Queries about SPL Meter (aka Sound Level Meter)

I'm considering whether to get Radio Shack SPL meter. Eventually, I'm going to use my AVR's (Onkyo, Denon, etc.) auto calibration function. So is it necessary to get one? :-\

I came across this sentence in the FAQ section of SVS website:

"We prefer this model to the digital display SPL meter due to the analog version's ease in getting spot-on adjustments (though either can work well)."

http://www.svsound.com/questions-faqs.cfm#meter

-What does it mean by "ease in getting spot-on adjustments"?  :-\

-Is the analog version suppose to be easier to use for HT sound calibration?

-I though the digital version will be easier to read compared to analog which needs some guessing on the reading?  ::)

-Which is more advisable to get... Radio Shack digital or analog version?  :-\

I vaguely remember reading that some calibration discs were designed to use a particular type of SPL (Tandy/Radio Shack one). Their frequency response wasn't entirely flat. If you used the Tandy one, it'd work properly. But if you used another brand, you might have to normalize the readings separately.

This was with one of my earliest calibration DVDs though. Not sure if it is still applicable though.

Hi,

Okay tis is my take on why de analog Ratshack spl mtr works better - it flutuates less when used wif my Avia ... and itll fluctuate ... even a dogs bark will spike up de reading and trying to keep it stable to adjust de volume setting is a problem if it fluctuates too much...

Just my noob reasoning la

Dirtrun

I think basically any sound wave has fluctuation in the db readings. I find it easy to read an analog if there are constant jumps. Imagine trying to read a digital which keeps jumping up/down 10-20dbs when you walk in/out. Dunno how fast the digital updates also?

Not necessary to buy IF you trust in the auto calibration. But often seems like forumers here still think auto calibration is not quite up to scratch, esp those included in AVRs.

I find it easy to read an analog if there are constant jumps. Imagine trying to read a digital which keeps jumping up/down 10-20dbs when you walk in/out. Dunno how fast the digital updates also?

Sorry I'm a bit lost. If there is constant jumps in the reading, be it digital or analog SPL, both will still show the db value right? How will the analog SPL enhance the measuring process?  ???

I've not used any SPL before, but doesn't the digital SPL gives you a precise reading (e.g. 86,87,88 etc) as compared to an analog SPL (which show the reading between a range and you'll need to guess.)?  ::)

Sorry I'm a bit lost. If there is constant jumps in the reading, be it digital or analog SPL, both will still show the db value right? How will the analog SPL enhance the measuring process?  ???

I've not used any SPL before, but doesn't the digital SPL gives you a precise reading (e.g. 86,87,88 etc) as compared to an analog SPL (which show the reading between a range and you'll need to guess.)?   ::)

Actually to use the SPL you have to use a "damped" mode which measures a moving average SPL rather than instantaneous SPL.

If u were to measure instantaneous SPL, the meter would be moving erratically, too erratically to make any semblance for adjustments. This is because it'd be very difficult to get a fixed white noise level to be generated.

I have never used a digital SPL before, but I expect it would have to use a weighted average type of measurement for it to be meaningful.

Guest jonlee

The "default" spl meter for ht is radioshack.  Either analog or digital, u can select slow/fast response and a/b/c weighting.

Thus, the only difference is the display.  One gives u digital display, one gives u a moving needle.

I'm using the digital one.  No issue so far.

• 10 years later...

Sorry to bring up an old post.  :P

i see from youtube videos, people are using analog spl meter and they set a range to e.g 70dB.  From there, they begin their calibration.

as I cannot see the needle's movement, i assume it will stay at the "0" position during the calibration process.

since it is hard to find analog type, so for digital spl meter, are there any function to set the range to 70dB too? sorry for the noob question