Speaker Cabinet Makers in Singapore

boogie6301

Are there members here from Singapore who know if there are any good speaker cabinet fabricators? I'm planning to get a DYI kit from GR Research. Shipping fully assembled or even with all parts disassembled would be substantial from the U.S. to Singapore. Just buying the driver and crossover parts would be considerably cheaper.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/19/2020 at 8:13 PM, boogie6301 said:

Are there members here from Singapore who know if there are any good speaker cabinet fabricators? I'm planning to get a DYI kit from GR Research. Shipping fully assembled or even with all parts disassembled would be substantial from the U.S. to Singapore. Just buying the driver and crossover parts would be considerably cheaper.

Which plans are you looking at? i can help u send to a guy and let him take a look.

On 10/25/2020 at 5:37 PM, decatech said:

Which plans are you looking at? i can help u send to a guy and let him take a look.

Do you have someone who is familiar with speaker box building?

I just walked into a carpenter shop near Kaki Bukit, one of those that renovate retail shops, and had a pair of boxes made (15mm MDF) for $500 ? which I though was expensive but that was due to some miscommunications earlier (he quoted $280 which I thought was for a pair but when collecting he said it's for one box only.......)

The boxes were a little more complex than the standard rectangular ones and had internal bracing and air tunnel.

1 hour ago, kptseng said:

Do you have someone who is familiar with speaker box building?

I just walked into a carpenter shop near Kaki Bukit, one of those that renovate retail shops, and had a pair of boxes made (15mm MDF) for $500 ? which I though was expensive but that was due to some miscommunications earlier (he quoted $280 which I thought was for a pair but when collecting he said it's for one box only.......)

The boxes were a little more complex than the standard rectangular ones and had internal bracing and air tunnel.

yes i do, he knows what we are talking about. but seriously base on your description of the box

, $500 a pair... if u go buy own materials, put in the sweat and time, u will still pay him $500 to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, synthesis1624705793 said:

Building pair of speaker cabinets with real wood finishing may take 25-30hrs. That price minus the material cost, the manhour rate is not much if you can appreciate custom built.

agree.

Sounds like 500 is still a reasonable price, I underestimated.

But seriously......... I’m not complaining so much about the price but the availability of such workshops who are willing to provide customised fabrication in small quantities, and I could understand it may not be economical for them to do, but it is just frustrating.

I went to Ubi to find someone who is willing to fabricate a set of aluminium base for my speakers, walked into a few signage shops and 2 aluminium window makers, no one wants to take the job ?

Anyone knows of any shops that can provide 10mm aluminium plates cut to size and shape?

Also, do you mind sharing your carpenter contact? Many thanks

Edited by kptseng

18 hours ago, kptseng said:

But seriously......... I’m not complaining so much about the price but the availability of such workshops who are willing to provide customised fabrication in small quantities, and I could understand it may not be economical for them to do, but it is just frustrating.

I went to Ubi to find someone who is willing to fabricate a set of aluminium base for my speakers, walked into a few signage shops and 2 aluminium window makers, no one wants to take the job ?

Anyone knows of any shops that can provide 10mm aluminium plates cut to size and shape?

I am referred to the below for metal fab.:

https://www.facebook.com/leplussolution/

i have not used them before but a friend told me they do small volume work and they are good at it. try contacting them but please come back here to update of outcome.

On 10/29/2020 at 9:37 AM, decatech said:

i have not used them before but a friend told me they do small volume work and they are good at it. try contacting them but please come back here to update of outcome.

Hi, many thanks for the contact.

I'm now working with Le-Plus on the final dimension and price.

My original intention was to have 2 sets of base using 10mm aluminium plate, 8 aluminium cones of 30mm diameter and 2 small back panel with 3mm aluminium for my bidding posts.

The first quote was way above my budget (as expensive as the cabinet) so I'm throwing out the cones (will find alternative on eBay, not ideal but will lower the cost), and the 10mm base plate will now be 6mm instead; 10mm would require CNC machining which is more costly and 6mm can go for laser cut.

They are very responsive and helpful. Though no work is finalised, but the customer experience has been very good.

Thanks again.

I'm also looking into getting one of these XLS Encores. 

If you're interested we can purchase the parts from GR together to share the shipping costs. 

Also I found a local shop which may be able to build the cabinet at $500 (22mm MDF + veneering), which I think is very reasonable. 

On 10/25/2020 at 5:37 PM, decatech said:

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. GR Research informed me that the parts are currently out of stock but I'm looking at this kit https://www.gr-research.com/store/p14/NX-Studio.html

I'm planning to pair it with their open baffle servo woofer https://www.gr-research.com/store/p22/Servo_Sub_Kit_4.html

GR Research provide the cabinet drawings for all their kits.

Thanks

14 hours ago, Dedii said:

I'm also looking into getting one of these XLS Encores. 

If you're interested we can purchase the parts from GR together to share the shipping costs. 

Also I found a local shop which may be able to build the cabinet at $500 (22mm MDF + veneering), which I think is very reasonable. 

I changed my mind to go for the higher end open baffle NX-Studio but they're currently out of stock on the parts. I plan to purchase the parts together with their subwoofer kit. I estimated the airfreight from the U.S. and it would be too much so I'm planning via sea freight route instead

Btw, I have been building custom speakers and subwoofers for many Bros here. Just for hobby. I'm fortunate enough to get a chance to work with so many fine drivers including Scanspeak, Seas, SB Acoustics, Peerless, Vifa, Wavecor, Fountek, Tang Band, HiVi, Acoustics Elegance, TC Sounds, CSS, Stereo Integrity, Dayton, Fostex, some Chinese drivers, and probably I missed couple more. 

My main speaker, don't ask me to build this kind of cabinet 

R1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 11/1/2020 at 10:22 AM, synthesis1624705793 said:

Btw, I have been building custom speakers and subwoofers for many Bros here. Just for hobby. I'm fortunate enough to get a chance to work with so many fine drivers including Scanspeak, Seas, SB Acoustics, Peerless, Vifa, Wavecor, Fountek, Tang Band, HiVi, Acoustics Elegance, TC Sounds, CSS, Stereo Integrity, Dayton, Fostex, some Chinese drivers, and probably I missed couple more. 

My main speaker, don't ask me to build this kind of cabinet 

R1.jpg

beautiful work!

On 10/29/2020 at 9:37 AM, decatech said:

Hello Everyone,

Thank you Bro Decatech for the contact; I just collected the aluminium base plates and cones, as well as the back plates for the binding posts.

Workmanship is great and I must say they exceeded my expectations.  Items were nicely packed when I collect them. Overall customer experience is great.

See pics: The plates are all laser cut and the cones are machine-turned (not sure if this is the correct term).

Cheers.

base.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 10/28/2020 at 3:16 PM, kptseng said:

I got some 10mm plate laser cut and powder coated at Sunny Metal.  Easy to work with, will do small jobs.  You will need a CAD drawing to give them though or be prepared to have them do CAD drawings based on a physical drawing which adds to their price

• 5 months later...

On 10/31/2020 at 2:11 PM, boogie6301 said:

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. GR Research informed me that the parts are currently out of stock but I'm looking at this kit https://www.gr-research.com/store/p14/NX-Studio.html

I'm planning to pair it with their open baffle servo woofer https://www.gr-research.com/store/p22/Servo_Sub_Kit_4.html

GR Research provide the cabinet drawings for all their kits.

Thanks

I have an LXmini kit on the way to be build and I'd like to pair it with the GR research Servo Sub kit 4 too. Would love to know how you got the cabinets made. Also did you go for the H frame or W frame design?

On 10/19/2020 at 10:42 PM, synthesis1624705793 said:

Wanna have a listen to my DIY speakers?

Hi Synthesis, I'm thinking of a new build using Rythmik 8" servo drivers. How do I get a hold of you? I can't mesage you here on StereoNet

Edited by WHO23

• 5 months later...

How much did you pay for the Lxmini kit with shipping? Sounds like it'd be a hefty bundle

On 04/07/2021 at 4:59 PM, WHO23 said:

I have an LXmini kit on the way to be build and I'd like to pair it with the GR research Servo Sub kit 4 too. Would love to know how you got the cabinets made. Also did you go for the H frame or W frame design?

Hi Synthesis, I'm thinking of a new build using Rythmik 8" servo drivers. How do I get a hold of you? I can't mesage you here on StereoNet