Floorstanding speakers vs bookshelf speakers

Can a good bookshelf speaker compete with a floorstanding speaker even though it has less drivers and less internal cabinet volume?
What are the usual advantages / disadvantages of each type?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For bookshelves, typically the low end extension is limited.   I used to like bookshelves for the smaller size and weight.   I was influenced to switch to floorstanders when I was

When comparing this, one impt factor that cannot be de-linked is to consider the room size too, which also relates to the space around the speaker for it to sound well and optimised.   Esp i

Without the low extension, you will always be missing something. However low bass is very hard to manage without EQ. If you perform EQ to floorstanding, it will affect the mid and treble. Hence I

For bookshelves, typically the low end extension is limited.

I used to like bookshelves for the smaller size and weight.

I was influenced to switch to floorstanders when I was given a fresh perspective - consider the footprint it sits on - they are about the same - therefore just go with floorstanders. No need to bother about speaker stands, plus get the benefit of bass extension.

One tip with floorstanders - try to get those that are sealed, or with bass reflex port firing to the front. ?

Edited by Boxerfan88

When comparing this, one impt factor that cannot be de-linked is to consider the room size too, which also relates to the space around the speaker for it to sound well and optimised.

Esp in SG context where room sizes are smaller. Sometimes, bigger may not be better. 

And also factor 2 that cannot be de-linked, what amplification u are intending to give it. Having bigger floorstanders without sufficient amplification could sound worse than a well amplified bookshelf speaker with the same amp

Edited by kopidilo

^^^^^^^^

3 replies and you got most probably all the answers you need.

?

i was in similar dilemma awhile ago. 

Edited by zephyr11

Without the low extension, you will always be missing something. However low bass is very hard to manage without EQ. If you perform EQ to floorstanding, it will affect the mid and treble.

Hence I think a bookshelf + a sub + antimode is a good combination. Sub has better bass than floorstanding and can do EQ with antimode without affecting the amp and bookshelf. However integration of the speakers and sub is not easy. But it is worth the effort for a good low extension. The whole soundstage will be very different. 

If the music u listen to often requires deeper extensions. You probably will be enjoying more with floor standers. U can consider sealed speakers like YG, magico etc. If ur mainly on vocals and such, bookshelves generally works better. Lesser drivers, lesser timing and coherency issues.  

Go with bookshelves if space is a major constraint. I.e listening distance is max 2m and/or the room is under 10 sqm in area.  You have higher chance to place the speakers better and get imaging, stage, tonality and even frequency response. Floor-standers at short distances will struggle to get the tweeter at ear-level and sound coherent. Worse case is there will be a bass hump that overpowers the room.

If you do decide on floorstander in a small room, be prepared to spend time and money to treat the room extensively with absorbers.

The foot print is the same if you are placing on the floor (unless your bookshelves are on the TV console or shelf).

I have reasonably large floor standers in a small room - only 2.2m from speaker to listening position and the sound is excellent for me.

I have listened to bookshelf speakers at Shows where others thought the BIG floor-standers speakers were playing....?

20 hours ago, dbchoong said:

The foot print is the same if you are placing on the floor (unless your bookshelves are on the TV console or shelf).

I have reasonably large floor standers in a small room - only 2.2m from speaker to listening position and the sound is excellent for me.

How loud do you play, and are you able to get 3D imaging with soundstage ?

20 hours ago, dbchoong said:

I am curious what is your speaker given the size of the room that can sound excellent. Book shelve speaker is best and can add sub if you are bass head and add bass absorber n etc.