Received my new toy from 11.11 sale. The EMI level was a bit of a shock. Plixir managed to cut it by half.

Now to spend time to figure out the source and find a way to overcome the noise.

I’m suspecting one of the switching power supply is the culprit.

5B2DA89A-79C7-407E-981D-E3C53A9BAB46.jpeg

Edited by Boxerfan88
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks for your advice. AC normally off. Switching off CCFL lamps didn’t help much. Switched off the entire HT/HiFi system didn’t help much.   Finally traced the source, it was the PC workst

It doesnt solve but still in a way can help. But of course a balance iso transformer based power cond or regen will prove much much more effective. Sometimes one is at a stage of doing reno or such, i

same here, itchy to find out too.  😄   high EMI may not a bad thing sometimes. A bit of 'salt and pepper' could make a meal tastier.

Posted Images

Thanks for your advice. AC normally off. Switching off CCFL lamps didn’t help much. Switched off the entire HT/HiFi system didn’t help much.

Finally traced the source, it was the PC workstation at the other end of the room powered by another wall socket.

With the PC shutdown, the reading dropped dramatically.

Its gonna be a tough one to solve. Thats my primary desktop workstation.

4C32043B-7C9A-4805-AA7B-C5D3D45620E0.jpeg

Edited by Boxerfan88

4 hours ago, Boxerfan88 said:

Thanks for your advice. AC normally off. Switching off CCFL lamps didn’t help much. Switched off the entire HT/HiFi system didn’t help much.

Finally traced the source, it was the PC workstation at the other end of the room powered by another wall socket.

With the PC shutdown, the reading dropped dramatically.

Its gonna be a tough one to solve. Thats my primary desktop workstation.

4C32043B-7C9A-4805-AA7B-C5D3D45620E0.jpeg

I heard using a dedicated MCB line for the audio system would resolve most EMI problem. Maybe try relocate the power source for the desktop if theres an opportunity. 

Also, may I ask where did you get that EMI measurement device from? Looks interesting!

Edited by BigAndFat
6 minutes ago, jerome_the_lang said:

what purpose buy this emi thingy?

use to measure emi?

and then what, knowing emi  is high or low?

I believe its an indication of EMI in the power source (power to noise ratio). From what ive read online, under 50mv its very good and more than 1500mv would be very poor. And also see if using a power conditioner improves the EMI . . 

On 11/18/2020 at 4:49 PM, BigAndFat said:

I believe its an indication of EMI in the power source (power to noise ratio). From what ive read online, under 50mv its very good and more than 1500mv would be very poor. And also see if using a power conditioner improves the EMI . . 

ok, keep us updated of your progress.

BTW, it will be complementary to read about magnetic field measurements of audio components and what detrimental effects they can imposes on other audio components, and cables in close proximity.

power conditioners, in particular, radiate very strong magnetic fields.

dun let the cure be worse than the disease.....

Edited by jerome_the_lang
3 hours ago, BigAndFat said:

I heard using a dedicated MCB line for the audio system would resolve most EMI problem. Maybe try relocate the power source for the desktop if theres an opportunity. 

Also, may I ask where did you get that EMI measurement device from? Looks interesting!

Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately at this time, I am unable to install a dedicated line from the MCB to the room, therefore I have to find another solution.

I bought the item from Aliexpress. You might be able to land a good price during the black friday sale. Stack some coupon and you should be able to get it below $90. I was lucky to catch their shipping window, therefore received the unit within a week. Link below:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mP328Nf

Edited by Boxerfan88
21 hours ago, BigAndFat said:

IMO there is a mis- conception that by having a dedicated line for your system setup solves the problem.

It does not, remember your dedicated line is just a tap off from your main input ( Which is the 63 amp isolator) coming into the house. And by hook and crook the power line are all connected by your breaker or MCB so it does not solve the problem of EMI.

So I see many of my client waste lots of money thinking that it helps. It does not. Put your EMI meter through the test and find out after wasting all that money on dedicate line.

56 minutes ago, Colossus said:

do you enjoy the music better with low EMI? 

sorry if this is a stupid question.😁

This is a very very valid question. I am already happily enjoying my system with high EMI for years. I have a feeling my source & integrated amp does a very very good job of blocking/rejecting  EMI therefore the system has been sounding very nice for years.

When I got the EMI tool, and showing a high reading, its just the itchy backside wanting to do something about it. 😅

Edited by Boxerfan88