Transferring my music CDs to a WD harddrive for playing through my Marantz NA11s1 Dac USB port.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

titactoh,

You used the program "mp3tag".   Install this program.  You go to your folder of the stored songs.  Right click the selected folder in Win 10 and then you will see "mp3tag" as one of the selection, select that.

It will open a table of all your songs.  Do a "Control-A" to select all songs.   The common values for the album is located on the left side, album title, Artist, Album Artist, data, and most important, the album cover.

You can change the data here but make sure the songs are selected and you must save everything you make a change.   You can individually change the song titles, or artist name for different track....just select and one track and make the change.  make sure you select all songs again and save before you exit.

This program can also hunt for the album titles through the internet and paste the data for you if they find your album.  At the top selection bar, select "Tag Source"....use "freedb" (especially for Chinese album) or MusicBrainz.   This feature can save you lots of work especially you get a SACD album to tag.

(Audio)

Edited by Audio

Everyone,

Take my advice.  Use AIFF instead of FLAC.  For SACD and DSD files, use DSF.  Use WAV for extraction from DVD-Audio and Blu-Ray Audio

Today I am still regretting using ALAC (Apple Lossless, m4a files) and I am still reformatting some of my earlier rips.

(Audio)

Edited by Audio
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Audio said:

Everyone,

Take my advice.  Use AIFF instead of FLAC.  For SACD and DSD files, use DSF.  Use WAV for extraction from DVD-Audio and Blu-Ray Audio

Today I am still regretting using ALAC (Apple Lossless, m4a files) and I am still reformatting some of my earlier rips.

Pg 47 of the user manual for the Marantz NA11S1 lists the supported file types but AIFF isn't one of them...

May I ask why you prefer AIFF over FLAC btw?

3 hours ago, headfiman said:

Pg 47 of the user manual for the Marantz NA11S1 lists the supported file types but AIFF isn't one of them...

May I ask why you prefer AIFF over FLAC btw?

Because I found it sounded consistently better.  That is why I am taking the effort to re-rip the CDs or if that cannot be done, I will use a file convertor to change it.  It takes quite a bit of efforts.    I also leave some of the older files (ALAC or FLAC) as duplicates in my library to remind me why I should continue my efforts to change everything to AIFF or DSF.....advising all I know to move to a better format.   Get it done right the first time so you don't have  redo it again.

Sorry, I didn't know that this Marantz player could not play AIFF...so, the next best format will be WAV.

(Audio)

Guest wusplay

AIFF and WAV are uncompressed. Large file size and sound superior.

FLAC although lossless but is compressed. The compression seem to have some impact on the sound quality.

On 5/13/2021 at 11:58 PM, Audio said:

titactoh,

You used the program "mp3tag".   Install this program.  You go to your folder of the stored songs.  Right click the selected folder in Win 10 and then you will see "mp3tag" as one of the selection, select that.

It will open a table of all your songs.  Do a "Control-A" to select all songs.   The common values for the album is located on the left side, album title, Artist, Album Artist, data, and most important, the album cover.

You can change the data here but make sure the songs are selected and you must save everything you make a change.   You can individually change the song titles, or artist name for different track....just select and one track and make the change.  make sure you select all songs again and save before you exit.

This program can also hunt for the album titles through the internet and paste the data for you if they find your album.  At the top selection bar, select "Tag Source"....use "freedb" (especially for Chinese album) or MusicBrainz.   This feature can save you lots of work especially you get a SACD album to tag.

(Audio)

Bro. Audio,

The mp3tag has been installed. Where is the Windows 10 you are referring to. How do I go from here. ? Thanks.

Titactoh,

You should have a main folder called "Titactoh Music".  Inside this folder, you should allocate one folder for every artist, inside the artist folder, you put in the CD folders, one folder per CD, each CD folder holds the tracks file for that particular CD.

To change the tags of a particular Shakira album, "Sale el Sol" CD, you go to right click the CD folder which open up a menu, select mp3tag as shown in the picture.

Once you open up mp3tag, you select individual track to change the data or you Control-A to select all tracks and you can start the data on the left side of the screen.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

(Audio)

Picture1.JPG

Picture2.JPG

Bro

Since your PC is dying, I would reiterate my suggestion as it's a apt time.

Get into the Mac / iTunes / Airplay environment.

Why?
I'm a PC idiot myself and even my mum who is more than 80 can use it easily.

You don't worry about where the files are, how to name them etc.

So long as you have wifi you'll be able to enjoy the music anywhere, with any Airplay enabled device.

Your NA 11 may also be due for a replacement eventually as the number of functions it can do diminishes and it ages too.

One time pain, migrate your system to a Mac Mini with a fast SSD. 

Also, ripping of movies isn't so simple and can be laborious. You also cannot make silk purses out of pig's ears. So you cannot expect any TV or upscaling chip in a BR player to make the low res DVD look fabulous.

But an attached BR unit with a BR player software can allow you to play all kinds of movies and regions on your TV. It can even use Airplay to the TV and play music if it is Airplay enabled.

I like the Mac environment because of it's ease of use. You can use many lossless formats that your NA 11 can read. But the best part is Airplay can just play whatever format it streams. 

For your consideration. 

On 5/2/2021 at 2:41 PM, Audio said:

There is no "fast" way.  You got to do it with discipline and  consistency.

I use dbpoweramp for CD ripping and mp3tag for tagging.  I will advise people to use AIFF format for your ripping.   Avoid Apple Lossless (ALAC) and FLAC.  AIFF sounded superior and to this day I am still re-ripping some of my media to AIFF.

I have been doing the ripping off my CD library for over a decade and I am still doing it a few disc at a time.

(Audio)

so i wanted to try my hand to tag some of my chinese cds, tried mp3tag. it looks like it works in the program. but in windows page it's still "???"

i tried to save and exit and come back same thing.

not sure why.

image.thumb.png.a79600993d461e0d261c1b87d12c13e0.png

26 minutes ago, zephyr11 said:

so i wanted to try my hand to tag some of my chinese cds, tried mp3tag. it looks like it works in the program. but in windows page it's still "???"

i tried to save and exit and come back same thing.

not sure why.

image.thumb.png.a79600993d461e0d261c1b87d12c13e0.png

Have you tried using another player like JRiver to display the title.  Chinese characters are funny, sometimes, it appears and sometimes, it's garbage. 

(Audio)

18 hours ago, Audio said:

Have you tried using another player like JRiver to display the title.  Chinese characters are funny, sometimes, it appears and sometimes, it's garbage. 

(Audio)

i tried to download the jriver jukebox, but it seems like they stopped it, only the paid one works, which i didn't download. 

i don't use other players/media centers, as i use the app on the ipad to access my NORD streamer, 4stream, which pulls it from my pc (like dlna i think).

it shows exactly what i shared, the funny thing is it registers the singer name, album, but not song titles.

12 hours ago, Boxerfan88 said:

Add both Simplified & Traditional Chinese language pack to Windows 10 OS. Try again.

doesn't seem to help, i previously had simplified chinese already installed. and i added traditional. 

Then, no choice.

Go google the chinese album.  Do a cut and paste over the song titles from google to the mp3tag title field....one by one.   That's what I have been doing all these years....one by one.

(Audio)  

1 hour ago, zephyr11 said:

^^^^^^^^^^

think i'll just leave them as ?????????

weird thing is the album name shows up ok, but they song titles don't. 

?

Just google, cut and paste.  Take about 5-10 to solve the problem.  Worth the time.

(Audio)

On 5/2/2021 at 11:04 PM, Audio said:

Dbpoweramp is a CD ripping software meant to be installed onto your PC with the CD drive.  You buy by going to the link below, pay with your credit card and download the software to be installed.

https://www.dbpoweramp.com/

(1) Yes, the ripping is a simple process.  Of course, you need to install the software and configure it for your use.  It will detect your CD drive to calibrate the offset.  You should set it up for the format of the file (I recommend AIFF).  You put in CD, it will detect the CD and try to match it with the database.,  If it is found, it will populate the fields.  It also have Accuraterip which compares your ripping process with other dbpoweramp users to ensure you that your ripping for that particular CD is done accurately. 

(2)  As long as it is a popular CD, it will be found in the database and the album name, artists and track tiles will be populated.  If it is an unknown album, like a Chinese album (though it also recognize many Chinese CD).  In the case where it cannot match anything in the database, you can continue to rip the CD and then use mp3tag to search for the tagging data.   Worst case scenario, you do a album search on the internet and then manual insert the data one by one using mp3tag.

(3) If your PC do not have a CD /DVD/ Blu Ray drive, you need one to be connected to the USB port of your PC. 

(4) Yes, any storage device will work, harddisk inside your PC, external USB Hard Disk, SSD, any brand will do.  

(5) Cannot understand your question. What do you mean by a USB hard disk plugging in to charge?  As I understand it, a USB hard disk take the power from the USB plug.  It remains power up as long as your PC is powered.

Forget about the Zenn player.  The mp3 format is inferior and you will be happy with AIFF, even FLAC or Apple Lossless but I recommend AIFF.  But if you MUST, then dbpoweramp comes with a file convertor that can convert mp3 files into whatever format you like.  Converting is the easy part, tagging your old files will be a huge and tedious problem as you cannot use any database to match.   Everything will be manual.

(Audio)

A very BIG THANK YOU to Bro. AUDIO for your generosity of Time and Effort in detailing the requirements for Ripping Cds and the Ripping Process.

Really appreciate. I have ripped about 50 Cds and have also copied them to my USB Thumbdrive storage. Though at this junction the loaded mp3tag software has not been made use of until I am sufficiently courageous to start. 

At the same time gratitude goes also to Boxerfan88 for his  caution and timely advice 

And to Bro. annapurna for his encouragement with regard to NA11s1 dac and the suitability of USB connection and the recommendation of USB storage devices and reliablity

Note for Bro. annapurna : I just tried (6june21) my USB thumbdrive on the NAs11 and it worked. Thank you for your guidance.

And same goes to Jonlee, Goldberg, petetherock and Bean and others for their invaluable contribution without which I would not have been able to do it and learn a skill in this audiophile journey.

Wish you all stay Healthy, be Safe and most of all be Happy!

La Vita e Bella !

jonlee

jonlee

• Like 1