Feed back on stylus gel been used to clean.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, S1chen said:

So you still not able to show and prove with instruments and documents in the public but instead only can show either at your place or mine?

like you say, let others judge your “finding”. 

have a nice day.

Yes!

You are right! Just a topic of open discussion. 

Cheers.

Guest francishuang

From what i see, it is just a User/purchaser of  certain products with no commercial affiliation giving his feedback of the products . 

Maybe a better way will be the manufacturer or local distributor to address the user's concern of the product by providing technical details and verification. 

Edited by francishuang

On 12/27/2020 at 2:37 PM, jeromelang said:

Hi jtsamarinda may I visit you to view the grainy stylus?

?

Sure you can. I would demonstrate using the product in the normal way, it does it's job of removing dirt form the stylus, then by dipping the stylus in the gel it coats a film of stickiness to the stylus. And with a clean record after Ultrasonic cleaning with a KL Audio. You can witness the vinyl debris stuck on to the stylus using a Carl Zeiss 200X and 400X microscope. This is where the trouble starts grinding into the groove of the record.  And many of my customers complaint record still dirty and hearing like static. 

9 hours ago, francishuang said:

From what i see, it is just a User/purchaser of  certain products with no commercial affiliation giving his feedback of the products . 

Maybe a better way will be the manufacturer or local distributor to address the user's concern of the product by providing technical details and verification. 

I fully agree what you are saying, it's good to exchange views what others do not realize.?

• Like 1

As a distributor for DS Audio, we need to clarify that we have hundred of customers now using the ST-50 cleaner with no immediate damage of their Vinyl or Stylus after using the ST-50. In contrary, if anyone have visit us in the showroom and have ask for our opinion, our position is that ST-50 Gel is not wonder and it do has its limit. This include brush, liquid cleaner and those of vibration. If someone are playing their LP regularly with their Vinyl vacuum clean before and after each play, normally, the stylus can maintain clean for a very long period without resorting to any of the cleaners. However, most users do not practice the cleaning of the Vinyl and some are unclean for a long period. This is where the stylus will pick up all the dust, debris and even the resin from the Vinyl. Each of the cleaner have their role and hence they can exist for so long ever since record is around with many improve over the years.

We do suggest user to have all 3 type of cleaners device and use them as and when needed.

1) Brush - good for removing very large dust trap on the stylus and dust around the cartridge body. But it is not able to remove some very fine dust stuck to the stylus. (Do not use force and it will break the cantilever.) This can use anytime with little damage to the stylus but always brush from rear to the front unless you have those of horse hair brush.

2) Gel - good to remove normal dust around the stylus but not effective if the stylus around trap with vinyl debris or fungus. (Normally you can see the stylus tip is black at the back.)  Can be use after every few LP as it can quickly remove fine dust. But use with care and let the stylus dig into the gel via the arm rest control via gravity. Do not force the gel into the stylus using hand. Gel need to regularly clean with water to remove the dirt and let it air dirt. Unfortunately, not all gel are make of same quality and some may dis-integrated quickly and lost their effectiveness over a short period. Do not leave the gel expose or under sunlight as the air and UV can disintegrated the gel faster.

3) Liquid and Vibration - Very effective in removing very stubborn dirt but the liquid should only use to clean the stylus strictly and not the whole cantilever and body shell. This liquid can be very corrosive and can de-bond the diamond tip off the cantilever for some brand (check with your stylus maker), also it can corrode those cantilever and body when they are make of Aluminium. Also when using with cleaner like Audio Technica and Clearaudio, if you use them to remove a lot of dust pickup each time, you will discover the liquid in the bottle will quickly polluted with the dirt and murky. So do check liquid in the  bottle regularly and change if necessary.

Stylus and Vinyl are very hardy things, I personally have LP that I brought new since 1982 and they still play like brand new and I use all three type of cleaner till today and none have given me any issue. On the other hand, I have bought LP that is brand new of 180 gram and it is so badly make that it dirty the stylus with almost every 3 track. So bad that I have to resort to using liquid cleaner to remove the black vinyl stuck on the stylus.  Also another hint is that some stylus cut somehow pick up more dirt than another. 

Feel free to contact me if you have further question regarding to cleaner, I will more than happy to share my finding.

• Like 2

On 12/29/2020 at 9:24 AM, MusicImage18 said:

Feel free to contact me if you have further question regarding to cleaner, I will more than happy to share my finding.

Thanks for the update.

I purchase 2 pcs. DS  ST50.

And I found that the first one was sticky and the second one as well. After a few months it became much more sticky.  Thus contamination of the stylus with stickiness than vinyl dust gets collected and you have dirty record groove. With out the use of it, I get better sound with less static like noise.

It not only the DS product but other gels as well e.g Dust Buster, Zero have the same problem. I find this has also to do with our environment climate, effects the product. That's why I have posted this findings. To find if others have the same problems. Also I have worked in Clean room environments with AMD, Intel and Motorola I have never seen these product used in clean room environments, the normal practice in clean room  is to use  clean room wipes and IPA.  So where is this product polyurethane used??

Edited by jtsamarinda
  • Like 1

Let me first state that this is in the context of Onzow Zerodust that is over 5 years old. It was been washed and dried few times to remove dirt. Done according to instructions.  There may be an unstated lifespan to such products where the gel gets too soft and too sticky in our climate.

Based on what jtsamarinda has written, I took out my old Zerodust and did some trials. I have not used it for awhile as I have switched to dry brush cleaning with wet cleaning only when very dirty. 

My finding is same as what jtsamarinda has written. There is some sticky residue left behind. Not just on the stylus, but even on my fingers when I touched the Zerodust surface. Maybe mine is an old piece of Zerodust. This explains why I was finding that dirt was sticking to the stylus and was hard to remove after using Zerodust. Even on machine cleaned records It did not occur to me that the Zerodust was the culprit. So my thanks to jtsamarinda for pointing this out. 

Needless to say the Zerodust is in the bin now, keeping the useful magnifier. I will get a DS Audio ST-50 to stand-by as an alternative cleaning method. I do not want to do a wet clean too frequently to preserve the cantilever and stylus glue.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, blue_starfish said:

Let me first state that this is in the context of Onzow Zerodust that is over 5 years old. It was been washed and dried few times to remove dirt. Done according to instructions.  There may be an unstated lifespan to such products where the gel gets too soft and too sticky in our climate.

Based on what jtsamarinda has written, I took out my old Zerodust and did some trials. I have not used it for awhile as I have switched to dry brush cleaning with wet cleaning only when very dirty. 

My finding is same as what jtsamarinda has written. There is some sticky residue left behind. Not just on the stylus, but even on my fingers when I touched the Zerodust surface. Maybe mine is an old piece of Zerodust. This explains why I was finding that dirt was sticking to the stylus and was hard to remove after using Zerodust. Even on machine cleaned records It did not occur to me that the Zerodust was the culprit. So my thanks to jtsamarinda for pointing this out. 

Needless to say the Zerodust is in the bin now, keeping the useful magnifier. I will get a DS Audio ST-50 to stand-by as an alternative cleaning method. I do not want to do a wet clean too frequently to preserve the cantilever and stylus glue.

My only recommendation in using either ZeroDust  or DS ST-50 is after using it on the stylus is to clean the stylus again with pad brush with a drop of AT liquid to give it a final clean on the stylus.

A little extra work.?

• Thanks 1

Guest francishuang
4 minutes ago, jtsamarinda said:

My only recommendation in using either ZeroDust  or DS ST-50 is after using it on the stylus is to clean the stylus again with pad brush with a drop of AT liquid to give it a final clean on the stylus.

A little extra work.?

Yup, this way the most convinent way to yield a good sound

2 hours ago, jtsamarinda said:

Thanks for the update.

I purchase 2 pcs. DS  ST50.

And I found that the first one was sticky and the second one as well. After a few months it became much more sticky.  Thus contamination of the stylus with stickiness than vinyl dust gets collected and you have dirty record groove. With out the use of it, I get better sound with less static like noise.

It not only the DS product but other gels as well e.g Dust Buster, Zero have the same problem. I find this has also to do with our environment climate, effects the product. That's why I have posted this findings. To find if others have the same problems. Also I have worked in Clean room environments with AMD, Intel and Motorola I have never seen these product used in clean room environments, the normal practice in clean room  is to use  clean room wipes and IPA.  So where is this product polyurethane used??

May I know where you buy your ST50 from? 

3 hours ago, jtsamarinda said:

Yes! That's correct.

But less than a  year for mine. Very short shelve live.

19 hours ago, jtsamarinda said:

From Simply Music #03-12 Adelphi. 

Please sent it down to the place you purchase and we will like to investigate what happens. Since you purchase two, please sent both for our check. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MusicImage18 said:

Another question, what cartridges you are using and experienced the problem.

I am using 10 different turntables, cartridge used Denon 103, 103R, Lyra Kelos, Hana EL, Audio Technica AT33,

Ortofon M20, Gardo Gold Prestige, Ortofon M2 Black. Stanton 681 EEE, Decca London. I play them on rotation 2 TT at a time. 

All of them have the same out come. Sticky contamination from varies gels, as well.

On 12/22/2020 at 5:52 PM, malsound said:

I am pull my trigger on this one, report back once it arrived. 

Guys, just got the AT-617a, I don't know how to tell you this. First impressions everything song better, micro, macro, intonation. I would say it is like cleaning my spectacular with ultra fine spectacular micro cloth. I have both the zero duct and VP dust buster and they do get harden with time. If memory serves me right the AT is the most impressive.  Also it help maybe because I am running in one of most quiet cartridge in the groove . Shelter 901mkiii.

• Like 2

On 12/23/2020 at 1:31 PM, BTW1624705745 said:

After cleaning my cartridges with a stylus brush... I use Last Factory's Stylast for my cartridges.. works great.

managed to find this over the weekend, thought i'll give it a try, brushed it first with the included stylus brush, a couple of swabs on the stylus tip. 

all i can say is WOW... almost felt like a new cart. 

now i use this before every session, and the stylus brush for in between every side. 

thanks for sharing! ?

1 hour ago, zephyr11 said:

managed to find this over the weekend, thought i'll give it a try, brushed it first with the included stylus brush, a couple of swabs on the stylus tip. 

all i can say is WOW... almost felt like a new cart. 

now i use this before every session, and the stylus brush for in between every side. 

thanks for sharing! ?

You are most welcomed... your cartridge stylus will last longer as well .... Happy Spinning.

• Like 1