Hi all, now that i got my dac, i'm using it for all digital source, i used to have attenuators for my cdp, as the gain is too high, but now that i use the dac then to my pre amp, i have no way to lower the gain. 

is there a solution to this?

thanks in advance. 

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Your DAC has 2.2v output which is slightly higher than the rca standard or 2v but I don't think that's the main problem.    Most likely it's your preamp gain is high or a mismatch between yo

I think you should make use of the gain knob of your poweramp to lower the gain instead of doing it from your source.    Since it's not possible to bypass that gain knob of your poweramp, ju

Try to set your power amp gain at half position and see if it improve the matching. I believe this is similar to using that RCA attenuator. 

Posted (edited)

^^^^^^^^

thanks, but where do i insert this item? between dac to pre? 

they work like attenuators? 

got a dumb qn;

when i use the cdp toslink to dac, is the data sent with gain too? or just pure data? 

Edited by zephyr11
14 hours ago, zephyr11 said:

^^^^^^^^

thanks, but where do i insert this item? between dac to pre? 

they work like attenuators? 

got a dumb qn;

when i use the cdp toslink to dac, is the data sent with gain too? or just pure data? 

Hi bro, you may want to ask Alvin this gain qn as I find the denafrips DAC analog output gain is quite high for my Ares ii too, when i tried both optical & coaxial digital inputs

Edited by kinger

You already got a Pre-amp connected to your DAC....then what is the issue??????

Also, CDP would sound best when the attenuator is turned to the max.

(Audio)

I don't  quite understand the issue too. Are you saying that you don't have sufficient volume control on your pre-amp? You playing at 8 o'clock?

My guess is the gain from his DAC is too high so when he tried to turn his volume knob on his preamp, it gets too loud very quickly. 

zephyr11, am I correct? 

2 hours ago, pcking said:

My guess is the gain from his DAC is too high so when he tried to turn his volume knob on his preamp, it gets too loud very quickly. 

zephyr11, am I correct? 

something like that. 

when i was using cdp direct to preamp (rca out, volume on my pre is at 7/8 o'clock), now i use it as a transport to dac (spdif out), and the gain still seem to be the same, if not slightly more (volume on my pre when i use it as a cd transport to dac, is STILL at 7 o'clock thereabouts). 

i was under the impression that when using as transport it should be only transferring data? 

does that mean the gain is also very high on the dac?

16 hours ago, Audio said:

You already got a Pre-amp connected to your DAC....then what is the issue??????

Also, CDP would sound best when the attenuator is turned to the max.

(Audio)

i have a set of these 

1564706-4ddd6e1c-rothwell-in-line-attenu

should i add it to the pre amp (from the dac to pre amp)

also no volume control.