What makes a hifi system?

An ex forum member fwd me this msg. I'm posting it here for discussion. Hope he returns one day ?

"Have you ever wonder a question like this ?

What is HiFi System ?
What are properties that a system must process before it's qualified as a hifi system. 

Most of incompetent people I've met say :  *different taste*.

I beg to differ. 

Prawn mee without prawn or mee is not prawn mee."

For me, a hifi system consist of components that are not mass produced  for the general population in mind but for those who want their music to be reproduced as accurately as possible. And no, they dont have to be expensive.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Chowbotak said:

...Most of incompetent people I've met say :  *different taste*.

I beg to differ. 

Prawn mee without prawn or mee is not prawn mee."

It's true that different folks, different strokes... Or, in beer term, not every taste buds like the Buds.

I like my prawn soup well balanced, not too salty, not too sweet(due to rock sugar), not too "prawny freshy" which will turn my buds away. Fidelity have to be there, bass hv to be soft and deep, but not boxy boomy that will kill the tonal balance of Tchaikovsky's 1812 overture, too high that makes the Four Seasons sound too heaty.

However, what my ear decides and acknowledges, doesn't mean your ears will agree.

Hi fi > High Fidelity = Reproduced of the original signal with minimum drift 

Only ur own hearing could tells u if sq of a particular setup consider a hifi system to u 

Yeah, above somewhat come back to ‘different taste’

HiFi System is equivalent to "Poisons" ,  is a substances that cause when listening to others setup better then your own, or trying to own lots of CD & vinyls as you can afford , this will always injury or harm to your own bank account at the end of the day.

*different taste*, is just a mind game, as long as you like it... it the best sounding.

Hifi is just a hobby, something you would like to enjoy.  and human is also a curious creature.

Enjoyment can be many levels, that's why one cannot be satisfied til he finds a hifi nirvana. Or sometimes it depends on size of ego.

I prefer to call it music system to keep myself sane.

So hifi is a system that let u have that enjoyment or music nirvana.

Edited by Colossus

Those who are into this hobby for a very long time will know, HiFi is a serious hobby and is a never ending one.

The pursuit of the best sound possible never ends. Until we get sick of the hobby maybe?

Just when we thought we have our "end game" system - the mind wanders and we end up upgrading something, be it changing wires, adding accessories, adding components, or changing speakers altogether.

If you can be happy with your system - whatever you have CAN BE  HiFi if, TO YOU it produces a high fidelity sound.

Most of the time our mind is never happy anyway haha......

On 10/14/2020 at 2:04 PM, Chowbotak said:

For me, a hifi system consist of components that are not mass produced  for the general population in mind but for those who want their music to be reproduced as accurately as possible. And no, they dont have to be expensive.

So how to define accurate? Back to square,  different people might have different definitions of  “accurately” in their mind , even prawn mee also have fried prawn mee and soup prawn mee lah?

To me Hifi is just some electrical hardware that able to produce sound .

..... the different is some higher end product able to produce more information (frequency range , resolution, Marco and Macho dynamic range etc) , some lower end one present less information from the software. (Different price range of Prawn and different type of mee)

And than there are some prefer music playback in brighter or darker, upfront or laidback , drier or airy etc etc.......... those are “personal preference”, (fried, soup , chilli ,tomato sauce... ) nothing right or wrong ?

Edited by joamonte

Haha yes, "accurate" is also subjective. Someone mentioned in echoloft long ago that hifi reproduction shd be akin to that of an unamplified live band. My questions were, an unamplified live band playing in what kind of room? how big a room? how far away from the listener? And then we also know that most recordings are processed and does not represent how the music sounded like when recorded. End of the day, we just enjoy our hobby as much as we can

56 minutes ago, Chowbotak said:

Haha yes, "accurate" is also subjective. Someone mentioned in echoloft long ago that hifi reproduction shd be akin to that of an unamplified live band. My questions were, an unamplified live band playing in what kind of room? how big a room? how far away from the listener? And then we also know that most recordings are processed and does not represent how the music sounded like when recorded. End of the day, we just enjoy our hobby as much as we can

ok, as long as you dun call this hifi.

wild-fi is more apt.

A great hifi must be in synchronicity with the owner liking, note I did not use the word. Must offen or not, 99.99 out of 10 this does not happen. Then you may say Why Bother! In the rare occasion that it does (  which pc goes where, your power grid is in agreement with you, All the VTA, SRA, over hang, under hang, impedance matches.) Goosebumps rise, soundstage so real you can walk into, Touch Teresa Teng, times slow Down and maybe for the first time songs that you have being playing in your system for ages , you begin to be able to read lyrics , understand diction, message and intent of song, tears flows. It can even feel better than sex.?

Edited by malsound

23 hours ago, malsound said:

A great hifi must be in synchronicity with the owner liking, note I did not use the word. Must offen or not, 99.99 out of 10 this does not happen. Then you may say Why Bother! In the rare occasion that it does (  which pc goes where, your power grid is in agreement with you, All the VTA, SRA, over hang, under hang, impedance matches.) Goosebumps rise, soundstage so real you can walk into, Touch Teresa Teng, times slow Down and maybe for the first time songs that you have being playing in your system for ages , you begin to be able to read lyrics , understand diction, message and intent of song, tears flows. It can even feel better than sex.?

Just to add “jaw drop” ?

• Like 1

On 10/17/2020 at 1:15 PM, Chowbotak said:

Frankly, I don't even give a flying **** what is considered hifi or what is  not. What I care most about is tat I enjoy my hifi and I really fuxking do. Fcuking missed it whenever I am not at home ?

please change the title to this thread....

wild-fi or hi-fi?

Edited by jerome_the_lang

Guest francishuang
10 minutes ago, Chowbotak said:

PMed you. Ok $100, what LP shd I buy with it? ?

Use the $100 and buy lp from him. He has many gd stuffs