Gryphon or Mcintosh integrated amp for Franco Serblin Accordo?

Hello everyone,

Been out of this hobby for a while but recently started looking at changing things up due to relocation to a bigger listening space. 

Long story short, I've been using my Devialet Expert monoblocs to power my Accordo. Love the simplicity of the setup and sound actually.

However, I am considering an analogue setup for my turntable. I can't shake the feeling that I might be missing something powering my TT with the Devialet phono amp (analog to digital signal).

Hence, I'm currently looking at pairing a Gryphon or Mcintosh integrated amp with my Franco Serblin. The turntable is a TW Acustic Raven. Would love to hear your opinions and experiences with either amp or even a similar pairing. My musical genre is broad but mostly centered around jazz, pop and rock.

Many thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing your valuable inputs! 

Shaun

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The fast, dry, quiet Devialet sound is already a good match for the Accordos.  It gets even better once SAM is introduced for your speakers. If you like the sound with good digital sources, then you a

Vitus or Goldmund may be better match boss. The accordo is the old SF kind of sound. A faster or more resolving amp may suit it better. 

The fast, dry, quiet Devialet sound is already a good match for the Accordos.  It gets even better once SAM is introduced for your speakers. If you like the sound with good digital sources, then you are already on the right track.

However, the Devialet digitises the analog signal from a TT. IMHO, the phono input of the Devialet is its Achilles heel. Connect a good external phono stage (with right gain and impedence loading set), then feed the output direct into the Devialet line level inputs and see if the sound improves significantly.

If your budget allows for a very good phono above $10k, you may be able to get a home demo. Alternatively, bring your Devialet to the few good analog shops. Have them run their phono to your Devialets.  For an A/B compare of the phono quality of their external phono vs Devialet internal. The good news is that if you bring your Devialet to Adelphi, there are 5 good analog shops, each with a range of phonos, within a few metres of each other.  You can do multiple A/B in an afternoon.    

I will add Passlabs in the list as I have heard the Accordo in the local dealer showroom driven effectively by a pair of Pass monos.    I do agree with blue starfish that a good external phono amp  will improve the sound with any of the amps indicated.  

On 4/7/2021 at 8:09 PM, francishuang said:

Vitus or Goldmund may be better match boss. The accordo is the old SF kind of sound. A faster or more resolving amp may suit it better. 

Hmm I haven't considered goldmund previously due to the price point. But maybe it's time to drop by HER to see what's available. Thanks for the recommendation!

On 4/8/2021 at 11:08 AM, blue_starfish said:

The fast, dry, quiet Devialet sound is already a good match for the Accordos.  It gets even better once SAM is introduced for your speakers. If you like the sound with good digital sources, then you are already on the right track.

However, the Devialet digitises the analog signal from a TT. IMHO, the phono input of the Devialet is its Achilles heel. Connect a good external phono stage (with right gain and impedence loading set), then feed the output direct into the Devialet line level inputs and see if the sound improves significantly.

If your budget allows for a very good phono above $10k, you may be able to get a home demo. Alternatively, bring your Devialet to the few good analog shops. Have them run their phono to your Devialets.  For an A/B compare of the phono quality of their external phono vs Devialet internal. The good news is that if you bring your Devialet to Adelphi, there are 5 good analog shops, each with a range of phonos, within a few metres of each other.  You can do multiple A/B in an afternoon.    

My priority is to keep the system simple and musical so I'd try to go for a setup without an external phono amp as much as I can (really don't like having additional power cables n interconnects running all over). Not entirely closed to the idea but gonna keep this option as a last resort.

So far I've heard the grpyphon diablo, McIntosh integrated, Audionote OTO and Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum. To be honest, the Gryphon was quite good but the Audionote and Cronus Magnum actually left quite a deep impression, possibly since this is my first time really considering a tube integrated amp. So now I'm also looking at tube integrated amps that have enough power to drive the Accordo

23 hours ago, annapurna said:

I will add Passlabs in the list as I have heard the Accordo in the local dealer showroom driven effectively by a pair of Pass monos.    I do agree with blue starfish that a good external phono amp  will improve the sound with any of the amps indicated.  

Thanks! Will look at passlabs too. It's been a while since I heard their products

14 minutes ago, skywalker said:

My priority is to keep the system simple and musical so I'd try to go for a setup without an external phono amp as much as I can (really don't like having additional power cables n interconnects running all over). Not entirely closed to the idea but gonna keep this option as a last resort.

So far I've heard the grpyphon diablo, McIntosh integrated, Audionote OTO and Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum. To be honest, the Gryphon was quite good but the Audionote and Cronus Magnum actually left quite a deep impression, possibly since this is my first time really considering a tube integrated amp. So now I'm also looking at tube integrated amps that have enough power to drive the Accordo

Thanks! Will look at passlabs too. It's been a while since I heard their products

As you know Franco tune this pair of speaker using low powered tube amp when he voiced accordo and i am sure there are reasons behind it. Of course i am sure there will be argument that  the more power you feed the speaker the better it sound. That last time i went to HER, they are driven by huge Passlab and it actually sound quite bad IMO.

The best Accordo i heard so far was a hongkong friend who drive it with Conincident Dragon MKII with Esoteric source, i was very surprise how good this pair of speaker can sound. Sometimes less is more.

1 hour ago, skywalker said:

Do note that both the Rogue and Audio Note built-in phono are meant for MM cartridges. If one day you do decide to go into low-output MC cartridge, you will need to add either a step-up transformer, or phono stage. This means another box and another pair of cables. In the case of phono, another power cord too.