Transferring my music CDs to a WD harddrive for playing through my Marantz NA11s1 Dac USB port.

On 5/6/2021 at 10:21 AM, annapurna1624705732 said:

Yes, you can control with the NA11 remote.   You can also download the Marantz Remote App to you android phone and its easier to control from there.

Thanks to all bros. who have taken time off to proved guidance and advice.

Good to know Android can do the job of a Remote controller as I can make use of a 2nd Android phone with 16gb storage..

Thank you all bros. for step by step detailed explanation.

I am using Lenovo AIO520 (Non-Touch) 23.8 inch. wiht Windows 10.

A search on google show storage type and capaciti as 

Storage Up to 2 TB HDD + 256 GB PCIe SSD storage

Wireless LAN

802.11ac, 1x1, Wi-Fi + Bluetooth® 4.0

But it is WIRED. Itis not WIRELESS!

Ports
  • 2 USB 3.0
  • 3 USB 2.0
  • HDMI-in
  • HDMI-out
  • 3-in-1 card reader (SD, SDHC, SDXC)
  • 10/100/1000 LAN
  • Combo audio/microphone jack

What I need: for Hardware   :

1)    SSD 520 GB as external storage in  case PC breaks downand beyong repair. Will go for SANDISK 500gb SSD as it looks handy & potable, Will not buy it it is NOT RELIABLE or runs HOT.

2)  High speed USB 3.1 - 256 gb Thumbdrive  .   Any recommendation for a RELIABLE brand that does nor RUN HOT ; as my SANDSIK Ultra USB 3.0 32GB runs hot.

What I need for Software :

1)   Online purchse of License for dbpoweramp ripper software ( are there many or only one vendor for this?

2)  Online purchase for License of Jriver

Questions :

When I purchase online software does it ask for destination to download to OR there is no choice but it just download into my Desktop.

All CDs ripped will go into the Harddrive of the PC

How do I use dbpoweramp create this D:\MUSIC

Do I need to enter title for each CD or is it automatic after it detects the CD and search the database

When I finish for the day do I just close the application. 

Can I use Paypal to pay or has it to be Credit card.

Thank you

20210507_130131[1].jpg

20210507_130308[1].jpg

20210507_130142[1].jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make your life easy lah , play your 500 CDs with it and copy it the same time ..

https://av1group.com.sg/collections/cd-players-rippers/products/astell-kern-cd-ripper-mk

or

http://cocktailaudio.co.uk/index.shtml

or

https://www.lenbrook.com.sg/collections/cd-player-rippers/products/bluesound-vault-2i

All can get from the local shop.

Edited by econav

Guest wusplay

Yes, good suggestion by econav. 

to make thing easy, can simply use device like Bluesound VAULT 2i, it will rip the disc into bit perfect format and store in the internal 2T HDD or you can backup it to external drive. 

As simple as just insert the disc, the device will take care of all things within 10min. Do not need to involve computer. 

Can optical out and use Marantz Na11s1 as Dac. 

VAULT 2i is also a streamer, feature-rich and easy to use.

You can use handphone or computer on the same WiFi network to control with apps like Spotify, Tidal etc. 

Good morning bros.

I have somehow with trepidation been able to ripped 5 CDs successfully last evening with great satisfaction .

Thank you all especially AUDIO, Boxerfan88, ANNAPURNA, Goldberg, & Jonlee without whose advice, guidance and encouragement I would not have

the confidence to proceed. and overcome my ignorance.

Have a good day ahead to all.

Bro
I used to own the NA 11 and used it with great success and satisfaction with the inbuilt Airplay function. Given that you want to keep it simple, this may work for you too:

Now PCs can use Airplay too.

https://www.lifewire.com/where-to-get-airplay-for-windows-2000736

Why use Airplay?

Well the USB function for the NA 11 is meant for a small number of files only. The menu selection is pretty rudimentary and once you start adding anything more than 100 files, you will find a lot of hassle finding your music file.

So streaming via Airplay is very simple and the sound is very decent. I'm a PC idiot hence I'm sharing this because it's very easy.

So rip your CDs using the iTunes app on your PC. You can choose the file types that bro Audio suggested. Itunes helps you organise the files.

Then you stream the music to your NA 11 which will appear on the speaker choice. You were previously using the radio streaming function, so I know you have the ability to stream music to the NA 11.

Now if you really want to play those files on the USB port, you can still copy those files onto the thumb drive and play those files in a lossless format.

For your consideration. 

2 hours ago, petetherock said:

Bro
I used to own the NA 11 and used it with great success and satisfaction with the inbuilt Airplay function. Given that you want to keep it simple, this may work for you too:

Now PCs can use Airplay too.

https://www.lifewire.com/where-to-get-airplay-for-windows-2000736

Why use Airplay?

Well the USB function for the NA 11 is meant for a small number of files only. The menu selection is pretty rudimentary and once you start adding anything more than 100 files, you will find a lot of hassle finding your music file.

So streaming via Airplay is very simple and the sound is very decent. I'm a PC idiot hence I'm sharing this because it's very easy.

So rip your CDs using the iTunes app on your PC. You can choose the file types that bro Audio suggested. Itunes helps you organise the files.

Then you stream the music to your NA 11 which will appear on the speaker choice. You were previously using the radio streaming function, so I know you have the ability to stream music to the NA 11.

Now if you really want to play those files on the USB port, you can still copy those files onto the thumb drive and play those files in a lossless format.

For your consideration. 

Thank you bro. for recommending this option.

"Then you stream the music to your NA 11 which will appear on the speaker choice. You were previously using the radio streaming function, so I know you have the ability to stream music to the NA 11."

My NA11 is attached by LAN cable to a Router. I play the inbuilt Internet Radio through its selection. Now it is no more available as Display show corrupted figures/words. Internet radio has to be subscribed on yearly basis.  My PC was never attached/paired as it is in a different location a running LAN may be a challenge with obstacles.

Thanks this is useful >   "Now if you really want to play those files on the USB port, you can still copy those files onto the thumb drive and play those files in a lossless format."

1 hour ago, annapurna1624705732 said:

You can also subscribe to Spotify.  From your Samsung phone, you can stream spotify from NA11 with the control from your Samsung phone spotify app.  Its very easy.  Give it a try.

Thank you, May do so one day.

Like to check with Bros. here.

If I copy from my PC those files in a SSD storage for emergency backup in case my Lenovo AIO PC breakdown beyond repair (which I intend to to save all my efforts) ; can I attach the SSD USB plug to the USB port of another AIO Dell PC Inspiron 20" model 3043 in my room and play the music from it ?

Thank you.

50 minutes ago, titactoh said:

Thank you bro. for recommending this option.

"Then you stream the music to your NA 11 which will appear on the speaker choice. You were previously using the radio streaming function, so I know you have the ability to stream music to the NA 11."

My NA11 is attached by LAN cable to a Router. I play the inbuilt Internet Radio through its selection. Now it is no more available as Display show corrupted figures/words. Internet radio has to be subscribed on yearly basis.  My PC was never attached/paired as it is in a different location a running LAN may be a challenge with obstacles.

Thanks this is useful >   "Now if you really want to play those files on the USB port, you can still copy those files onto the thumb drive and play those files in a lossless format."

You don't need your PC to be on LAN, so long as both PC and Na11 end up on the same network. The NA 11 needs LAN to join your local network, which your PC should be on if it has wifi.

Then you can use Airplay. 

And when it dies, you can consider a basic Mac especially if you aren't a pro user. Macs aren't expensive and are easy to use. They perform well for music too.

If you have an external HD with your music, it can be read by another machine, but you need a player, eg Itunes or other interface. Then tell the interface software that you wish to read off an external library, eg your hard disc.

1 hour ago, titactoh said:

Like to check with Bros. here.

If I copy from my PC those files in a SSD storage for emergency backup in case my Lenovo AIO PC breakdown beyond repair (which I intend to to save all my efforts) ; can I attach the SSD USB plug to the USB port of another AIO Dell PC Inspiron 20" model 3043 in my room and play the music from it ?

Thank you.

Yes you can. The SSD/USB functions like a portable hard disk. Can plug to another PC and use.

Now, I want to share a bad experience with portable SSD drive. I used a Samsung SSD for “archive”, and it was “offline” for about 9 months. When I reconnected the SSD drive, it was totally corrupted, all my data was lost. From that bad experience, I never trust SSD for archiving/backup, I only use HDD.

I don’t know what caused the total data loss. Does SSD need to powered up occasionally to maintain memory charge? Until today, I don’t know what went wrong.

And guess what, that corrupted SSD was reformatted, reused as a boot drive in a frequently used PC, and it is working fine until today, 3 years on!!!

My recommendation is not to use SSD for backup/archive. Use a HDD instead. I don’t trust SSD for offline backup…

7 hours ago, Boxerfan88 said:

Yes you can. The SSD/USB functions like a portable hard disk. Can plug to another PC and use.

So besides having it as a backup starage I can still make use if it to play music from at other PC with a USB port,.

Thank you very much Bro.

8 hours ago, petetherock said:

You don't need your PC to be on LAN, so long as both PC and Na11 end up on the same network. The NA 11 needs LAN to join your local network, which your PC should be on if it has wifi.

Then you can use Airplay. 

And when it dies, you can consider a basic Mac especially if you aren't a pro user. Macs aren't expensive and are easy to use. They perform well for music too.

If you have an external HD with your music, it can be read by another machine, but you need a player, eg Itunes or other interface. Then tell the interface software that you wish to read off an external library, eg your hard disc.

While I sincerely appreciate the extension of choices, I need to decipher this info like where to look for Airplay for instance.

In the Internet and Network worlds, one has to accept that "dinosaurs" still exist and it is a real phenomena. I am no exclusion to this category in all frankness. I need to take time to digest .

Thanks Bro. 

The 5 CDs which I repped automatically went to a file  in the HDD known as C://CHINA/Music.

How the word CHINA appeared I do not know.

Any advise how do I create a File in the C drive and direct the RIPPING to be saved ther?

6 hours ago, titactoh said:

The 5 CDs which I repped automatically went to a file  in the HDD known as C://CHINA/Music.

How the word CHINA appeared I do not know.

Any advise how do I create a File in the C drive and direct the RIPPING to be saved ther?

You ripped 5 CDs.  You should have 5 folders; each folder would have as many song files.   Is that right?

(Audio)

That explains it! Most likely you used the default location. I guess your username is "china", therefore it stored in the default music store for this user -> C:\users\china\Music\

I am not familiar with dbpoweramp, maybe someone here can guide you to move it to your data D:\ drive.

Edited by Boxerfan88

I just ripped 2 CDs by Cai Qin under same Title LAO GE

The first one is by Sanyo japan and the tracks run from 1 to 10.

The 2nd Cd is also UFO Gold but by Warner Bros. serial 9031-77926-9 and the track runs from 11 to 20.

Both are arranged by track name but track number of 2nd Cd is just after the 11st CD but is a 2 digit.

Eg 1, 11, 2, 12, 3, 13 etc.

Is there any way for me to separate the 2 CD so that when scrolling to choose a song I will ba able to know which CD it is from.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Boxerfan88 said:

Post your "This PC" picture (example below) so that we know where your data drive is...

pix3b.jpg

Will try to look for it.

Ok found it. Here is the image. Let me know if it is not Clear or Incomplete.

20210513_191250[1].jpg

10 minutes ago, petetherock said:

I would suggest you try ripping the same two discs with iTunes. Very little effort and the organization of files, retrieval and copying onto a usb is ideal for seniors who want minimal hassle. 

I would certainly like to look into this programme but after I learn the current programme. Thanks for the suggestion. What I have is time.

3 hours ago, titactoh said:

I just ripped 2 CDs by Cai Qin under same Title LAO GE

The first one is by Sanyo japan and the tracks run from 1 to 10.

The 2nd Cd is also UFO Gold but by Warner Bros. serial 9031-77926-9 and the track runs from 11 to 20.

Both are arranged by track name but track number of 2nd Cd is just after the 11st CD but is a 2 digit.

Eg 1, 11, 2, 12, 3, 13 etc.

Is there any way for me to separate the 2 CD so that when scrolling to choose a song I will ba able to know which CD it is from.

Thank you.

Will try to look for it.

Tag your First CD Album Name as "LAO GE (Sanyo)"

Tag your second CD Album Name as "LAO GE (UFO)

I took my time to do it all in Chinese characters.

(Audio)

IMG_8706.JPEG

Edited by Audio

8 minutes ago, Audio said:

Tag your First CD Album Name as "LAO GE (Sanyo)"

Tag your second CD Album Name as "LAO GE (UFO)

I took my time to do it all in Chinese characters.

(Audio)

IMG_8706.JPEG

So I go to the Album Column to differentiate the 1st and 2nd CDs by manually tagging under different names and thereafter do I close the page or is there a SAVE button?