Are there big quality differences between USA vs UK Amazon Bluray / 4k discs ?

I've just gotten some BD discs from UK Amazon and noticed that the packaging looks quite different and there are more audio languages on the disc, so it dawned on me that the production mastering of the discs could be from another factory.

It got me worrying about the quality of the UK discs and whether I need to return them and then buy from Amazon USA. 

Generally, is there a big difference between USA vs UK Amazon Bluray/ 4k discs? And what are the differences in general? Assume the majority/ broad brush here as I know in some cases it could be title dependent. 

UK discs will be in "PAL" Colour (British Spelling of Colour, Hehehehehe!!!)

US discs will be in "NTSC" Color (American Spelling of Color, Hehehehehe!!!)

1 hour ago, CASH1624705743 said:

UK discs will be in "PAL" Colour (British Spelling of Colour, Hehehehehe!!!)

US discs will be in "NTSC" Color (American Spelling of Color, Hehehehehe!!!)

Abang... this PAL/NTSC thingy applies to only DVD releases. FHD/UHD BDs are standard across with 2K/4K videos leh...

48 minutes ago, kopidilo said:

haha, thanks cash. So any major diff in quality? 

what u should be concerned of are region coding compatibility with UR playback gears and censorship that affects running time lengths from either side of releases. some European/English cuts can be longer or shorter than the American cuts. the same applies vice versa.

to check whether the titles had suffered any cuts or region coding control compatibility checkout:

www.DVDcompare.net

• Like 1

5 hours ago, YANG said:

what u should be concerned of are region coding compatibility with UR playback gears and censorship that affects running time lengths from either side of releases. some European/English cuts can be longer or shorter than the American cuts. the same applies vice versa.

to check whether the titles had suffered any cuts or region coding control compatibility checkout:

www.DVDcompare.net

T u bro yang

On 12/11/2020 at 9:46 PM, kopidilo said:

I've just gotten some BD discs from UK Amazon and noticed that the packaging looks quite different and there are more audio languages on the disc, so it dawned on me that the production mastering of the discs could be from another factory.

It got me worrying about the quality of the UK discs and whether I need to return them and then buy from Amazon USA. 

Generally, is there a big difference between USA vs UK Amazon Bluray/ 4k discs? And what are the differences in general? Assume the majority/ broad brush here as I know in some cases it could be title dependent. 

There are some significant differences:

- some UK discs only have 5.1 instead of 7.1

- the cases are thicker

- the encoding can be different, eg Donnie Yen's 14 Blades is DTS MA vs Tru HD. Actually I found the UK mix better

- region coding

- if you are into iTunes, it will be in a different region too

- 4k discs will be the same theoretically.. but some of the UK / Oz discs don't have the BR disc or a digital copy included. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks petetherock! 

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the quality on the UK discs is 90% similar or not too far off. Cos the price of esp the marvel 4k titles was much cheaper than amazon USA. 

Edited by kopidilo

I don't think the picture quality will differ a lot, but if you are really into it, I suppose like CDs, there are 'first pressings'... but I'm into savings too.

When you buy a boxset, the shipping counts as one item. So do your homework on sites like Bluray.com and check the encoding..

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 12/15/2020 at 12:02 AM, kopidilo said:

I bought thebred cliff bd from UK. Although it's  region B but it can play on my region A player. Strange. 

Not all BR discs are actually coded, i.e. they are really region-free, but just not advertised as such.  While UHD discs are not coded at all.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The more things change, they more the remain the same

When digital audio on optical discs is replicated in another pressing plant, over in another continental, there is always sonic differences.

Why is that so, nobody knows. 

The replicated discs that are manufactured in another country other than the country that the copyright holder resides - tend to sound different - brighter, slightly harsh and fatiguing, leaner, less bass, less full bodied, flatter in soundstaging depth - all the classic examples of sonic artefacts that can be introduced from the process of digital to digital bouncing from point to point.

Most blockbuster movies we are getting now are still being made in the USA, and owned by USA film companies. The UK and Europe have very little blockbuster action/thriller movie offerings, except for the obligatory 1 or 2 Oscar worthy drama per year. That means the majority of the movies on bluray discs replicated in the UK/Europe will tend to have that dreaded digital replication sonic problems.

Another issue with UK/European movie discs is that in order to accommodate more languages, the data transfer bit rate of the multichannel sound track could be lower per languages compared to discs that only has the sole English language soundtrack. Lower transfer bit rate simply means more threadbare sound. 

Edited by jerome_the_lang
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...