Owners of Klipsch Family The Klipschorn, La Scala, Belle Klipsch etc.

Any Klipsch owners of the Legendary  Klipschorn, La Scala, Belle Klipsch etc.

Being  the owner of the Klipschorn for the past 20years have not found any speakers in any price range to match

them except the living voice Vox Olympian. And other High efficiency speakers in the 100dB/1 watt range. 

Type of amplification used to pair them????.

Your comments. Please.

• Like 1

• Administrator

I had the new Klipschorns for a while in my room. They definitely seem to like big rooms. 

Interestingly they worked better for me when pulled out from the corners (which is not how they were designed I believe). The soundstage was amazing, the widest and tallest I have heard in my room. But the horn was definitely shouty and the bass was not balanced no matter what I tried. I could definitely see the appeal with KHorns though, particularly with low power tube amps etc. For their time, I imagine they would have been amazing.

6b6df1c0aa494d1c4cf32d68d283473e.jpg

• Like 1

I own Klipsch Forte III coming to 3 years plus now. I am more of a HT guy. Pair it with Onkyo TX-NR3010 both for HT and stereo listening. I will say the new vintage Klipsch with the new horn and crossover is good...
I also order the Cornwall IV which is on the way... ?

Edited by kennyluck2000

I have noted in your photograph, that shows the type of amp you are using.

It explains why you are having problems, the wrong amplifier speaker combination.

The  Klipschorn if you have readied the article by Klipsch himself explains that it is  best to be driver with a low power amplifier. These speakers are so reveling  that it shows the bad side of your amplifier especially push/pull amplifiers. If it is not bias or match pairs of tubes and transistors will show up front. On low efficiency speakers it does not show the quality of the amp. I used to run it with a 500 watt MC2500 power amp by Mcintosh and found out the hard way the amp I was using had a distortion I could not explain and found out that the amp had a power transistor replaced by the former owner of the Mac.

The speakers can be place at the corner as designed for with or without corners and a room I have tried 10 X 10 X 15 foot  and it sounder wonder full. I do not see you find that it is coloured and the horns shouty

as many people I found, to have complained. As mention I have yet to find a speaker better than these which I also own a pair of JBL Hartsfield and at one time the Living Voice Olympian. 

21 hours ago, joamonte said:

Did you place it at room corner? Heard that it need the room corner for the bass extension.

Yes! It is placed at the corner as was designed for, I have even tried in rooms away from the corners. And toed in slightly. I have run them on the Mcintosh MC1200 mono blocks with the meter just running near 1 watt level that it was too loud for the room. Presently using a Cary CAD300SE mono block, AirTight 211 mono block, Marantz Model 8B and Model 9 mono block, SunAudio 300B, Mcintosh MC2120  and Sansui AU111 RE-Issued  amp. 

2 hours ago, jtsamarinda said:

Yes! It is placed at the corner as was designed for, I have even tried in rooms away from the corners. And toed in slightly. I have run them on the Mcintosh MC1200 mono blocks with the meter just running near 1 watt level that it was too loud for the room. Presently using a Cary CAD300SE mono block, AirTight 211 mono block, Marantz Model 8B and Model 9 mono block, SunAudio 300B, Mcintosh MC2120  and Sansui AU111 RE-Issued  amp. 

So which is the best power amp for the Klipschorn? 

I heard it 2 time in different audiophile houses many years ago, but not too impressive , one using single ended 300B and one using DIY EL 84 pushpull, I feel the imaging was a bit larger than life and mid high wasn’t integrated too well with the bass, the 300B’s pair bass is too light , vocal is quite colorated , and the EL 84’s pair high is a bit too dark and bass it not extend although mid bass it quite full ..... on the other hand , one of the owner also own the Lowther TP 1 at opposite wall sound is much enjoyable, almost life alike and very all round, from classical to modern music all handle with ease.

heard lot of great comment on Klipschorn , hopefully one day I can heard a good set up pair ?

Edited by joamonte

18 hours ago, Marc said:

I had the new Klipschorns for a while in my room. They definitely seem to like big rooms. 

Interestingly they worked better for me when pulled out from the corners (which is not how they were designed I believe). The soundstage was amazing, the widest and tallest I have heard in my room. But the horn was definitely shouty and the bass was not balanced no matter what I tried. I could definitely see the appeal with KHorns though, particularly with low power tube amps etc. For their time, I imagine they would have been amazing.

6b6df1c0aa494d1c4cf32d68d283473e.jpg

Nice looking set up ....

• Like 1

• Administrator
8 hours ago, jtsamarinda said:

I have noted in your photograph, that shows the type of amp you are using.

It explains why you are having problems, the wrong amplifier speaker combination.

The  Klipschorn if you have readied the article by Klipsch himself explains that it is  best to be driver with a low power amplifier. These speakers are so reveling  that it shows the bad side of your amplifier especially push/pull amplifiers. If it is not bias or match pairs of tubes and transistors will show up front. On low efficiency speakers it does not show the quality of the amp. I used to run it with a 500 watt MC2500 power amp by Mcintosh and found out the hard way the amp I was using had a distortion I could not explain and found out that the amp had a power transistor replaced by the former owner of the Mac.

The speakers can be place at the corner as designed for with or without corners and a room I have tried 10 X 10 X 15 foot  and it sounder wonder full. I do not see you find that it is coloured and the horns shouty

as many people I found, to have complained. As mention I have yet to find a speaker better than these which I also own a pair of JBL Hartsfield and at one time the Living Voice Olympian. 

Yes you are absolutely right. I should point out that photo was just at that time. I actually ran them predominantly from TRIODE, Cary Audio and I think even the McIntosh got a small run. There is never any shortage of amps to try here, and when a review product comes in I will generally try loads of different configurations.

The AVM monos shown in the photo here however, were absolutely not a good match ?

On 10/27/2020 at 11:33 PM, joamonte said:

So which is the best power amp for the Klipschorn? 

I heard it 2 time in different audiophile houses many years ago, but not too impressive , one using single ended 300B and one using DIY EL 84 pushpull, I feel the imaging was a bit larger than life and mid high wasn’t integrated too well with the bass, the 300B’s pair bass is too light , vocal is quite colorated , and the EL 84’s pair high is a bit too dark and bass it not extend although mid bass it quite full ..... on the other hand , one of the owner also own the Lowther TP 1 at opposite wall sound is much enjoyable, almost life alike and very all round, from classical to modern music all handle with ease.

heard lot of great comment on Klipschorn , hopefully one day I can heard a good set up pair ?

I believe in IMO, If you do not hear it right and it sounds awful, do not blame on the Klipsch it is so reveling that it shows the poor performance of the amplifier. Due to crossover distortion in the amp itself. I have used with a Mac amplifier stock no repairs done e.g replaced power transistors which was not done by the factory. Mac 1.2KW to the MC2120 (120watt) with no distorted sound. But still the best is on any Single ended Triode 2A3, 300B, 845 or the 211 sounds at it's best. But of cause the Bass will sound neutral. But some do not like it than go for a good undistorted solid state amp  with caution.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi jtsamarinda, 

I'm a happy owner of Klipschorns. I wonder if there are more of us here in Singapore. 

I love these speakers. They do their job and play the music true to source (warts and all). I enjoy pairing different amps with them. Its just different sonic flavours for me.

Klipschorns are big but once you shove them in the corners they're pretty unobtrusive.

As some of you have rightly shared. I feel the Klipschorns really prefer a bigger space. My current listening space is not optimal. The music sounds better the further away I am from the Klipschorns.  

IMG_4475.HEIC

Edited by suntzu
  • Like 1

Here's a link to the Classic Album Sundays series. Hosted by the beautiful and classy Colleen Murphy (DJ.) 

A classic album is played on Klipsch Heritage speakers and paired with some world class audiophile amps. I'd love to attend such an event here and have suggested it to Klipsch Singapore.  

Just look at the faces of some of the audience members. That sums up how I feel about my Klipschorns.

https://www.klipsch.com.sg/classic-album-sundays-videos

• Like 1

10 hours ago, suntzu said:

Hi jtsamarinda, 

I'm a happy owner of Klipschorns. I wonder if there are more of us here in Singapore. 

I love these speakers. They do their job and play the music true to source (warts and all). I enjoy pairing different amps with them. Its just different sonic flavours for me.

Klipschorns are big but once you shove them in the corners they're pretty unobtrusive.

As some of you have rightly shared. I feel the Klipschorns really prefer a bigger space. My current listening space is not optimal. The music sounds better the further away I am from the Klipschorns.  

IMG_4475.HEIC 2.23 MB · 5 downloads

Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1