Floorstanding speakers vs bookshelf speakers

For bookshelves, typically the low end extension is limited.

I used to like bookshelves for the smaller size and weight.

I was influenced to switch to floorstanders when I was given a fresh perspective - consider the footprint it sits on - they are about the same - therefore just go with floorstanders. No need to bother about speaker stands, plus get the benefit of bass extension.

One tip with floorstanders - try to get those that are sealed, or with bass reflex port firing to the front. ?

Edited by Boxerfan88
  • Like 2

When comparing this, one impt factor that cannot be de-linked is to consider the room size too, which also relates to the space around the speaker for it to sound well and optimised.

Esp in SG context where room sizes are smaller. Sometimes, bigger may not be better. 

And also factor 2 that cannot be de-linked, what amplification u are intending to give it. Having bigger floorstanders without sufficient amplification could sound worse than a well amplified bookshelf speaker with the same amp

Edited by kopidilo
  • Like 1

Without the low extension, you will always be missing something. However low bass is very hard to manage without EQ. If you perform EQ to floorstanding, it will affect the mid and treble.

Hence I think a bookshelf + a sub + antimode is a good combination. Sub has better bass than floorstanding and can do EQ with antimode without affecting the amp and bookshelf. However integration of the speakers and sub is not easy. But it is worth the effort for a good low extension. The whole soundstage will be very different. 

• Like 1

Guest francishuang

If the music u listen to often requires deeper extensions. You probably will be enjoying more with floor standers. U can consider sealed speakers like YG, magico etc. If ur mainly on vocals and such, bookshelves generally works better. Lesser drivers, lesser timing and coherency issues.  

Go with bookshelves if space is a major constraint. I.e listening distance is max 2m and/or the room is under 10 sqm in area.  You have higher chance to place the speakers better and get imaging, stage, tonality and even frequency response. Floor-standers at short distances will struggle to get the tweeter at ear-level and sound coherent. Worse case is there will be a bass hump that overpowers the room.

If you do decide on floorstander in a small room, be prepared to spend time and money to treat the room extensively with absorbers.

The foot print is the same if you are placing on the floor (unless your bookshelves are on the TV console or shelf).

I have reasonably large floor standers in a small room - only 2.2m from speaker to listening position and the sound is excellent for me.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dbchoong said:

The foot print is the same if you are placing on the floor (unless your bookshelves are on the TV console or shelf).

I have reasonably large floor standers in a small room - only 2.2m from speaker to listening position and the sound is excellent for me.

How loud do you play, and are you able to get 3D imaging with soundstage ?

20 hours ago, dbchoong said:

I am curious what is your speaker given the size of the room that can sound excellent. Book shelve speaker is best and can add sub if you are bass head and add bass absorber n etc.

On 4/21/2021 at 9:48 PM, francishuang said:

If the music u listen to often requires deeper extensions. You probably will be enjoying more with floor standers. U can consider sealed speakers like YG, magico etc. If ur mainly on vocals and such, bookshelves generally works better. Lesser drivers, lesser timing and coherency issues.  

I think floor standers are more preferable for me. What do you think about Pioneer floorstanding speakers? I heard that they are rather cheap and that they sound as good as or better than speakers 2 to 3 times their cost.  

if u dont mind trying out 2nd hand speaker's, there's a pair of Mission 773 floorstand speakers for sale in the link attached below...

On 4/23/2021 at 12:00 PM, DavidJo23 said:

I think floor standers are more preferable for me. What do you think about Pioneer floorstanding speakers? I heard that they are rather cheap and that they sound as good as or better than speakers 2 to 3 times their cost.  

It's very hard to advise with not much info of your listening area/ usage/ gear.

So it will be useful that you provide more details so that members can help u better:

1) whats your room size as well as your listening area size

2) whats the usage %? Eg movies 80%, music 10%, gaming 10%

3) your budget

4) the amp and/or avr u are using to drive the speakers 

Edited by kopidilo

Guest francishuang
7 hours ago, DavidJo23 said:

Have not heard them before so I can't really comment.  Maybe you can also look at KEF Q series.  Can visit Atlas

Edited by francishuang

Guest wcseow
8 hours ago, DavidJo23 said:

Lol..if you prefer floorstanders, stick to it

Whenever I switch to bookshelf speakers, I will eventually switched back to floor standing speakers  after a few months.....LOL

I would recommend Polk speakers. I have the Signature S60, and I think they are very good for the price. 

There's the S50, S55 and S60 floorstanders in the mid-budget range. 

Of course, there are many other good brands/models - but I like the Polk sound.