TCL QLED TV (C71, C81)

Anyone using the C71 or C81 TV? What's your experience?

I just pulled the trigger for the 50C716 on Shopee, nice price after stacking some vouchers, hopefully it turns out to be a good decision.

This is to replace the outgoing E55, and hopefully plays nice with Zidoo Z9X too.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't you also consider the new TCL R635 mini-led QLED that selling below 1k for the 55"? I saw many good reviews.

I guess it isn’t sold in SG. I looked it up, and R635 is a Roku unit meant for US market, rather than Android TV. Can’t find the R635 on Shopee or Lazada or TCL SG website.

After reading the rtings review, it is my guess that R635=C81, R535=C71.

I bought the C71 because of the nice stacked voucher pricing that brought the unit below $800.

Also the C81 is not yet launched in SG I think, cannot seem to find it on sale anywhere; but it is listed on TCL SG website. Maybe C81 launching soon...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U know well that TCL TVs' warranty is limited when compared to other major brands right?

TCL warranty cannot even be compared to what PRISM+ may offer as well.

I thought u were eyeing on the SHARP 50incher?

I'm quite surprised that after few months of ownership, PRISM+ couldn't stay with u for long...

U know well that TCL TVs' warranty is limited when compared to other major brands right?

TCL warranty cannot even be compared to what PRISM+ may offer as well.

I thought u were eyeing on the SHARP 50incher?

I'm quite surprised that after few months of ownership, PRISM+ couldn't stay with u for long...

I was actually very happy with the E55, and P+ customer support is top notch. Since they offered me to return the unit due to EDID issue, I accepted. I am still their customer because I am still using the recently acquired W280 monitor and monitor arms. I am thankful for their offer, as it leaves a lasting impression on me, and I will wholeheartedly recommend P+.

While shopping for the replacement, I wanted to stay within the original budget as far as possible. It was not to be, I had to stretch the budget a little. It was down to TCL, Sharp, Panasonic.

Panasonic TH-55HX740S had 1+2 years warranty, priced above $1K.

Sharp 4TC50BK1X had 3 years warranty, spec wise looks good, and priced at the $1K level.

TCL 50C716 had 1+2 years warranty, had good reviews online, spec wise ticked all the boxes, and had Dolby Vision to boot. I went to IMM and saw the C716 on display, and the QLED display looked really good. I was also comparing with 55C8US which also looks very good (promo priced at $900).

Last night I stumbled on a limited qty sale on Shopee, with stacked 10% discount and platform vouchers brought the 50C716 price way below $800, therefore I pulled the trigger. Too bad I couldn't get the Thursday DBS/POSB voucher (all gone by the time I transacted).

Wish me luck that the unit works well for 3 years or more, and plays nice with Z9X.  :)

3efaecdc78cd190a1168b8e1682e4949.jpg

Free to air channel. Looks good. The deeper blacks really make the picture pop.

Certainly a good level of blacks there... However, without seeing in person, just by looking at your picture, i couldn't determine is ur camera fault or the color saturation of ur TV. Flesh tone of this AngMohBuu is just too... Orangey. The contrast also seems kind of too high that the white lamps seems to glare alot.

I think I'll hv to pop by Tampines Giant to further verify on the color liaoz.

Certainly a good level of blacks there... However, without seeing in person, just by looking at your picture, i couldn't determine is ur camera fault or the color saturation of ur TV. Flesh tone of this AngMohBuu is just too... Orangey. The contrast also seems kind of too high that the white lamps seems to glare alot.

I think I'll hv to pop by Tampines Giant to further verify on the color liaoz.

Yeah, it’s the straight out of the box setting. I am still getting the hang of it.

The behaviour of “SmartHDR” and “Movie” is very different.

Adding to the complication, Z9X also does its own processing. Therefore I connected my old trusty Kodi/RPi 1080p to the TV so that I can play SDR and understand the TV color behaviour (without Z9X interfering).

I need a few days to understand the behaviour before I tweak.

1 more question, is this a Smart or Android TV?

It's Android TV (running Android 9/Pie) with Chromecast & Google Assistant built-in. If one is worried about privacy, there is a microphone switch at the back to disable Google Assistant's microphone.

Note: Android TV OS isn't the same as Android Phone OS, some of the phone apps (eg. meWatch) cannot be found on Android TV's Google Play Store.