Building a Home Theater Setup

I'm picking up this hobby again after a long time. Since then, technologies has changed and i am relearning. 

I am thinking of building a system from scratch. I do not consider myself as a continuously upgrader (at least for now) so i am thinking buying something above basic system (above avg system) so that it can last me longer.

Below are my information:

- Give Us a Budget! Who can tell what you want to spend

$5K range for a 5.1 speakers + AVR. (assuming this budget is realistic)

- music preferences - just for games (some simple boom box from Logitech or Creative might suffice) / a full Home theatre system / Stereo listening pleasure / headphones

Mainly Music and Movies (5.1)

- Plus the ratio of the above

70% movies and 30% music. 

- what is the room size??

A typical HDB living room, about 3.5m by 4m 

I have only tested the following: 

1. KEF T305 + NAD T 758 v3 and 
  2. Klipsch RP-5000F + Denon 

Thanks in advance

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if your living near pasir ris, u can come to preview my ht setup...

nothing to shout about, but i am the friendly east side man. can ask bro EconAv if i am lying.. hehehehe!!!

always openhouse for anyone, located in pasir ris st 21. 

6 hours ago, dbchoong said:

Only aiming for 5.1? Not interested in Atmos? 5.1.2 or 5.1.4... 

Have any difficulty with installing speakers & cables if speakers on top?

with this budget, i think just nice for 5.1. 5.1.x, yeah, have to overcome the installation overhead.  

6 hours ago, CASH1624705743 said:

if your living near pasir ris, u can come to preview my ht setup...

nothing to shout about, but i am the friendly east side man. can ask bro EconAv if i am lying.. hehehehe!!!

always openhouse for anyone, located in pasir ris st 21. 

Thank you for your kind hospitality. I will remember your offer when in need. Appreciate.

dont be scared ah.... even u have a chronic cough, i still let u enjoy the show.. not like "Someone i heard years back, a little cough also so "SCARED" hahahahaha!!

Edited by CASH

$5K wouldn't go very far if you want to buy everything with it.  Very high chance that you will need to upgrade everything again, very soon.

Realistically, you should buy your AVR + Stereo Floorstander speakers with your $5K.  Make sure you buy a AVR with 9, 11 or 13 channels capability.

Once you establish the stereo channels, then you should add the 3 other channels progressively.  These can be cheap speakers for surrounds, paying particular attention to the Centre speaker which should be a good speaker for your movie dialogue.   Then add a subwoofer.

Then you add in 4 height speakers.   A good 5.1.4 would be a very immersive home theatre.

(Audio)

12 hours ago, CASH1624705743 said:

dont be scared ah.... even u have a chronic cough, i still let u enjoy the show.. not like "Someone i heard years back, a little cough also so "SCARED" hahahahaha!!

??

Edited by RConago

12 hours ago, Audio said:

$5K wouldn't go very far if you want to buy everything with it.  Very high chance that you will need to upgrade everything again, very soon.

Realistically, you should buy your AVR + Stereo Floorstander speakers with your $5K.  Make sure you buy a AVR with 9, 11 or 13 channels capability.

Once you establish the stereo channels, then you should add the 3 other channels progressively.  These can be cheap speakers for surrounds, paying particular attention to the Centre speaker which should be a good speaker for your movie dialogue.   Then add a subwoofer.

Then you add in 4 height speakers.   A good 5.1.4 would be a very immersive home theatre.

(Audio)

Thanks for the heads up, i think advice like this help me to avoid major mistakes, appreciate your advice. 

Actually, $5k - I think can get something decent.

If you go with SVS Prime bookshelf 5.1 - that's only like $2.9k (or maybe less).

Or Elac 7.1 for about $3k

Denon X3700 about $1.5k.

You can search online sites Lazada for these prices. If you go to the shop, maybe can get better prices. ? 

Good luck.

Guest jonlee

Borrowing this thread, what would be a good speaker cable that can be bought in large length locally for surround sound wiring? Current house using belden, but would like to try others.  Any canare model recommendation?

On 3/26/2021 at 1:39 PM, RConago said:

I'm picking up this hobby again after a long time. Since then, technologies has changed and i am relearning. 

I am thinking of building a system from scratch. I do not consider myself as a continuously upgrader (at least for now) so i am thinking buying something above basic system (above avg system) so that it can last me longer.

Below are my information:

- Give Us a Budget! Who can tell what you want to spend

$5K range for a 5.1 speakers + AVR. (assuming this budget is realistic)

- music preferences - just for games (some simple boom box from Logitech or Creative might suffice) / a full Home theatre system / Stereo listening pleasure / headphones

Mainly Music and Movies (5.1)

- Plus the ratio of the above

70% movies and 30% music. 

- what is the room size??

A typical HDB living room, about 3.5m by 4m 

I have only tested the following: 

1. KEF T305 + NAD T 758 v3 and 
  2. Klipsch RP-5000F + Denon 

Thanks in advance

are u open to consider used sets? Or must it be die die new

6 hours ago, jonlee said:

For thread starter, I will suggest this approach.

Get the denon 3700 + SVS SB2000 combi at $2650.  Then with balance budget of $2200 (leave about $150 for speaker cable), look for 5 speakers that u like.

https://s.lazada.sg/s.Ze4Wt

Hi JonLee

Thanks for your advice, i think it is great, i will also test it out.

Supposed i bought the AVR as recommended, for hunting for the rest of 5 speakers, normally how does one test it in the shop assuming he doesn't have the denon 3700?

Come to worse, is it common that the potential buyer bring along the AVR when auditioning the speaker at the demo?

Thanks in advance 

Guest jonlee
1 hour ago, RConago said:

Hi JonLee

Thanks for your advice, i think it is great, i will also test it out.

Supposed i bought the AVR as recommended, for hunting for the rest of 5 speakers, normally how does one test it in the shop assuming he doesn't have the denon 3700?

Come to worse, is it common that the potential buyer bring along the AVR when auditioning the speaker at the demo?

Thanks in advance 

$2000+ for 5 speakers will not get u very demanding speakers.  Just make sure other shops also use a receiver of similar rage (price around $1.5k) during the demo will do.  

The SVS sub is from KEC.  While u are there to audition the sub, request them to set up a 5.1  system within your budget so that u have a baseline benchmark before going to other shops to audition other speaker setup.  

22 hours ago, RConago said:

Hi

I am open to used set

Great. Then the possibilities & potential to build a much higher quality sounding system with 5k is immense! 

For the same monies, u will have system that is at least 2 times the quality compared to getting new gear with the $5k. Plus, say in future, if u get the upgrade itch, u can sell this gear at almost zero loss. 

But placement & calibration is the key. A well placed & calibrated 5k system can sound much better than a system 3-5 times the price that is not setup properly. 

My prelim suggestion (all used gear) :

Avr - Get a decent used denon avr. Specs depend on my qn 3 below. $1.5k

Subs - this is key. Dual 10" or dual 12" subs. Plus get a dsp like antimode or minidsp 2x4hd to help u in the bass calibration. $1.5k-2k

Speakers - LCR. This is key. Make sure your LCR are same brand/model. Get something easy to drive as your avr won't be that powerful given your budget. I would fully avoid floorstanders due your small room (floordstanders need space to perform) , your budget (u cant get a avr that is very powerful) & low usage for music. Wide dispersion will be great for movies. Like kef coax speakers. $1-1.5k

Speakers - surround + atmos. Dont need to spend too much on this, so that more money can go to the LCR. $100-200 per speaker. 

Questions:

1) Your indicated room size - 3.5m x 4m, is this the total size of your living room or just the listening area? Can u state size for your listening area and also living room as a whole? Possible to show photos and floorplan so that we can help u better? 

2) what display are u using? Is it hdr/dv capable? (this will affect the cost of your cables and avr specs) 

3) can u confirm if u will have atmos? Because this will affect your entire budget allocation. If u dont plan to have atmos in future at all, you can save monies for avr and atmos speakers, n these can be channeled to other areas. A well calibrated 5.2 system with front heights speakers can sound very good . 

Edited by kopidilo
  • Like 1

Guest jonlee

I will recommend getting a new AVR and sub, but getting used speakers.

New AVR for the latest technologies, new sub as good sub not many available on the used market.

Value for money HT:

- Elac speakers (new) More options if you go for 2nd hand speakers based on your budget 
- Denon amp
- SVS subwoofer (12 inch) Most noticeable improvement for a subwoofer that can go low to 20Hz 

- Anti mode (optional) Will be good to tame a big subwoofer.
- Cables (no need too expensive) Not that cables are not important, but can better use the budget to get better equipment for better performance. 
- Power filter (optional) HDB electricity is a little noisy.

Edited by lchua6

1 hour ago, lchua6 said:

Value for money HT:

- Elac speakers (new) More options if you go for 2nd hand speakers based on your budget 
- Denon amp
- SVS subwoofer (12 inch) Most noticeable improvement for a subwoofer that can go low to 20Hz 

- Anti mode (optional) Will be good to tame a big subwoofer.
- Cables (no need too expensive) Not that cables are not important, but can better use the budget to get better equipment for better performance. 
- Power filter (optional) HDB electricity is a little noisy.

Thank You, you have some great suggestion on the Anti Mode and power filter. I am reading up on these items now.

13 hours ago, kopidilo said:

Great. Then the possibilities & potential to build a much higher quality sounding system with 5k is immense! 

For the same monies, u will have system that is at least 2 times the quality compared to getting new gear with the $5k. Plus, say in future, if u get the upgrade itch, u can sell this gear at almost zero loss. 

But placement & calibration is the key. A well placed & calibrated 5k system can sound much better than a system 3-5 times the price that is not setup properly. 

My prelim suggestion (all used gear) :

Avr - Get a decent used denon avr. Specs depend on my qn 3 below. $1.5k

Subs - this is key. Dual 10" or dual 12" subs. Plus get a dsp like antimode or minidsp 2x4hd to help u in the bass calibration. $1.5k-2k

Speakers - LCR. This is key. Make sure your LCR are same brand/model. Get something easy to drive as your avr won't be that powerful given your budget. I would fully avoid floorstanders due your small room (floordstanders need space to perform) , your budget (u cant get a avr that is very powerful) & low usage for music. Wide dispersion will be great for movies. Like kef coax speakers. $1-1.5k

Speakers - surround + atmos. Dont need to spend too much on this, so that more money can go to the LCR. $100-200 per speaker. 

Questions:

1) Your indicated room size - 3.5m x 4m, is this the total size of your living room or just the listening area? Can u state size for your listening area and also living room as a whole? Possible to show photos and floorplan so that we can help u better? 

2) what display are u using? Is it hdr/dv capable? (this will affect the cost of your cables and avr specs) 

3) can u confirm if u will have atmos? Because this will affect your entire budget allocation. If u dont plan to have atmos in future at all, you can save monies for avr and atmos speakers, n these can be channeled to other areas. A well calibrated 5.2 system with front heights speakers can sound very good . 

Hi Kopidilo,

Thanks for the suggestion, my answer to your questions as below:

1) 3.5m x 4m is listening area, total area is about 6m by 4m. distance from seat to TV is not more than 2.3m (assuming not flushing all the way to the wall)

2) Due to my existing TV is rather old, i am planning a separate budget for the TV, this means that i also have to source for a TV ultimately (i am not sure the small place can accept a 80" but i feel probably too stretch. Then i have to settle for 65"). 

3) I understand Atmos makes a difference in the experience, as commended by some here, but i have to deal with the installation and exposed rewiring.

3 hours ago, RConago said:

1) 3.5m x 4m is listening area, total area is about 6m by 4m. distance from seat to TV is not more than 2.3m (assuming not flushing all the way to the wall)

2) Due to my existing TV is rather old, i am planning a separate budget for the TV, this means that i also have to source for a TV ultimately (i am not sure the small place can accept a 80" but i feel probably too stretch. Then i have to settle for 65"). 

Your room is 4 X 6 M.  You want to use a 65" TV??????????????

Please reconsider, a lot of bro I visited don't even come close to the size of the room you got.

My room is smaller than yours and I already got a 120" screen.  Go figure.

(Audio)

Edited by Audio

I am setting up similar room size as you. 6mx4.5m (l x w) 

For the main screen i am still considering, but most likely will be using minimum 120"

Still considering to have a second screen that will use 65/75 inch tv. Still playing arounf how i can hide it when not in use. 

I got several pairs of used speakers before. If you are not in a hurry, i am sure you can get a good deal. Agreed with all the brothers here, main front speakers and center will be the most important. 

Cable can start with canare/klotz/mogami

16 hours ago, RConago said:

Hi Kopidilo,

Thanks for the suggestion, my answer to your questions as below:

3) I understand Atmos makes a difference in the experience, as commended by some here, but i have to deal with the installation and exposed rewiring.

I see. Your living room  & listening area size is almost same as mine. ?Understand your challenges fully. With this room size, u need at least 2x 12" subs to sufficiently fill your room with bass and not sound thin. Don't compromise on this.

There was someone selling dual REL identical  subs in the used section. Grab them. 

I would set aside some money to add bass shakers to give u the low rumble tactile as your 12" subs cant give u that. 

1) With your room depth, I'd avoid big floorstanders (esp rear ported) for fronts as most likely there isn't enuf depth to position it away from wall to breathe and perform well. Get a front ported (so that less distance from front wall is required & u can maximise your speaker to mlp distance for better sound dispersion); and wide dispersion speaker if possible. I would highly recommend kef q series w your budget. Then get kef E or T series as surrounds/atmos. There are some used sets on carousell now. Grab them. This should all fit nicely within your budget.

If u set these KEF speakers up properly, your system will be hard to beat for 5k. Ive heard a kef system w Q series and eggs (set up & calibrated properly) that easily trumped a $50k system not calibrated properly. 

2) screen size - dont worry. 75-80" isn't too big. 65" is the min i would say lol. Im using  65" oled for a similar room depth, it definitely can go bigger. But bigger is not better. A tv model w good reviews and 1 size smaller is much better vs a cheap one (with poor reviews) that is 1 size bigger. 

3) atmos - just do it once & for all. 3 pairs if u can. U wont regret it for HT. Make sure 1 pair is placed at front heights position, this is the key placement that will make hell lot of difference to your overhead sound. 

Edited by kopidilo

4 hours ago, Audio said:

Please reconsider, a lot of bro I visited don't even come close to the size of the room you got.

(Audio)

4 hours ago, Audio said:

(Audio)

I must have sounded weird to some ?

Stated above, from my seating distance to the screen wall, is not more than 2.3m therefore based on the chart like this (below), it work out to be around 65". I will be happy to be proven wrong because I was happy to hear that i can accommodate a bigger screen size i read your comment. ??

TV Size Viewing Distance Range
(Approx.)
22 inch 80 cm / 2.62 feet
26 inch 1 meter / 3.28 feet
32 inch 1.2 meters / 3.94 feet
40 inch 1.5 meters / 4.92 feet
43 inch 1.7 meters / 5.57 feet
46 inch 1.7 meters / 5.57 feet
49 inch 1.9 meters / 6.23 feet
50 inch 1.9 meters / 6.23 feet
55 inch 2.1 meters / 6.89 feet
60 inch 2.3 meters / 7.55 feet