Bookshelf OR Floorstander?

So i've had a pair of pretty decent bookshelf speakers for the last 3 years, Aurum Cantus LE 2, my first set of proper speakers. 

upgraded my sources, and now planning to get a pair of speakers this year, can't decide if i should get a pair of bigger bookshelf or small/ skinny floorstander. 

very happy with the ribbon tweeters, but feel the AC lacks bass, and soundstage is a bit tight, also would love a slightly bigger listening sweet spot. 

space is shared living/ dining room, 3B x 6L x 3H. but speakers are not outside of tv, thus not doing double duties.

system is roughly in the center of the room, speakers about 1.8m apart, listening position is on the short side across. about 2.5m from speakers. 

no room treatments yet, thinking of getting some absorption panels for behind the listening position (currently blank wall), need it to be living room friendly, so likely a picture print of something that is acceptable by the wife. 

budget, nothing really in mind, can stretch it if there's a really good deal (possibly $8k limit, i know it's not much), but don't have to try and spend everything, don't mind 2nd hand.

my setup currently;

nord streamer, marantz cdp to pontus dac

concept tt to iphono2

goldmund srp 

chifi dual mono amp (150w to 8ohms)

basic cables are mostly from infinite cables (local), speaker, power, ic

powered thru plixir (pre, power, tt, phono) and bada power conditioner (streamer, cdp, dac)

speakers are currently on 50cm tall stands 35cm from the back wall

roughly as below;

image.png.38ca5c0f7de286c60297580b35a27aef.png

something else to note; my listening chair is quite low, siting position is roughly 80cm above the ground. 

some speakers that i've been keen on;

(fs)fyne audio f501 or possibly the sp version that is just released end of last year

(fs) magico s1 

(bs) usher mini dancer x

(bs) joseph audio prism 

(bs) bmr monitor

(bs) sierra 2ex

these are all based on reading, never had a chance to listen to any before.

thanks. 

Edited by zephyr11

You mentioned soundstage & lack of bass.

I’d suggest placing speaker across the TV console, as far apart as reasonable, for wider soundstage. You can toe in for better imaging.

On the bass front, you’ll need speakers that can dig low. Since you’re already considering Usher Mini-X, just stretch your budget  a bit more and consider  the Usher Dancer 2. The Dancer 2 is a floor stander, with similar footprint as Mini-X, more sensitive, and it digs really low. (I own a Dancer 2).

Edited by Boxerfan88
  • Like 1

Bookshelf can liao unless you wanna use it integrate your 2.1 with your tv console then you had more space to work around for floorstander, with 8k you can get a ATC SCM11 with a more powerful amp sell your chifi dual mono amp as well then use that money to get something like hegel h190, or a dynaudio SP40 if you wanna fork out more on speaker, smaller floorstander like Kef R5 or B&W 704s2 is a option too if you die die want floorstander that fit your space

• Like 1

Guest wusplay

You short listed fyne f501sp... Interesting.. 

I just bought f1-8, long lead time, the speaker will only arrive a couple of months later. 

Just a suggestion - whichever route you take, do have a home trial where possible. Better still, insist on a home trial. Even pay a little for the home trial. It'll save you money, frustrations and regrets later.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Chowbotak said:

Hmm I'll be quite hesitant in acquiring speakers with less than 8in drivers in that room size

as much as i would love that, there's a lot of stuff here and there, and i don't think i have enough space to let such speakers perform to their potential. 

20 hours ago, Boxerfan88 said:

You mentioned soundstage & lack of bass.

I’d suggest placing speaker across the TV console, as far apart as reasonable, for wider soundstage. You can toe in for better imaging.

On the bass front, you’ll need speakers that can dig low. Since you’re already considering Usher Mini-X, just stretch your budget  a bit more and consider  the Usher Dancer 2. The Dancer 2 is a floor stander, with similar footprint as Mini-X, more sensitive, and it digs really low. (I own a Dancer 2).

sorry forgot to mention i don't have space to move anything. they are pretty much fixed. i'm looking at the usher mini cos there's a few avail for a decent price, and also they their measurements seem to better my current speakers (matched on the highs and lower on the lows). 

i've actually not seen them before in real life, and there's no official dealer locally, as least on their (usher) website. 

15 hours ago, Amon86 said:

Bookshelf can liao unless you wanna use it integrate your 2.1 with your tv console then you had more space to work around for floorstander, with 8k you can get a ATC SCM11 with a more powerful amp sell your chifi dual mono amp as well then use that money to get something like hegel h190, or a dynaudio SP40 if you wanna fork out more on speaker, smaller floorstander like Kef R5 or B&W 704s2 is a option too if you die die want floorstander that fit your space

i honestly think this power amp is quite decent, i did look at B&W, Kef, but didn't fancy anything. i do really want to check out focal though, but not sure which one i should be looking at, they all seem sky high prices. 

4 minutes ago, zephyr11 said:

sorry forgot to mention i don't have space to move anything. they are pretty much fixed. i'm looking at the usher mini cos there's a few avail for a decent price, and also they their measurements seem to better my current speakers (matched on the highs and lower on the lows). 

i've actually not seen them before in real life, and there's no official dealer locally, as least on their (usher) website. 

Yeah, in that case, a bit difficult to fit a Dancer2, the Mini-X makes more sense.

I got my Ushers from Xaudio the dealer at that time. You may want to reach out to them to see if they still carry or can indent for you...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wusplay said:

You short listed fyne f501sp... Interesting.. 

I just bought f1-8, long lead time, the speaker will only arrive a couple of months later. 

i've been eyeing the 500, then i saw the 501, then the 501sp released in dec. 

i've always been keen to try something from tannoy, and seeing that the whole fyne team is from tannoy, i thought they are worth a look, plus their prices (those made in CHINA ones) are nothing short of good value, almost even at retail. 

did you get to audition the f1-8? that's quite a good chunk for a stand mount. if you don't mind sharing, can i ask how much they are?

i think the 501sp is the lowest end that is made in uk. before was the 502sp. 

Guest wusplay

For Fyne local pricing, you can take the UK MSRP x 1.7

Applicable for F1-5 & F1-8

Didn't listen to F1-8. E77 only have F1-5 & F1-12 in their adelphi shop. Anyway I didn't decide base on audition. Like you, I always like to try out Tannoy. 

Guest francishuang

The Devore 096 O93 or Gibbon series if you are considering Set, tube amps or class a amps on future. 

Edited by francishuang

5 hours ago, zephyr11 said:

i honestly think this power amp is quite decent, i did look at B&W, Kef, but didn't fancy anything. i do really want to check out focal though, but not sure which one i should be looking at, they all seem sky high prices. 

I see....why i suggested change in amp to h190 is because ATC SCM11 speaker might be cheap at 2k+ but with the right amp it sounded really impressive...as for B&W their 700series not bad if your impression of demoing it...is not really good is because at the showroom they mainly pair with crappy gears....they should have pair up with the anthem STR integrated amp or the michi x3 they will sound more impressive.....kef is impressive on the reference series.....you can try PMC twenty 5.23i or spendor those also not bad or dali epicon 2 the only dali i like.....the most crappy brand i had ever listen to is monitor audio that brand speaker sounded sux no offence to owner who had them.... 

• Like 1

I'm wondering what's lacking in the bass region? One note type of bass or the op wants to hear more nuisance?

Speaking as a ex user of Mini 1, the Usher's mini series speakers need quality instead of quantity power.

Edited by Jsen

21 hours ago, wusplay said:

For Fyne local pricing, you can take the UK MSRP x 1.7

Applicable for F1-5 & F1-8

Didn't listen to F1-8. E77 only have F1-5 & F1-12 in their adelphi shop. Anyway I didn't decide base on audition. Like you, I always like to try out Tannoy. 

thanks!

maybe go by their store try the 501, see how. will update again after. 

21 hours ago, francishuang said:

The Devore 096 O93 or Gibbon series if you are considering Set, tube amps or class a amps on future. 

the O series too wide sadly i only have 35 approx width wise to play with, the gibbon series do look good, any idea on local pricing? the super nine looks tasty!

21 hours ago, Chowbotak said:

Not sure if the mini usher will give you enough bass in tat room. Best if u can buy used or if new, get home trial so u won't lose so much if u have to sell them off

yes would likely be that if it works out. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jsen said:

I'm wondering what's lacking in the bass region? One note type of bass or the op wants to hear more nuisance?

Speaking as a ex user of Mini 1, the Usher's mini series speakers need quality instead of quantity power.

i've not had much chance to listen to other setups, but i feel that currently, the bass is a little light. 

as for quality of power avail, i honestly think this amp though chifi, is more than capable to do justice to the ushers.

honestly i would love for some opinions on my current setup. anyone that might have time on, are more than welcome to have a listen!

3 hours ago, zephyr11 said:

i've not had much chance to listen to other setups, but i feel that currently, the bass is a little light. 

as for quality of power avail, i honestly think this amp though chifi, is more than capable to do justice to the ushers.

honestly i would love for some opinions on my current setup. anyone that might have time on, are more than welcome to have a listen!

if bass is the only issue and you are okay with your speakers then get a subwoofer instead you can save up the money....get REL or JL those subs works very well with music....

4 hours ago, zephyr11 said:

I'm not looking down on Chifi amp as I'm using MI(Tw) amps too. Cheers.

Edited by Jsen
  • Like 1

Why not move to integrate the space of tv console and stereo system into one?

you can declutter and will have more space for floor standing speakers which you can set up a little wider apart. 
also, don’t forget some subtle wall treatments may help bass, especially if a lack of bass is due to poor room acoustics.