Do you own 2 turntable at the same time?

Hi All,

Newbie here getting into the dark side.  I have a Vintage Marantz 6100, but unfortunately it need to fix up as it don’t sound well.  I plan to get it fix and upgrade in the same time, I think about buy another one as a 2nd turntable.  But no sure should I get a used or new, direct drive or belt drive...

Anyone own 2 turntables at the same time? Why? Do you own direct drive and belt drive, or MC and MM? Or the both the same.

Would you mind share the story of why you get the 2nd turntable.

Thank you and stay safe.

Garfield 

BCDA6BE1-DD99-4383-AFDC-83A8C40C2101.jpeg

I have 8 TT's but actually only 4 are really operating 3 under repair and one under restoration. its a slippery slope, making to finding a DAC you like with perhaps different genres etc. I also repair my own gear so I'm a different case having so many.

I think you will get lots differing opinions of why people like this or that. For example I like tangiential tracking TT's and I have 4 of this design (one is DIY) and others have one TT but maybe 3-4 tonearm options on the one TT. 

I own 2 Rega TTs (both bought used) - one for MM and one for MC - as I find it a hassle to change cartridges on a Rega arm.

Some music I prefer MM, while some I prefer MC.

Edited by jianw
Wrong spelling

I used to run 2 TT, but not anymore. It was because my main TT played good records very well, but played poor records very badly till I could not enjoy the music. I could hear all the imperfections in recording and pressing. So I setup a second suspended deck TT with a forgiving MM and it's own Graham Slee phono. This sweetened the sound enough to make bad records sound good. 

I retired the MM TT for 2 reasons. 1. Because I needed the rack space for something else; and 2. I had pushed the performance of my main TT to the point that even bad records sounded good on it. I now operate just 1 TT.

Some perfectionists run 2 or 3 top-tier tables or arms on same table. To cater for different record thicknesses and for their big mono record collection. 

I am guilty on all charges.? if you are prepared to go on deeper end of dark pool do consider on the aspect of convenience of operation. Have one phonostage that does mm/mc and toggle with setting ever time you switch table. A better way to go is to two separate TT system or a very highend phono that can do everything on the fly with remote to go along. 

I have always owned only one TT, partly due to space constraints and also due to budget.  With only one TT,  I can spend my limited resources on it and optimised it.    The limitations is that it will not suit all LPs of different thickness easily and that it is not easy to swop cartridge for different type of flavour.  If I have unlimited resources and space, i wouldn't mind to have a 2nd TT.  

20 hours ago, wizardofoz said:

I have 8 TT's but actually only 4 are really operating 3 under repair and one under restoration. its a slippery slope, making to finding a DAC you like with perhaps different genres etc. I also repair my own gear so I'm a different case having so many.

I think you will get lots differing opinions of why people like this or that. For example I like tangiential tracking TT's and I have 4 of this design (one is DIY) and others have one TT but maybe 3-4 tonearm options on the one TT. 

If I have 4 TT...?

That will be Direct Drive for MM & MC, Belt Drive MM & MC.

Just nice 4 in total. ?

19 hours ago, jianw said:

I own 2 Rega TTs (both bought used) - one for MM and one for MC - as I find it a hassle to change cartridges on a Rega arm.

Some music I prefer MM, while some I prefer MC.

Thank you, that will be a good option for me.  
I curious both your 2 TT are Rega? Why is same? Have you think of Japanese TT or American TT?

2 hours ago, blue_starfish said:

I used to run 2 TT, but not anymore. It was because my main TT played good records very well, but played poor records very badly till I could not enjoy the music. I could hear all the imperfections in recording and pressing. So I setup a second suspended deck TT with a forgiving MM and it's own Graham Slee phono. This sweetened the sound enough to make bad records sound good. 

I retired the MM TT for 2 reasons. 1. Because I needed the rack space for something else; and 2. I had pushed the performance of my main TT to the point that even bad records sounded good on it. I now operate just 1 TT.

Some perfectionists run 2 or 3 top-tier tables or arms on same table. To cater for different record thicknesses and for their big mono record collection. 

Blue_Starfish,
So you end up with MC? Which MC & TT that you settled down?

2 hours ago, malsound said:

I am guilty on all charges.? if you are prepared to go on deeper end of dark pool do consider on the aspect of convenience of operation. Have one phonostage that does mm/mc and toggle with setting ever time you switch table. A better way to go is to two separate TT system or a very highend phono that can do everything on the fly with remote to go along. 

Malsound,
Remote can only change the Phono.  I need someone to change the cartridge too! ?

On 6/1/2021 at 1:50 PM, Garfield.sgp said:

Thank you, that will be a good option for me.  
I curious both your 2 TT are Rega? Why is same? Have you think of Japanese TT or American TT?

Yes - both RP6 - because they came in different colors. I figured I won't feel too panicked if I spoil one of them, since they share the same spare parts. I can also use the same Best Tractor cartridge alignment tool from mintLP on both of them.

No, I haven't thought of Japanese TT (Technics SL1200), because I didn't know then (the Audio Technica LP120 looks like it - has a detachable headshell so can change cartridge easily - like your Marantz TT). Didn't think of American TT (like VPI) because couldn't afford.

(When reopens, can visit RetroCrates at Joo Chiat - they sell both Rega and AT TTs. Vinyl Kakis basement peninsula shopping centre I think should have one AT TT for customers to test their LPs for sale.)

Edited by jianw
Additional info

On 5/31/2021 at 4:59 PM, Garfield.sgp said:

Hi All,

Newbie here getting into the dark side.  I have a Vintage Marantz 6100, but unfortunately it need to fix up as it don’t sound well.  I plan to get it fix and upgrade in the same time, I think about buy another one as a 2nd turntable.  But no sure should I get a used or new, direct drive or belt drive...

Anyone own 2 turntables at the same time? Why? Do you own direct drive and belt drive, or MC and MM? Or the both the same.

Would you mind share the story of why you get the 2nd turntable.

Thank you and stay safe.

Garfield 

BCDA6BE1-DD99-4383-AFDC-83A8C40C2101.jpeg

Your cartridge seems not aligned - if aligned then maybe it would sound?? Then can save ? 

I have 2 turntables cos I have 2 setups, a 'better' one (Gyrodec with Graham 1.5c unipivot, Hana SL) in my music room, and a 'not so good' one (CEC ST930 with Grace 707 unipivot, Nagaoka MP300).

Am actually in the process of setting up a 3rd system, so if any bros here thinking of selling one of their turntables, I'll be all ears!!!

ben

On 6/3/2021 at 10:51 PM, browncow1624706171 said:

I have 2 turntables cos I have 2 setups, a 'better' one (Gyrodec with Graham 1.5c unipivot, Hana SL) in my music room, and a 'not so good' one (CEC ST930 with Grace 707 unipivot, Nagaoka MP300).

Am actually in the process of setting up a 3rd system, so if any bros here thinking of selling one of their turntables, I'll be all ears!!!

ben

Thanks for sharing, ben.

Stay safe, everyone. 

Enjoy the music...

• 2 weeks later...

i have 3 TT

1 belt, 1 direct, 1 laser.

only 1 TT being used at any 1 time. The other TTs are always kept physically 10 meters or more away from the system.

This way the motor or whatever metallic parts of TT will not  affect the soundstaging capabilities of the audio system.