16 Channel Dirac Live Processor with Bass Control - Arcam/JBL Synthesis/AudioControl/Monoprice

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Marc said:

It's popular on AVS. Not sure they are appointing distributors as I thought their business model was to sell direct and cut out distributors?

ya, seems so, not able to find distributors in their website.

HTP-1 is the only "usable" (less issues) 16-channel Dirac Live processor at entry level, with prompt bug fixing track record, Arcam/JBL processors are just too buggy at the moment, based off AVS user feedback.

• Administrator

I have a JBL SDP-55 and I would agree with you. I only purchased it for Dante, which is now completely unusable. 
I do believe the next firmware update should resolve "most" of the bugs the JBL/Arcam platform has suffered from though. They've definitely taken their time with this next release. I was in touch with the engineers at Harman while they have been developing this. Unfortunately, due to COVID, they are all working at home with limited access to testing and resources. I think it has made it very difficult to solve and optimise what is a very complex product.

I can say that random noises and bugs aside, the SDP-55 sounds spectacular. If your budget can stretch to the JBL or the Arcam, I think it might be worth waiting a little longer for that.

ya, spec wise JBL is the best with dante, logic16, 9028 dac (not as good as AC X9 but quite decent), free tier 1 DLBC plus free future Dirac upgrades, but Dante and Logic16 not really useable now. after Arcam AVR/AV series released for 11 months and JBL SDP55 released for more than half a year, firmware 1.4 still buggy like hell. though Arcam claim they are working on a "serious" upgrade this time, I am not confident that the long list of issues can be resolved any time soon, and dont think dante is in their priority list since Dante user probably lesser. nevertheless, lets wait and see. Price wise, HTP-1 is more expensive than AVR10/20 and closer to AV40 in singapore, but SDP55 price is much higher in Singapore, for that amount of money, Lyngdorf 2nd hand might be a better choice if SDP55 still remain buggy with next firmware upgrade. Just my thoughts.

• Like 1

• Administrator

It uses the same platform as the JBL/Arcam but seems to have a different department managing the firmware. Definitely more stable than the JBL/Arcam at the moment according to AVS forum users. It's got a better DAC than the other two from memory, and no Dante, but not sure what other differences if any.

as what Marc said, AC manage firmware differently, the version no also 0.01 higher (for example, version 1.39 for AC is the same as version 1.38 for Arcam/JBL) though the actual content is the same as Arcam/JBL. and seems there is some beta testing within AC before firmware release. In AVS less issues reported for AC X7/X9, but it could be also due to significantly less AC users, look at AVS AC X7/X9 thread, like a sleeping town, no much discussion there....

Edited by keai

X9 has the best dac (9038), but the price is very high too.

Both X7/X9 got tier 1 DLBC included if I remember correctly, better than Arcam but spec wise, SDP55 still the best. dont know whether Peng will introduce X7/X9 to singapore or not, lets see.

17 minutes ago, kopidilo said:

wow, looks interesting. With Dirac Live some more. I assume it can support the Dirac BM module? 

I believe you refer to DLBC (Dirac Live Bass Control), yes, Arcam/JBL/AC/Monoprice all support DLBC, but Arcam and Monoprice need to pay for tier 1 and tier 2 license, cost USD499 and USD349, respectively if I am not wrong, however, DLBC is not working flawlessly in any of the above mentioned units yet, thats the worst part....

Edited by keai

12 minutes ago, Marc said:

Big update coming for JBL SDR-35/SDP-55 this week (v1.42) - probably for Arcam too.

Capture.JPG

wow, thats much faster than what they promised, thought new firmware wont be ready this month. have you tried it?

On 10/21/2020 at 3:12 PM, keai said:

.... however, DLBC is not working flawlessly in any of the above mentioned units yet, thats the worst part....

So bad ah... Wonder what's the issue they face..... 

Are there any other known brands that does  that didn't have issues with DLBC? 

25 minutes ago, kopidilo said:

So bad ah... Wonder what's the issue they face..... 

Are there any other known brands that does  that didn't have issues with DLBC? 

stormaudio seems doing well with DLBC

23 minutes ago, Marc said:

The release notes also mention you must download the latest version of Dirac Live, so there is likely some additional bug fixes relating to DLBM in there also.

lets see how is the response from Acarm/JBL users on new firmware, I would be very surprised if Arcam really manages to resolve the most funtion issues with 1.42, ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wechnivag said:

Isn't the monolith HTP1 US voltage - need to use a transformer in Singapore? 

Similarly the monolith power amps looks very good but same voltage issues... 

HTP-1 no need, 110/230, power amp yes, only 110

• Love 1

On 10/23/2020 at 12:51 PM, Marc said:

I haven't tried it yet (have to unplug the Trinnov so not easy to swap). Some beta testers have it already, but it should be officially released this week.

seems 1.42 firmware successfully resolved the atmos lock issue based on the user feedback, and more stable/usable than 1.40.

• Like 1

Change the title to "16 Channel Dirac Live Processor with Bass Control - Arcam/JBL Synthesis/AudioControl/Monoprice" so we are not limited to Monoprice HTP-1.

• Like 1