Chinese pop vinyl - original or reissue?

Hi guys,

I am starting to collect vinyls but noticed recently that more and more old albums are being reissued so I am in a dilemma as to which version to get.

I don't want to have to get both versions to test out. 

For example, here are some specific artists I am interested in:

Dave Wong (Wong Kit)

Leslie Cheung

Jacky Cheung

Faye Wong

Would it be worth the hassle to get the original releases if I am just after sound quality and not so much collectibility?

For something like this https://www.yesasia.com/us/luk-siu-fung-vinyl-lp-limited-edition/1074986217-0-0-0-en/info.html , do you guys recommend I get the reissue or original? They are around the same price and the new reissue is advertised as from original analogue tapes so this really make things tricky for me. lol

Also, I noticed the post about New Century Workshop being terrible quality which I appreciate. 

Do we have a ranking system for the labels and companies in terms of new releases' sound quality? Perhaps we can start one. 😄

Specifically I am wondering about the Taiwan label Rock Record since I noticed I have been buying quite a number of these reissues.

Sorry for the fragmented post, but I am feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the new reissues now so I just want get the best ones if possible.

Any help would be much appreciated for a newbie. 🙂

The original pressing of the artists you are looking for are quite expensives. 

More often than not, the original pressings sound much better. 

The post 1992 album of these singers are either not avail in lp format or are later issues (release much later than the original cd).  Usually for these albums, the first press cd sound better. 

However there are some steller sounding records of these taiwanese or Hong kong Singers in 1990 1991. This is a period which Hk has already stopped or has very limited production. The production was moved to South Korea using the master tapes/dat. 

For Rock, do take note if its from Rock Taiwan or Rock Hong Kong.  Generally, Rock Taiwan is much better than Rock Hong Kong releases. 

Sadly for Chinese/Cantonese albums, the original pressings are  usually better but comes at a price. 

Edited by francishuang
12 hours ago, francishuang said:

The original pressing of the artists you are looking for are quite expensives. 

More often than not, the original pressings sound much better. 

The post 1992 album of these singers are either not avail in lp format or are later issues (release much later than the original cd).  Usually for these albums, the first press cd sound better. 

However there are some steller sounding records of these taiwanese or Hong kong Singers in 1990 1991. This is a period which Hk has already stopped or has very limited production. The production was moved to South Korea using the master tapes/dat. 

For Rock, do take note if its from Rock Taiwan or Rock Hong Kong.  Generally, Rock Taiwan is much better than Rock Hong Kong releases. 

Sadly for Chinese/Cantonese albums, the original pressings are  usually better but comes at a price. 

Thanks, I understand, if I do get the originals it will be very select albums due to the price, but then usually those are the most expensive albums. lol

So the original 33rpm releases should sound better than later 45rpm releases in most cases?

3 hours ago, Pazuzu said:

Thanks, I understand, if I do get the originals it will be very select albums due to the price, but then usually those are the most expensive albums. lol

So the original 33rpm releases should sound better than later 45rpm releases in most cases?

Yes Sir, usually the case for the chinese/Cantonese records. Feel free to pm me the records u are targeting. Can share with you the better (to my knowledge/personal opinion) pressing version. 

On 1/10/2021 at 12:29 PM, francishuang said:

Yes Sir, usually the case for the chinese/Cantonese records. Feel free to pm me the records u are targeting. Can share with you the better (to my knowledge/personal opinion) pressing version. 

yes, this is the shifu to go to

hopefully u are healthy n safe, I just went for my 2nd swab....