Pioneer UDP-LX 500 4K Universal Bluray Player

I was looking at this video player and it touted to be a Universal player but on reading further it was mentioned "  It plays all region 4K UHD discs but region locked to A for Blu-ray titles. For DVDs, I believe it is region locked to “3” as well but I never have any DVDs

I thought Universal B;uray player means Bluray freom any region can be played.

Region locked to A for Bluray I suppose only buray from region A can be played. This will not present any issue as most items of this format are from that region,

But what does DvD region locked to 3 mean?  Surely it cant just play those from SEA, HK and China while Region cannot be played when most of our DvDs are from Region 1.

Some confusion.

Does this player improve on PQ of DvDs and Bluray format compare to ordinary video players like S790?

I do not have this blu-ray player but generally, "universal" refers to ability to play various disc and file formats such as 4KUHD blu-ray, 1080 blu-ray,  SACD, DVD-A, DVD, etc and not to region restrictions.

DVD region locked to Region 3 means one can only play Region 3 DVDs in this player.

Some players can be jail broken to play all region 1080 blu-rays and DVDs. Not sure about this player.

There were "true" Universal player out there when it was still in production.

Pioneer-UDP-LX500-MULTIREGION-4K-Ultra-H

However, such gear would only be possible if it's imported else where,

not from local distribution. Pioneer SG knew there were demand of multi-region hacked machines since the DVD period. However, that would require internal hardware modifications such that the region hack stays to ensure stability. BluRay arrival becomes a relief for them as region hacking is not required since BluRay releases are identical in content between Singapore and U.S as well as Japanese release. At such new media age, the percentage of those who embrace old tech will be dropping, minimal and ignorable. Hence, there's no point to absorb such cost on modification.

Just wondering, where did OP saw the listing of the Pioneer LX500 when it's now officially discontinued?

1 hour ago, YANG said:

Just wondering, where did OP saw the listing of the Pioneer LX500 when it's now officially discontinued?

Maybe from carousell that someone posted it for sale at $1200 2 days ago.

ohh... preown huh... the Pioneer certainly had held it's value well.

however, if I'm buying, I'll likely to go to AA for warrantied Sony, even though it's not insured by Sony SG.