THE DEER HUNTER UHD BD [DVD][Region 2]

How come your box got such MIXUP identities?

While Region 2 is right for most UK releases, that's only for DVD. Not UHDBD.

Typically 4k UHD discs comes in package of:

Single disc release of UHDBD, or

Dual disc release of one UHDBD+ one 2k BD of extra features and documentaries, or

Dual disc release of the same movie where one disc is 4k transfer, another transfer in 2k, or

Dual disc release of one FHDBD of the movie, plus another in DVD format.

So, yours is which?

23 minutes ago, titactoh said:

If I play THE DEER HUNTER UHD BD [DVD][Region 2] either on my S790 or BDP450 will my OledC9pta be able to show it as 4k?... ...

Ok, back to your question, if you put in a FHDBD aka 2k BD, depending on your disc player advance settings, if it's by default set to upscale 2k to 4k, yeah... it'll displayed as 4k.

However, if from source output, video signal is in 2k, your TV will likely to detect as 2k video signal, then upscale automatically to "4k" just to fill up the screen.

4 minutes ago, YANG said:

How come your box got such MIXUP identities?

While Region 2 is right for most UK releases, that's only for DVD. Not UHDBD.

Typically 4k UHD discs comes in package of:

Single disc release of UHDBD, or

Dual disc release of one UHDBD+ one 2k BD of extra features and documentaries, or

Dual disc release of the same movie where one disc is 4k transfer, another transfer in 2k, or

Dual disc release of one FHDBD of the movie, plus another in DVD format.

So, yours is which?

I took it from Ebay THE DEER HUNTER UHD BD [DVD][Region 2]

https://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/273916802666?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item3fc6b6b66a:g:16EAAOSwQXtdHwIu&amdata=enc%3AAQAFAAACgBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%2Fn%2BzU5L90Z278x5ickkY3FSd4Ad8xn3oRtkVexxrG9K5Iz%2BMMwKh1jarLX59mB2WEB%2BzD%2FUSjler2QDmzq29nk7U9Ttzix2bPg83d79B1%2BoHmnMhmlCTYqGr3zkh6XYIPsWdMbdQ0yNWQhbFXoHx0MilO94hNp8Hr4jQPwvkEHcfAouSpGWetiMZY2CyuT9zv5ofqLw%2BU9MhFQ%2Fz7T3RraqQqZNyEqWlbRBsAp0QE0L20Vx6TXvBFuCud%2FNxbyujrbKTWLkulmlYzyTcH8GmoFg%2Fr7GUrVKzDoXpewBof1kPlhYZH7QpZxt%2B%2B%2BoKFhT%2FgGEyPU3k1zVjeB05gxZNw%2Bofq2MuZd4FxuMb5ydS9GuIPphV%2F23ZTnBT4Bu6bozoEa%2FpZz7DSgbn6uYOqUbqa0mbCxj%2Fzi58sZJjlkt6hQVFvaryu%2BJZdt5s2J5zvOMOavTWXAXFDXBQ%2BFXlAOMr8tBpVV9yXdw7KTypXBWhEQw9xvpKl5Z657MuNmR3DT%2BAP%2FlczbQJMueO4zPylesIjh2XrcsydovTM%2FeqgOXeBZCc1QAXDxk8WO7nQKBXzsSHO3nePBtOwArgePdsk9CFTxtmjoX1b3lqXAIBRtrCeXBfFyp7foH8BhmOQ4s%2BfnJgq%2BC7qrQLXgPYtJtx%2BRxqPLADc6jiPl%2F9osQxhOChJd1Yog%2BbW9YGVcszmldW%2FsFwGTgZDx31BQEUzmSZh7VM0gjyP6XXSbjF2SCkqumJAw3ehwKTtRgO%2Bz42hlBSRs16FG9WthqRrTr%2FKy9EB60TNBMNt53pqAlSa4DK%2BQ27QdcjUGUb3poneJ7Ttv6cuA%3D|cksum%3A2739168026663fb87e23dfff4283a2649cbdb16f5065|ampid%3APL_CLK|clp%3A2334524

Both your Sony and Pioneer are normal 1080p Blu Ray players.

The advertised disc in eBay is a 4K UHD Blu Ray that will not play with any of your players.  All 4K UHD disc are not region locked so they will playback on all 4K UIHD players.  The DVD [Region 2] warning is probably a default precautionary eBay warning inserted for all disc shipping from that region.

(Audio)

1 hour ago, Audio said:

Both your Sony and Pioneer are normal 1080p Blu Ray players.

The advertised disc in eBay is a 4K UHD Blu Ray that will not play with any of your players.  All 4K UHD disc are not region locked so they will playback on all 4K UIHD players.  The DVD [Region 2] warning is probably a default precautionary eBay warning inserted for all disc shipping from that region.

(Audio)

I just want to be sure of my players and Tv capability. 

Thank you for the info.

Edited by titactoh

15 hours ago, titactoh said:

I just want to be sure of my players and Tv capability. 

Thank you for the info.

Your TV is LG OLED that is 4K, HDR and DV ready.

You just need to pick up a 4K UHD Blu Ray player which are selling at $200+ to $300+ brand new.   I donated my Sony X800 to a HK colleague last year, and sold my Panasonic and Samsung at  Carousell at $220 and $120 respectively.

(Audio)

26 minutes ago, Audio said:

You just need to pick up a 4K UHD Blu Ray player which are selling at $200+ to $300+ brand new.   I donated my Sony X800 to a HK colleague last year, and sold my Panasonic and Samsung at  Carousell at $220 and $120 respectively.

(Audio)

I would prefer a reliable brand like Pioneer/Panasonic with support in case of need which has to be better in PQ than my S790 & Pioneer 450 for Dvd/Bd for a change.

YANG mentioned a Panasonic UB820.

Just wonder what is the going price for a used set. 

42 minutes ago, Audio said:

(Audio)

I would prefer a reliable brand like Pioneer/Panasonic with support in case of need which has to be better in PQ than my S790 & Pioneer 450 for Dvd/Bd for a change.

That is just a WANT btw.

As I know and my info may be outdated; 4K titles are few and far between besides they are very costly .

Given a choice I would prefer to rip dvd/bd and save in Zidoo9 but right now I have less than 150 including 30 bd while rest are dvd. I only rip those which I often rewatch and I also have some classic MIC dvds from quite reliable source like CCTV for serials like 4 kingdoms, Red Chamber, Water Margin and some classic stage plays but I do not know wether they can be ripped.

But as has been mentioned the procedures are easily friendly to the young who have been exposed to a generation or 2 of the cullture of binary devices and gadgets while seniors approachthem with trepidation.

Franklly I am inclined to try as the ripping and storage devices are affordable just that it is a mission with challenges.

3 hours ago, titactoh said:

The UB820, if ordered and imported from UK without warranty, will cost you roughly $800 inclusive of shipping charges.

If you choose to get from US where there are listings in eBay instead, it will cost you slightly less, but you'll need a step down voltage converter as an addition. All that adds up, will still comes close to what UK seller may offer with addition of multi-region play capable on both BD and DVD format. 

So... coming close to 1k and you don't get warranty insurance. Local sets is the only way to go.

Sony's local x700 is now going on sale @ $3++, while parallel imported x800 offered by Anson Audio comes with warranty by seller, yet x700 warrantied by Sony.

7fe49eaf32cb2e563d26c95a4168c02c.jpg

https://www.lazada.sg/products/sony-ubp-x800m2-multi-region-4k-bluray-player-foc-2pcs-4k-movies-while-stock-last-i1334422386.html

Only parallel imported set is multi-region friendly on both BD and DVD. Sony's x700 is totally locked in opposite @ region A/3.

1 minute ago, titactoh said:

....Write up of UB820 looks good except it is not multi region for dvd/bd.

Not cheap though..

well... just in case u had not known...

Panasonic-DP-UB820-MULTIREGION-4K-Ultra-

https://www.tps.uk.com/?tab_name=Panasonic&tab_id=52&choice_name=MultiRegion&choice_id=178&product_group_id=221&product_name=Panasonic_DP-UB820_MULTIREGION_4K_Ultra_HD_Blu-ray_Player_-_DP-UB820EBK&product_id=5617&choice_type=1

On 5/22/2021 at 3:55 PM, titactoh said:

Given a choice I would prefer to rip dvd/bd and save in Zidoo9 but right now I have less than 150 including 30 bd while rest are dvd. I only rip those which I often rewatch and I also have some classic MIC dvds from quite reliable source like CCTV for serials like 4 kingdoms, Red Chamber, Water Margin and some classic stage plays but I do not know wether they can be ripped.

It is for this very reason why you should not spend money buying a premium player.  

(Audio)

Bro. Audio,

Very appreciative of your advice. Thank you.

Buying the Software license to process and the Zidoo9 are ok with me but the procedure to enhance current Dvds and Blurays will be

extremely challenging for me.

May need  a freelancer to do it for a fee. Next question mark is whether my current S790 and BDP450 is up to the mark to project the

enhance video discs to my LgOled?

On 5/22/2021 at 7:53 PM, titactoh said:

UB820 from overseas no need to consider.

Write up of UB820 looks good except it is not multi region for dvd/bd.

Not cheap though.

The China GIEC brand FHD 2k player now available in PohKim outlets for sale

is a multi-region player that plays numbers of formats with no region blocking.

This 4k player selling in MALAYSIA now is also all region free.

bbbd67cfc4c128c8f51265ceab535ac7.jpg

https://www.lazada.com.my/products/giec-bdp-g5300-4k-ultra-hd-bluray-player-3d-bluray-dvd-player-black-i1547366489.html

Since PohKim can bring in all region free player for sale to public,

i think they should able to bring in the 4k player as well.

I suggest that you hop by your neighborhood PohKim store

and check with them on the possibility of getting the 4k player from them.

2 hours ago, titactoh said:

...Next question mark is whether my current S790 and BDP450 is up to the mark to project the

Don't know what's your TV size, as well as the distance of your viewing sweetspot away from the TV.

However, just to share a simple mathematics calculation on image pixel size vs presentation quality yields what kind of result...

From 2k FHD to 4k UHD, is a 2x jump, while from DVD to UHD is a rough 4~6x jump.

If you can accept 4k upscale presentation from 2k origin upscale, i don't think you can't take DVD resolution upscale to 4k as lots of "pixelization aura" will happen and follows on moving objects... especially on the characters of the movie should there is many physical action.

"Pixelization Aura" could easily be missed, if your sitting distance is far from the recommended viewing distance that had been suggested in different forum discussions or tech videos.

You're not alone on DVD collection as my number could probably beat you easily.

Hence, I've to tackle good and acceptable presentation qualities from Anamorphic and Non-Anamorphic, PAL and NTSC discs to be blow up nice and well to complement to my 50inch 4k TV such that i won't be turned off by the poor presentation quality.

The most important factor lies on you, as well as others...

how "WELL/GOOD/QUALITY" do you expect to get from old tech software, to new tech gears?

36 minutes ago, YANG said:

The China GIEC brand FHD 2k player now available in PohKim outlets for sale

is a multi-region player that plays numbers of formats with no region blocking.

This 4k player selling in MALAYSIA now is also all region free.

bbbd67cfc4c128c8f51265ceab535ac7.jpg

https://www.lazada.com.my/products/giec-bdp-g5300-4k-ultra-hd-bluray-player-3d-bluray-dvd-player-black-i1547366489.html

Since PohKim can bring in all region free player for sale to public,

i think they should able to bring in the 4k player as well.

I suggest that you hop by your neighborhood PohKim store

and check with them on the possibility of getting the 4k player from them.

Specs look interesting.

Myr1399. equi S$450/ affordable. There is mention there is "no jailbreak version" by KL Seller.

How does "jailbreak" affect me. I play normal dvd/bluray mainly from USA/european countries and China dvds;. Ccan they be played on this device?

6 hours ago, titactoh said:

Bro. Audio,

Very appreciative of your advice. Thank you.

Buying the Software license to process and the Zidoo9 are ok with me but the procedure to enhance current Dvds and Blurays will be

extremely challenging for me.

May need  a freelancer to do it for a fee. Next question mark is whether my current S790 and BDP450 is up to the mark to project the

When you rip, you will not be using your players.   You need to put the Blu Ray disc into your computer Blu Ray compatible drive and rip the disc.  Just for you, I have playback your favourite movie on my LG OLED with the Zidoo Z9X in Dolby Vision.

These pictures are taken directly from my OLED screen using iPhone and are unedited.  Source is a ripped normal Blu Ray. 

(Audio)

9AAA5127-B181-4AA2-890D-ADFEB9904CF9.jpeg

B780F05F-6D16-4E5F-802B-8F625824ECEE.jpeg

Edited by Audio

3 hours ago, YANG said:

Don't know what's your TV size, as well as the distance of your viewing sweetspot away from the TV.

However, just to share a simple mathematics calculation on image pixel size vs presentation quality yields what kind of result...

From 2k FHD to 4k UHD, is a 2x jump, while from DVD to UHD is a rough 4~6x jump.

If you can accept 4k upscale presentation from 2k origin upscale, i don't think you can't take DVD resolution upscale to 4k as lots of "pixelization aura" will happen and follows on moving objects... especially on the characters of the movie should there is many physical action.

"Pixelization Aura" could easily be missed, if your sitting distance is far from the recommended viewing distance that had been suggested in different forum discussions or tech videos.

You're not alone on DVD collection as my number could probably beat you easily.

Hence, I've to tackle good and acceptable presentation qualities from Anamorphic and Non-Anamorphic, PAL and NTSC discs to be blow up nice and well to complement to my 50inch 4k TV such that i won't be turned off by the poor presentation quality.

The most important factor lies on you, as well as others...

how "WELL/GOOD/QUALITY" do you expect to get from old tech software, to new tech gears?

Distance from TV surface to my eye position is 10ft 3inches.

Using a LgOled55C9pta

Not superlative quality but has to be the better than US made DvD or bluray disc quality on a S790. and able to play bluray/dvd from Japan , China or other European countries.

2 hours ago, Audio said:

When you rip, you will not be using your players.   You need to put the Blu Ray disc into your computer Blu Ray compatible drive and rip the disc.  Just for you, I have playback your favourite movie on my LG OLED with the Zidoo Z9X in Dolby Vision.

These pictures are taken directly from my OLED screen using iPhone and are unedited.  Source is a ripped normal Blu Ray. 

(Audio)

9AAA5127-B181-4AA2-890D-ADFEB9904CF9.jpeg

B780F05F-6D16-4E5F-802B-8F625824ECEE.jpeg

Dont know if my Lenovo AIO520,  23.8inch has the Bluray compatible Drive.

Did you use the ordinary DVD for ripping above images ?

2 hours ago, titactoh said:

Dont know if my Lenovo AIO520,  23.8inch has the Bluray compatible Drive.

Did you use the ordinary DVD for ripping above images ?

You can easily buy a USB Blu Ray drive snd connect to your Lenovo.

No, the DVD cannot reach the Blu Ray PQ.  This is the ripped file from the Blu Ray.

(Audio)

usbbluraydrive.JPG

Edited by Audio

Isn't it that those external DVD/BD drives had internal firmwares that would lock itself up against other region discs after 3 identical region discs are loaded? I think there's a need for guidance how to neutralize the region coding identification feature of those external drives...

On 5/29/2021 at 7:01 PM, YANG said:

Isn't it that those external DVD/BD drives had internal firmwares that would lock itself up against other region discs after 3 identical region discs are loaded? I think there's a need for guidance how to neutralize the region coding identification feature of those external drives...

I don't know if these are region locked or not.  I only want to show what kind of Blu Ray drives  Titactoh could consider.  I have use DVDfab and never has it once ask me to change region.   ?

(Audio)