Spikes vs Blu Tack vs Pucks etc...

Good day all, what are the pros and cons for the different methods to secure a bookshelf speaker to it's stand. I have been using blu tack for a long time as it helps prevent mishaps and accidents such as accidentally toppling the speaker from the stand. However from sound quality point of view, which do you think is best and why?

Stay safe and have a great day! Cheers.

A proper stand is always the best  solution for bookshelf speaker.  Due to lack of space, I used my spare footers to support each speaker, it sounded much better than using blu tack.

1485810540_falcon3_5Aspeaker(2).thumb.jpg.ac5daa55ba90ee0380aa9d56066acaee.jpg

2 hours ago, fgchong said:

A proper stand is always the best  solution for bookshelf speaker.  Due to lack of space, I used my spare footers to support each speaker, it sounded much better than using blu tack.

1485810540_falcon3_5Aspeaker(2).thumb.jpg.ac5daa55ba90ee0380aa9d56066acaee.jpg

Yes no doubt a proper stand is always the best. What I meant to ask was, what is the best medium to place between speakers & speaker stands.

i use those square rubber feet, attached to both speaker & stand, offset by a small gap (meaning the speaker rubber square does not directly sit on top of stand rubber square). No wobble, no sliding.

ps: the stand was spiked to the floor via coins.

It worked well and sounded good.

Edited by Boxerfan88

3 hours ago, zephyr11 said:

i use stuff from herbie's fat dot, for between stand and speakers, compared to some stuff here considered very cheap.

they are also quite grippy.

Are the herbie's dots a soft compound similar to rubber? In such cases, wouldn that muddy the sound due to movement of the speaker cone which will cause the speaker to rock and smear timing?

Guest francishuang
32 minutes ago, ggg557 said:

Are the herbie's dots a soft compound similar to rubber? In such cases, wouldn that muddy the sound due to movement of the speaker cone which will cause the speaker to rock and smear timing?

That would depend on how vibration free is the speaker cabinet. It will help damp a resonating speaker cabinet better. Over damp or unable to transfer out energy from the cone movements of a speaker which cabinet is quite vibration free. 

Spikes, pucks or blu tac, its equipment, systems, preference dependant. 

Edited by francishuang

3 hours ago, ggg557 said:

i am using the regular fat dot, which actually is quite hard, apparently can take weights of up to . bass tightened, imaging clearer. this results are vs original (basic foam footers on the stands). each piece can take quite a bit of weight (20kg or more if i rem right). 

i've seen ppl using iso stands between stands AND speakers, i have those for another set of bookshelves which i am using on the table. 

58 minutes ago, zephyr11 said:

i am using the regular fat dot, which actually is quite hard, apparently can take weights of up to . bass tightened, imaging clearer. this results are vs original (basic foam footers on the stands). each piece can take quite a bit of weight (20kg or more if i rem right). 

i've seen ppl using iso stands between stands AND speakers, i have those for another set of bookshelves which i am using on the table. 

I see, glad you have good results using them! Care to share how the iso acoustics stands perform? I'm actually keen on using the iso pucks between the speaker and stand.

the iso stands i have are the basic plastic ones, they look a bit more spartan but work very well, i really recommend them, you just need to be sure to check the weight limit, per puck, and also make sure the total weight is 10% less than what the pucks can take.  a lot of people miss this part, and wonder why theirs don't work as well as they should. 

image.thumb.png.70429ea252e77ddd9ac89b0abd161ea6.png

Edited by zephyr11

10 hours ago, zephyr11 said:

the iso stands i have are the basic plastic ones, they look a bit more spartan but work very well, i really recommend them, you just need to be sure to check the weight limit, per puck, and also make sure the total weight is 10% less than what the pucks can take.  a lot of people miss this part, and wonder why theirs don't work as well as they should. 

image.thumb.png.70429ea252e77ddd9ac89b0abd161ea6.png

Well noted. Thanks for your input & advice bro.

• Like 1

^^^^^^^^^

i'm using cold ray ceramic under my tt, should be similar? 

i also used mini iso pucks prior to the cr ceramic, that did make the music feel slightly behind the speakers, ever so slightly less defined, while cr ceramic sounded nearer, ever so slightly crisper.

I'm currently using my own version of the similar design derived  from my spare TAOC spikes plates. 

My footers with precious stones. ?

20210526_170700.jpg

20210526_170720.jpg

Screenshot_20210602-121733_Gallery.jpg

IMG-20210511-WA0011.jpeg

Edited by Jsen
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Jsen said:

I'm currently using my own version of the similar design derived  from my spare TAOC spikes plates. 

My footers with precious stones. ?

20210526_170700.jpg

20210526_170720.jpg

Screenshot_20210602-121733_Gallery.jpg

IMG-20210511-WA0011.jpeg

Wow must be expensive ?