite satisfying.

Fook Lai

Was using the Sony TA-DA9000ES , then switch to Bel Canto Ref1000 as power amp.  Source for Audio is Denon DVD-3910 via Denon Link to Denon AVP-A1HDA.  Speaker cables is Monster Cables at the moment, will be changing to a pair of Alpha Cable soon.  Listening area is a typical HDB bedroom.  Speaker placement about 2 feet from corner, toe-in, aiming at listener.

Listening sofa is a red IKEA.  :)

(Audio)

Fook Lai, I am still eyeing your MCS1, sold already?

Based on Charcoal's Request...

3. DoggieHowser CS2.4

Placement: Living room which is unpartitioned fom the dining room.

Gear: Benchmark DAC1 Pre to Bel Canto REF1000 to CS2.4

CS2.4s slightly less than 8 feet apart, slight toe in angle towards listener, with about 1 foot away from the back wall.

Between the speakers sit the subwoofer and center speaker and my audio (non HT) gear. A fan sits between the left speaker and the subwoofer. The CS2.4s are slightly in front of the subwoofer/fan.

Left speaker is about 1 foot from side (full length windows but covered by black out curtains, which in hindsight is a good thing since it helps against side reflections.

Right speaker side is open area (opens to dining area).

My setup is quite revealing and I think Fook Lai wouldn't like it :) some would call it bright. But there is a lot of detail and clarity which never fails to impress me :) Once the gear is properly run in, I may try to look for something just slightly warmer but I am not sure if I want to go down the tube level of warmth.

5. DIYer Straits - CS2.4

8. Charcoal CS2.3 + SCS2

listening area is abt 3.5m by 3.5 m

CS1.6 slightly 8 ft apart, no toe-ing in.1 ft from backwall.  SCS4 placed in betw

For audio, CDP is Bel Canto CD-2, powered by Bel Canto S300. IC is Siltech SQ-28, speaker cable is Synergistic Research Vortex.

For Home Theatre, powered by Onkyo 805, ur usual BR & HD-DVD players involved, speaker cable is Chord Carnival plus.

I manually switch speaker cable to the CS1.6 when i'm listening to music or  home theatre.

updated with Audio's setup that I missed earlier..

Was using the Sony TA-DA9000ES , then switch to Bel Canto Ref1000 as power amp.  Source for Audio is Denon DVD-3910 via Denon Link to Denon AVP-A1HDA.  Speaker cables is Monster Cables at the moment, will be changing to a pair of Alpha Cable soon.  Listening area is a typical HDB bedroom.  Speaker placement about 2 feet from corner, toe-in, aiming at listener.

Listening sofa is a red IKEA.

3. DoggieHowser CS2.4

Placement: Living room which is unpartitioned fom the dining room.

Gear: Benchmark DAC1 Pre (balanced interconnect can't recall the brand) to Bel Canto REF1000 to CS2.4 with QED Revelation. AVR (Onkyo 875) is hooked up using AudioEngine's AW1 sender/receiver to Benchmark Pre's analog input.

CS2.4s slightly less than 8 feet apart, slight toe in angle towards listener, with about 1 foot away from the back wall.

Between the speakers sit the subwoofer and center speaker and my audio (non HT) gear. A fan sits between the left speaker and the subwoofer. The CS2.4s are slightly in front of the subwoofer/fan.

Left speaker is about 1 foot from side (full length windows but covered by black out curtains, which in hindsight is a good thing since it helps against side reflections.

Right speaker side is open area (opens to dining area).

My setup is quite revealing and I think Fook Lai wouldn't like it  some would call it bright. But there is a lot of detail and clarity which never fails to impress me  Once the gear is properly run in, I may try to look for something just slightly warmer but I am not sure if I want to go down the tube level of warmth.

listening area is abt 3.5m by 3.5 m

CS1.6 slightly 8 ft apart, no toe-ing in.1 ft from backwall.  SCS4 placed in betw

For audio, CDP is Bel Canto CD-2, powered by Bel Canto S300. IC is Siltech SQ-28, speaker cable is Synergistic Research Vortex.

For Home Theatre, powered by Onkyo 805, ur usual BR & HD-DVD players involved, speaker cable is Chord Carnival.

I manually switch speaker cable to the CS1.6 when i'm listening to music or  home theatre.

5. DIYer Straits - CS2.4

8. Charcoal CS2.3 + SCS2