Goat Meat dishes in Singapore. Are they available anywhere?

Hello, it seems this topic has attracted a few people and turned very interesting and educational for self 🙂.

Anyway, I just called Bismillah Biryani Restaurant in Dunlop Street -  6935 1326 and the lady informed me that it is indeed kid goat for the mutton briyani and that the kid goat meat (tender & juicy, she said) is from Australia 😀. They do serve lamb meat as well but those are different dishes.

Ok, my experience eating this kid goat briyani was that the meat was indeed tender but I felt that it was slightly dry but it was also very tasty. As for the slightly dry bit, I had it around 3pm+ as a late lunch so it is possible that while sitting in the pot for so long, it may have lost some of its juicy-ness? What I did not appreciate was that they served it with 'raita' instead of 'dalcha'. Perhaps I could have requested for 'dalcha' and believe, if they had, would have obliged. However, some may prefer 'raita', so to each his own.

Cheers

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For those who don't mind spending a bit more, Wakanui serves one of the best spring lamp chop at $10 a piece. The WAKANUI Spring Lamb Chop is the restaurant’s signature appetiser, and it’s

22 minutes ago, Boxerfan88 said:

Out of curiosity, what are the difference between old sheep meat vs goat meat?

Taste? Texture? Smell? Flavour?

I seldom eat red meat nowadays and it has been some time I had sheep/lamb, identified before consumption, so if memory serves me, sheep/lamb taste, flavour and smell is a little milder than goat's meat. Texture wise, its about the same, again if memory serves me well.

Another place where I believe one can get goat's meat briyani is at blk 17 Beach Road, opposite the hawker centre. The shop has not signage, only a long queue. The actual vendor is situated inside the coffee shop so if you are very early, you need to ask the people at the coffee shop of its location. This briyani is quite decent and judging by the usual long queues, quite popular, especially on Fridays and Sundays.

Cheers.

My impression on Goat is that they're skinny in built than sheeps.

So... after cooked, sheep meats should be more meatier than goat meats right? Becos of lesser... fats?

For those who don't mind spending a bit more, Wakanui serves one of the best spring lamp chop at $10 a piece.

wakanui-spring-lamb-chop.jpg

The WAKANUI Spring Lamb Chop is the restaurant’s signature appetiser, and it’s made from lambs born in late winter. These lambs feast on the first shoots of grass that emerge in early Spring and produce very lean muscles. They are then processed at six months old (before they grow into adulthood), and as a result, the meat lacks the gamey taste that so many people associate with lamb.

The meat is wet-aged long enough for enzymes to tenderise the meat, and then flash frozen so it retains the same quality and flavour all year-round. In the kitchen at WAKANUI, the lamb is grilled over binchotan charcoal imported from Japan, with no flare, and seasoned with Christmas Island salt; pink, black and white pepper; and fine coriander powder.

Edited by jonlee
On 10/22/2020 at 4:42 PM, dong said:

I seldom eat red meat nowadays and it has been some time I had sheep/lamb, identified before consumption, so if memory serves me, sheep/lamb taste, flavour and smell is a little milder than goat's meat. Texture wise, its about the same, again if memory serves me well.

Another place where I believe one can get goat's meat briyani is at blk 17 Beach Road, opposite the hawker centre. The shop has not signage, only a long queue. The actual vendor is situated inside the coffee shop so if you are very early, you need to ask the people at the coffee shop of its location. This briyani is quite decent and judging by the usual long queues, quite popular, especially on Fridays and Sundays.

Cheers

The beach road store served very nice biryani indeed. 

• 1 month later...

Its 3rd hand information (a friend spoke to a Tekka market stall owner friend) but apparently what passes for lamb and mutton depends on how much the seller thinks they can get for it. Mutton from a sheep is cheaper and gamier meat than from the same animal when it is young (a lamb). So they will sell mutton for the cheaper price (foreleg or rear leg), if the customer wants lamb then they sell them the foreleg of mutton as it is smaller and looks like it came from a lamb.

I would hate to find out the above is true but I think there is more than an element of truth to it.

Lamb is usually much less gamy and with a finer grain and mouth feel.

Lamb (less than 1yr old)-> lamb meat 

Yearling (1-2 yr old sheep)-> yearling mutton

Mutton (2-3 yr old sheep)-> mutton.

• 3 months later...