Hi folks, want to add vinyl playback to my current stereo setup which is primarily for CD and streaming. Not planning to go all the way as i am using more as a complement to playback music that are not released in CD/streaming or when digital sources are clearly inferior.

Have tried Goldnote setup with the Pianosa turntable and Goldnote PH10 phono amp and E.A.T.S setup with the C-Sharp turntable and the E-Glo Petit phono amp. I will be happy with either of them and amazingly they are at the exact same price.  Is there any other setup at this range (<10k all in) that i should try first before making the decision? TIA

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In my book, the hierachy of contributions to overall sound quality from most to least is : 1. Turntable   2. Tonearm   3. Phono stage    4. cartridge  Others will have a different opinion  

Thanks all for the advice, really appreciate it. Have settled on the Goldnote Pianosa setup as i enjoy working with the folks at Audio Atelier, plus their offer includes the flexibility of an attracti

Yup got both but for the record brushes i not so comfortable to use. To me it seems like no matter how light pressure i apply, it seems to leave streaks behind on the records. End up i got one big mak

Posted Images

Since you have auditioned the European offerings, listen to the British contingent which offer a different presentation to music. Rega, Mitchell Gyrodac and Origin Live are available for audition in that same corner of Adelphi as the two TT you have heard.

9 hours ago, zephyr11 said:

think i just saw some traded in TT on modular audio fb page, possibly worth a look? if you don't mind 2nd hand that is. 

Don't mind 2nd hand but at the price of the traded in sets, i will prefer to get new for guaranteed dealer support. Very new to this so getting from good dealers is a must for me.

8 hours ago, blue_starfish said:

Since you have auditioned the European offerings, listen to the British contingent which offer a different presentation to music. Rega, Mitchell Gyrodac and Origin Live are available for audition in that same corner of Adelphi as the two TT you have heard.

Origin Live was not recommended to me when i visit Modular, maybe its out of my budget? I listened to Rega TT before in the past, think its a RP6, and don't think it's my type of sound. Reminds me of the focal/naim combination which while good, is not my preference. 

19 hours ago, BlurRhino said:

Don't mind 2nd hand but at the price of the traded in sets, i will prefer to get new for guaranteed dealer support. Very new to this so getting from good dealers is a must for me.

Origin Live was not recommended to me when i visit Modular, maybe its out of my budget? I listened to Rega TT before in the past, think its a RP6, and don't think it's my type of sound. Reminds me of the focal/naim combination which while good, is not my preference. 

OL is within your budget but may not suit your taste since Rega sound is not your taste. Sounds like you are inclined towards the sound of high-mass tables rather than the agile British sound. 

In which case Clearaudio at HER and Acoustic Signature at Audioline will suit you. Maybe so will the Taiwan made Tien with variable torque drive.

On 1/9/2021 at 7:42 PM, BlurRhino said:

Hi folks, want to add vinyl playback to my current stereo setup which is primarily for CD and streaming. Not planning to go all the way as i am using more as a complement to playback music that are not released in CD/streaming or when digital sources are clearly inferior.

Have tried Goldnote setup with the Pianosa turntable and Goldnote PH10 phono amp and E.A.T.S setup with the C-Sharp turntable and the E-Glo Petit phono amp. I will be happy with either of them and amazingly they are at the exact same price.  Is there any other setup at this range (<10k all in) that i should try first before making the decision? TIA

Have you audition the MOFI UltraDeck Turntable? Heard it few times, it's really good sounding and well made considering the price. I much preferred the MOFI TT a lot more compared to the current market offerings.

Or if you are abit more adventurous, try some vintage stuffs like Garrard 301/401, Thorens TD 124 couple with 12" Tonearm, might give you pleasant surprises.

Edited by luvmusic77
15 hours ago, zephyr11 said:

didn't try clearaudio while you were at modular audio?

This was not recommended to me when i approach them. They only offer me EATS, probably because of my budget.

8 hours ago, annapurna said:

You can also consider SME Model 6 which is below $10k.  

I think below 10k is just turntable and tonearm only? I did drop an email to HER and Colin did not offer me this but offer me the clearaudio concept active instead, which i probably will give it a miss. Even though i have not hear it yet, based on reviews online i doubt it will reach the quality of the full EATS and Goldnote setup i heard, albeit at a much cheaper price.

8 hours ago, blue_starfish said:

OL is within your budget but may not suit your taste since Rega sound is not your taste. Sounds like you are inclined towards the sound of high-mass tables rather than the agile British sound. 

In which case Clearaudio at HER and Acoustic Signature at Audioline will suit you. Maybe so will the Taiwan made Tien with variable torque drive.

Thanks for the recommendations. 

7 hours ago, luvmusic77 said:

Have you audition the MOFI UltraDeck Turntable? Heard it few times, it's really good sounding and well made considering the price. I much preferred the MOFI TT a lot more compared to the current market offerings.

Or if you are abit more adventurous, try some vintage stuffs like Garrard 301/401, Thorens TD 124 couple with 12" Tonearm, might give you pleasant surprises.

Seems like the MOFI dealer that i found are more of selling records than hardware? I very new to this so probably will need help with installation and reliable dealer support. And don't think i will try anything adventurous until i am more familiar with it.

the concept is the entry to the range (3/4k), i'm sure there's options avail upwards within your budget, ovation or possibly even innovation, with a  different tonearm. 

maybe best to swing by the store to check out what they have and have a listen? 

Don't know it is your cup of tea or not.  The soulines kubrick dcx turntable from Audio basic with one of the hana cartridge could looks and sounds  stunning.