(also) restarting my audio journey: integrated amp recommendations?

4 hours ago, hifi_enthusiast said:

Got the Parasound. Family members are happy because easy to use and familiar button/dial layout like my previous Marantz.

Bass management is easy to use and happy that there's a dedicated subwoofer level dial on the front panel so that I can easily increase bass volume if needed (eg: movies vs music)

Initial impressions are positive. Most noticeable is the improved back/front soundstaging. But it definitely benefits from warm-up before proper listen.

Great ? 

I like the extensive features of this amp though I ended up with Yamaha. ?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, hifi_enthusiast said:

As I'm using my PC to send data via USB to the DAC, I reset my APO Equalizer curves except for the confirmed 44Hz room mode where I applied I modest filter. Hope to do a proper round of subwoofer calibration with REW over the weekend.

Sama sama. 44Hz boom due to 4m x 4m square room eh?

Question on APO Equalizer, I came across it, does the software processes the audio signal outside of the shared sound path (Directshow/Windows mixer)?

I chose to use foobar2000 on a PC with MathAudio Room EQ DSP plugin. Very easy to measure and EQ out the monster 44Hz peak.

REQ2.png.5435a78b8c72f887f02aeb699f02c52a.png

Edited by Boxerfan88

On 10/21/2020 at 9:13 PM, Boxerfan88 said:

Sama sama. 44Hz boom due to 4m x 4m square room eh?

Question on APO Equalizer, I came across it, does the software processes the audio signal outside of the shared sound path (Directshow/Windows mixer)?

I chose to use foobar2000 on a PC with MathAudio Room EQ DSP plugin. Very easy to measure and EQ out the monster 44Hz peak.

Sorry, I not that familiar enough to know about Directshow/Window mixer....  still learning after getting back into the hobby, a lot of things I need to learn ?

(1) I only recently installed the Foobar HDCD plugin.. and discovered that I have some ripped CDs that were not advertised as HDCD but were HDCD encoded.  (Foobar says the first Stefanie Sun album is HDCD encoded...)

(2) When I played netflix I got no sound from the Parasound, lucky got google to tell me to go to the device manager settings to turn off dolby digital.

Edited by hifi_enthusiast

My current Proac bookshelves are 7+yrs old . pondering an upgrade... I have going to have to clear leave soon, can't leave Singapore, so maybe speaker auditioning gives me something to do ?

As i've been out of the hifi scene for a long time, your advice would be greatly appreciated.

What bookshelf I should audition for $5k-$10k? Must be good with female vocals. The Proac sound is nice but I also like the sound of Focal speakers (car audio, headphones).

B+W  805 D3, Focal Kanta 1, Proac D2R?

Edited by hifi_enthusiast

18 hours ago, hifi_enthusiast said:

My current Proac bookshelves are 7+yrs old . pondering an upgrade... I have going to have to clear leave soon, can't leave Singapore, so maybe speaker auditioning gives me something to do ?

As i've been out of the hifi scene for a long time, your advice would be greatly appreciated.

What bookshelf I should audition for $5k-$10k? Must be good with female vocals. The Proac sound is nice but I also like the sound of Focal speakers (car audio, headphones).

Come, listen to my speaker.

Well below your mentioned budget 

?

On 10/31/2020 at 11:21 AM, synthesis1624705793 said:

I can sell my spare speaker. I advertised you never checked ?

I can also build you new one per your budget

i try not to look at the advertisements! which will usually cause me to buy things i want but don't need. 

?

On 10/29/2020 at 11:29 PM, hifi_enthusiast said:

Here are some suggestions for you taking into account that you like Focal speakers :-

1. Focal Diablo Utopia (there is a preowned one being sold by Kenny Audio in Adelphi that is within your price range)

2. SB Acoustics Ara BE 

3. Nola (check with Horizon Acoustics - they have some high end models being cleared at a discount)

4. Vivid S12 

I've not heard the new KEF LS50 Meta although I have a pair of the LS50. Worth checking out too, especially if they have made the HF more extended on the revised model. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kinger said:

bro @synthesis1624705793, any smallish sealed box bookshelf that can do 28khz ~ 60hz?

Why have to be sealed, and why so zhun 28khz? 

I normally build speaker to maximize possible bass extension given the woofer capability and the cabinet size constraint. 60hz bass extension not enough for me...haha... 

Interested in this? Ported cabinet with good tweeter, high end woofer, low end price ?

Bass can go under 40Hz and will fit your footer, too. ?

Sorry for the advertisement.....

15W-SB.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, synthesis1624705793 said:

Why have to be sealed, and why so zhun 28khz? 

I normally build speaker to maximize possible bass extension given the woofer capability and the cabinet size constraint. 60hz bass extension not enough for me...haha... 

Interested in this? Ported cabinet with good tweeter, high end woofer, low end price ?

Bass can go under 40Hz and will fit your footer, too. ?

Sorry for the advertisement.....

15W-SB.jpg

Aiyo...i thought custom built speaker can cater to my needs...no need exact measurement and a sealed box meets my needs as i have a sub to handle the low extension...