Transferring my music CDs to a WD harddrive for playing through my Marantz NA11s1 Dac USB port.

Now, I want to share a bad experience with portable SSD drive. I used a Samsung SSD for “archive”, and it was “offline” for about 9 months. When I reconnected the SSD drive, it was totally corrupted, all my data was lost. From that bad experience, I never trust SSD for archiving/backup, I only use HDD.

I don’t know what caused the total data loss. Does SSD need to powered up occasionally to maintain memory charge? Until today, I don’t know what went wrong.

And guess what, that corrupted SSD was reformatted, reused as a boot drive in a frequently used PC, and it is working fine until today, 3 years on!!!

My recommendation is not to use SSD for backup/archive. Use a HDD instead. I don’t trust SSD for offline backup…

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is no "fast" way.  You got to do it with discipline and  consistency.   I use dbpoweramp for CD ripping and mp3tag for tagging.  I will advise people to use AIFF format for your rippin

Everyone,   Take my advice.  Use AIFF instead of FLAC.  For SACD and DSD files, use DSF.  Use WAV for extraction from DVD-Audio and Blu-Ray Audio   Today I am still regretting usin

A very BIG THANK YOU to Bro. AUDIO for your generosity of Time and Effort in detailing the requirements for Ripping Cds and the Ripping Process.   Really appreciate. I have ripped about 50 C

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Boxerfan88 said:

Yes you can. The SSD/USB functions like a portable hard disk. Can plug to another PC and use.

So besides having it as a backup starage I can still make use if it to play music from at other PC with a USB port,.

Thank you very much Bro.

8 hours ago, petetherock said:

You don't need your PC to be on LAN, so long as both PC and Na11 end up on the same network. The NA 11 needs LAN to join your local network, which your PC should be on if it has wifi.

Then you can use Airplay. 

And when it dies, you can consider a basic Mac especially if you aren't a pro user. Macs aren't expensive and are easy to use. They perform well for music too.

If you have an external HD with your music, it can be read by another machine, but you need a player, eg Itunes or other interface. Then tell the interface software that you wish to read off an external library, eg your hard disc.

While I sincerely appreciate the extension of choices, I need to decipher this info like where to look for Airplay for instance.

In the Internet and Network worlds, one has to accept that "dinosaurs" still exist and it is a real phenomena. I am no exclusion to this category in all frankness. I need to take time to digest .

Thanks Bro. 

The 5 CDs which I repped automatically went to a file  in the HDD known as C://CHINA/Music.

How the word CHINA appeared I do not know.

Any advise how do I create a File in the C drive and direct the RIPPING to be saved ther?

6 hours ago, titactoh said:

The 5 CDs which I repped automatically went to a file  in the HDD known as C://CHINA/Music.

How the word CHINA appeared I do not know.

Any advise how do I create a File in the C drive and direct the RIPPING to be saved ther?

You ripped 5 CDs.  You should have 5 folders; each folder would have as many song files.   Is that right?

(Audio)

Posted (edited)

That explains it! Most likely you used the default location. I guess your username is "china", therefore it stored in the default music store for this user -> C:\users\china\Music\

I am not familiar with dbpoweramp, maybe someone here can guide you to move it to your data D:\ drive.

Edited by Boxerfan88
Posted (edited)

Post your "This PC" picture (example below) so that we know where your data drive is...

pix3b.jpg

Edited by Boxerfan88

I just ripped 2 CDs by Cai Qin under same Title LAO GE

The first one is by Sanyo japan and the tracks run from 1 to 10.

The 2nd Cd is also UFO Gold but by Warner Bros. serial 9031-77926-9 and the track runs from 11 to 20.

Both are arranged by track name but track number of 2nd Cd is just after the 11st CD but is a 2 digit.

Eg 1, 11, 2, 12, 3, 13 etc.

Is there any way for me to separate the 2 CD so that when scrolling to choose a song I will ba able to know which CD it is from.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Boxerfan88 said:

Post your "This PC" picture (example below) so that we know where your data drive is...

pix3b.jpg

Will try to look for it.

I would suggest you try ripping the same two discs with iTunes. Very little effort and the organization of files, retrieval and copying onto a usb is ideal for seniors who want minimal hassle. 

Ok found it. Here is the image. Let me know if it is not Clear or Incomplete.

20210513_191250[1].jpg

10 minutes ago, petetherock said:

I would suggest you try ripping the same two discs with iTunes. Very little effort and the organization of files, retrieval and copying onto a usb is ideal for seniors who want minimal hassle. 

I would certainly like to look into this programme but after I learn the current programme. Thanks for the suggestion. What I have is time.