Transferring my music CDs to a WD harddrive for playing through my Marantz NA11s1 Dac USB port.

Can anyone advice how I can transfer my  CDs  to an External Hardrive like a WD ((Western Digital ) 2 TB  to be able to play through its USB connection to play through my Marantz NA11s1 DAC.

Right now the Internet radio feature is no more audible and I only make use of it to play CD from a CD transport through the DAC.

Is there a device to do the transfer in the fastest way.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is no "fast" way.  You got to do it with discipline and  consistency.   I use dbpoweramp for CD ripping and mp3tag for tagging.  I will advise people to use AIFF format for your rippin

Everyone,   Take my advice.  Use AIFF instead of FLAC.  For SACD and DSD files, use DSF.  Use WAV for extraction from DVD-Audio and Blu-Ray Audio   Today I am still regretting usin

A very BIG THANK YOU to Bro. AUDIO for your generosity of Time and Effort in detailing the requirements for Ripping Cds and the Ripping Process.   Really appreciate. I have ripped about 50 C

Posted Images

There is no "fast" way.  You got to do it with discipline and  consistency.

I use dbpoweramp for CD ripping and mp3tag for tagging.  I will advise people to use AIFF format for your ripping.   Avoid Apple Lossless (ALAC) and FLAC.  AIFF sounded superior and to this day I am still re-ripping some of my media to AIFF.

I have been doing the ripping off my CD library for over a decade and I am still doing it a few disc at a time.

(Audio)

1 hour ago, Audio said:

I use dbpoweramp for CD ripping and mp3tag for tagging.  I will advise people to use AIFF format for your ripping.   Avoid Apple Lossless (ALAC) and FLAC.  AIFF sounded superior and to this day I am still re-ripping some of my media to AIFF.

I have been doing the ripping off my CD library for over a decade and I am still doing it a few disc at a time.

(Audio)

Is this device dbpoweramp for CD ripping costly.  What shops sell this.

I have something like 500 Cds .

I am not a young man so like to know iif

(1)   the ripping is a simple process or do I need to do any adjustment for each CD or just putiing in the tray and key in a button to rip

(2) do I key in name of Album and categorise it according to genre

(3) any other supporting devices required to assist dbpoweramp apart from a WD HardDisk to store the music/songs

(4) what WD HardDisk would be suitable

(5) what USB type for dual function plugging in to Charge and also be able to Play,

For my Zenn 300 8gb which I have about 1300 songs/music somehow Creative software ( no more supported) was able to arraning nem according to Tiles and Songs and selection was just colling down on the MP3. Have owned it for over 15 years I think and still going strong. Only play the songs from the MP3 play.

I am using a Dell  (touchScreen)  AIO Inspirion 3000 series (Wireless) and it has 1 HDMI

I hardly use a 2yr old  Lenovo AIO 520

These are 2 AIO pcs

Thank you.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, titactoh said:

I too am using Marantz NA-11S1 as DAC. I ripped most of my CD collection to a 2TB WD external harddrive via laptop using JRiver WAV format.  I'm a noob with IT stuff. My friend taught me how to rip and with practice it's not difficult at all. 

Edited by Goldberg
5 hours ago, titactoh said:

(1)   the ripping is a simple process or do I need to do any adjustment for each CD or just putiing in the tray and key in a button to rip

(3) any other supporting devices required to assist dbpoweramp apart from a WD HardDisk to store the music/songs

(5) what USB type for dual function plugging in to Charge and also be able to Play,

For my Zenn 300 8gb which I have about 1300 songs/music somehow Creative software ( no more supported) was able to arraning nem according to Tiles and Songs and selection was just colling down on the MP3. Have owned it for over 15 years I think and still going strong. Only play the songs from the MP3 play.

I am using a Dell  (touchScreen)  AIO Inspirion 3000 series (Wireless) and it has 1 HDMI

These are 2 AIO pcs

Thank you.

Dbpoweramp is a CD ripping software meant to be installed onto your PC with the CD drive.  You buy by going to the link below, pay with your credit card and download the software to be installed.

https://www.dbpoweramp.com/

(1) Yes, the ripping is a simple process.  Of course, you need to install the software and configure it for your use.  It will detect your CD drive to calibrate the offset.  You should set it up for the format of the file (I recommend AIFF).  You put in CD, it will detect the CD and try to match it with the database.,  If it is found, it will populate the fields.  It also have Accuraterip which compares your ripping process with other dbpoweramp users to ensure you that your ripping for that particular CD is done accurately. 

(2)  As long as it is a popular CD, it will be found in the database and the album name, artists and track tiles will be populated.  If it is an unknown album, like a Chinese album (though it also recognize many Chinese CD).  In the case where it cannot match anything in the database, you can continue to rip the CD and then use mp3tag to search for the tagging data.   Worst case scenario, you do a album search on the internet and then manual insert the data one by one using mp3tag.

(3) If your PC do not have a CD /DVD/ Blu Ray drive, you need one to be connected to the USB port of your PC. 

(4) Yes, any storage device will work, harddisk inside your PC, external USB Hard Disk, SSD, any brand will do.  

(5) Cannot understand your question. What do you mean by a USB hard disk plugging in to charge?  As I understand it, a USB hard disk take the power from the USB plug.  It remains power up as long as your PC is powered.

Forget about the Zenn player.  The mp3 format is inferior and you will be happy with AIFF, even FLAC or Apple Lossless but I recommend AIFF.  But if you MUST, then dbpoweramp comes with a file convertor that can convert mp3 files into whatever format you like.  Converting is the easy part, tagging your old files will be a huge and tedious problem as you cannot use any database to match.   Everything will be manual.

(Audio)

I think TS wants to rip his CD into USB portable disk, connect the portable disk via USB to the NA11s1, and play them by selecting the tracks from from the NA11s1.

The other way to use the NA11s1  as an USB DAC is to connect it via USB to a PC/Mac, but play the tracks from the PC/Mac instead.

Obviously we are expecting a richer playback experience and we assume TS would playback from his PC.

Without a graphic interface on the Marantz NA11, why would we take the pain of properly tagging the media with the album cover?

titactoh, please run Jriver or Roon from your PC to play the content.  If you don't want to face the PC, you can run a iPad or your mobile phone to control the playback with these 2 streaming software.

(Audio)

On 5/2/2021 at 2:41 PM, Audio said:

(Audio)

These are 2 AIO pcs

Thank you.

I want to rip CD into USB portable disk, connect the portable disk via USB to the NA11s1, and play them by selecting the tracks from from the NA11s1. 

with its Remote control. Can this be done>

The PC is in another room.

I dont own a IPAD.

Using HP will drain its battery and it gets hot. Its a Samsung S10e.

AUDIO said       "(5) Cannot understand your question. What do you mean by a USB hard disk plugging in to charge?  As I understand it, a USB hard disk take the power from the USB plug.  It remains power up as long as your PC is powered."

Last time I was able to plug my MP3 with its dedicated USB plug into the front USB port of the Marantz Dac It played with no problem. Some time later when I plugged

in the DAC power off. There was no power and I had to bring to Agent to repair and the Power/Transformer was changed.

I just tried and after selecting USB and plugged in the MP3 it ;loaded and display showed in Chinese characters Popular songs while it was Susan Wong A Night At the Movies . The MP3 kept charging but didnt play. So wonder if it will be the same problem with I connect a SSD device with music through this USB.

That was why I asked if a USB cable needed to be DATA  or just for charging?

BTW no intention to rip to MP3 to clear confusion.

I am also using NA11S1.  If I remember correctly, you cannot connect an external HDD directly to the NA11S1.  You can only use thumb drive in the USB port in front of NA11S1.   So a easier way is to get a big capacity thumb drive and copy your music to the thumb drive after ripping.

2 hours ago, annapurna said:

I am also using NA11S1.  If I remember correctly, you cannot connect an external HDD directly to the NA11S1.  You can only use thumb drive in the USB port in front of NA11S1.   So a easier way is to get a big capacity thumb drive and copy your music to the thumb drive after ripping.

Thank you very much.  You have cleared my false assumption. Now  one obstacle is removed. So what I need is use  a SOFTWARE   to rip  nmy CDs.  Can I rip directly to my Thumbdrive or do I ripm to my PC and then Transfer to my Thumbdrive

What would be a suitable Thumb Drive. I have a SANDISK Ulta USB3.0 32gb bought frrom one of the  Computer shows in Suntec. I use it for saving files. It always get extremely hot after a few hours. Dont understand why .

My other old and cheap Thumbdrive like SANDISK Crizer 8gb dont get hot at all.

What capacity Thumbdrive is suffificent to hold 5000 songs ?