Does ethernet cable between router n streamer matter

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^^^^^^^^^

buy buy buy!

I think I bought already this much of elecom LAN cables (maybe more, the boxes deep inside store room)

CAT7 standard 1m - 2pc

CAT7 standard 5m - 1pc

CAT7 Shielded 2m - 2pc

CAT7 Flat type 5m - 1pc

CAT8 Shielded 1m - 4pc

CAT8 Shielded 2m - 2pc

CAT8 Shielded 3m - 2pc

CAT8 Shielded 5m - 3pc

Every single pc i checked directionality and found all to be correct when connected in the same direction as the printed words on the cable jacket.

I think can safely assume if you connect yours in the same direction as the printed words then signal flow directionality should be correct also.

thanks for sharing!

dumb qn; this means 'E' on elecom (printed on the cable) should be FROM router, 'M' should be closer to streamer, right?

That is No dif in digital bits on the transmtion and recovery , but there is a change in sound on the receiving device vs clock good or bad ? let your heart and ear decide . $300 for that even cat( on the way to come ) i will change the switch and router on a yearly basic as a cable after time also will change it sound.

go buy the same cable in one ream of 100m, one ream terminate both end at 100m , the other ream cut into 50m and terminate with the same connector as the 100m and the bal cut into 2 x 25m ,one 25m use the same connector as the 100m and 50m and the last 25m you can use the most expensive connector you can find .

Now you hv 4 same cable but 3 are same connector and a shorter 25m with expensive connector , try it on your system they will sound dif and will not cost you that much , coil up the 100m and let it loosse all over on floor also will sound dif , have fun......

Just a question, say the music in the usb thumbstick is connected to the router and the router is connected to the streamer via LAN cable, will it sound different when the music data from the router is transmitted to the streamer during playback via different LAN cables?

I can actually skip the router and plug the thumbstick into the streamer.....this will totally avoid the router to streamer LAN cable headache...

I still believe the clock is the ultimate sound differentiator in converting the 1,0,1,0 properly.

Even if you plug the USB TD directly into your streamer, the LAN cable connected to router will still make a difference.

Besides changing to an audiophile network switch, the cheaper solution is to use a standalone switch just for audio purpose.

Meaning do not connect any audio devices directly to router. Only to this dedicated network switch.

And do not connect other non audio devices to this dedicated network switch.

Another step up is to use a better PSU to power this standalone switch.

Another step up is to introduce fiber to isolate the Streamer from the rest of the network.

Just a question, say the music in the usb thumbstick is connected to the router and the router is connected to the streamer via LAN cable, will it sound different when the music data from the router is transmitted to the streamer during playback via different LAN cables?

I can actually skip the router and plug the thumbstick into the streamer.....this will totally avoid the router to streamer LAN cable headache...

I still believe the clock is the ultimate sound differentiator in converting the 1,0,1,0 properly.

I think I bought already this much of elecom LAN cables (maybe more, the boxes deep inside store room)

Every single pc i checked directionality and found all to be correct when connected in the same direction as the printed words on the cable jacket.

I think can safely assume if you connect yours in the same direction as the printed words then signal flow directionality should be correct also.

Nice collection. I used to go to Japan to buy, even have those 20cm ones. Didn't realise they have that much choices here since Elecom stopped having their own store.

Thanks for the directionality tip too.

Even if you plug the USB TD directly into your streamer, the LAN cable connected to router will still make a difference.

Besides changing to an audiophile network switch, the cheaper solution is to use a standalone switch just for audio purpose.

Meaning do not connect any audio devices directly to router. Only to this dedicated network switch.

And do not connect other non audio devices to this dedicated network switch.

Another step up is to use a better PSU to power this standalone switch.

Another step up is to introduce fiber to isolate the Streamer from the rest of the network.

Would it be better to pull the fiber cable from the openet point all the way to the streamer and use a FMC connecting to the streamer?

Currently, the modem is acting as a FMC which converts the fiber optic signal to RJ45 LAN signal and distribute via the in-wall LAN cables and points, then through the router LAN to the streamer. Effectively if you say LAN cable is a diference, then need to hack the wall to change the whole house LAN cables...

Yes

[Router] => ELECOM => [streamer]

thanks. works great! the cable is very  nice and solid, easy to shape around bends and corners.

i don't know if it's placebo, but everything sounds fuller, but how is that possible? shielded cables? i think my previous ones were like $5 ones from cable shop, quite sure they weren't shielded.

Would it be better to pull the fiber cable from the openet point all the way to the streamer and use a FMC connecting to the streamer?

Currently, the modem is acting as a FMC which converts the fiber optic signal to RJ45 LAN signal and distribute via the in-wall LAN cables and points, then through the router LAN to the streamer. Effectively if you say LAN cable is a diference, then need to hack the wall to change the whole house LAN cables...

so serious boh, no need hack wall everything bah.

Well, you can ask for a relocation of TP point from your respective ISP.

thanks. works great! the cable is very  nice and solid, easy to shape around bends and corners.

i don't know if it's placebo, but everything sounds fuller, but how is that possible? shielded cables? i think my previous ones were like $5 ones from cable shop, quite sure they weren't shielded.

just saying...so many houses nowadays with built-in wirings...

This is a very interesting topic indeed. And u will always see two groups, one section who will say just grab that free Ethernet cable that came with the router, and another group who would experiment

I used to belong to the group who don’t like to spend on cables . It’s just 0 and 1. That was my thinking, once upon a time ... lol

Just last week Sunday, I had a shootout with a friend at home, on power cords. And boy they were very very obvious. So no doubt about that, PC also does make a difference . It was a blind test and the results were unanimous. I was seated at a location in the corner where bass energy was accumulating , it was very obvious in my experience

Back to the Ethernet cable.

In swapping around the cables, CAT6,7,8 and Brands etc, I do notice they sound different . Did I hear more details ? Not really. But the signature of it sounded slightly different. Did it provide more clarity ? Hardly...

Comparing my Ethernet cable test vs Power Cords test, the latter had a significant difference in quality . A good PC improves not only clarity, dynamics, sound stage, but also controls the Low end extremely well. The resonances were gone , I repeat, entirely disappeared with a good PC. And it retained that good energy whilst cleaning up the sound. I never experienced something as significant on Ethernet cables though

Even with a LPS on to the router, I hardly noticed any difference. That’s maybe because the power feeding into the system is already as clean as u can get.

So ya, my personal experience, Power Cords = significant, Ethernet cables = not much difference

sorry i think possibly it's my amp burning in...  ;D ;D ;D

No group buy? [emoji12]

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

no good bye...it's good buy...northpoint challenger fully stocked (10m, 5m, 3m, 2m, 1m)....many boxes to choose from... ;D

Should have bought the 5m...3m still can make do with it lah....

Ya entirely possible. Here is sharing another experience I had in the past.

On my very first interconnects used, I got some entry emotiva interconnect for HT use. Later I swapped this out for the more expensive mogami 2803. The improvement was highly noticeable. Along the way, came plixir elite conditioner. When I started using the conditioner, I noticed that the mogami 2803 interconnect, didn’t provide as significant an improvement over the normal rca cable. The improvements brought upon by the plixir, took away whatever significant benefits I had on the interconnect .the benefit was no longer as significant

I then started diving deeper into the subject of noise

It’s then rather evident, a lot of these noise or emi being picked up by the cable or equipment , plays a role in how the end results worked out . They are the biggest culprit . So the construction of the cables, along with its material, and termination etc all factors into that

Let's put it this way, I have seen the sausage factory.

If you are streaming from spotify or Tidal, the data interconnects in between your streamer and the source server sure wont be audiophile grade.

The server itself will be a time sliced, shared resource run by AWS or some cloud provider.

The TCP stream will be sliced and chopped into multiple pieces, travel along different paths, arrive out of order and reassembled on the fly by the intermediate routers.

I not sure how the last mile piece of wire is able to compensate for all the mangling that has happen from the datacenter to our houses.

Enjoy the journey and most importantly, enjoy the music!

Think I will go back to Challenger to exchange for the 5m length...the reason why I bought these "exotic" CAT 8 cables mainly is to replace my 3m CAT 6 cable which is a bit too short to run nicely along the floor/wall so as to reduce WAF reverb... ;D :D ;D :D

ps: Wife Acceptance Factor (WAF)

thanks for the recommendation guys

got a few to try out - let it burn for about 1 day.

din work for me in my system

if any bro here wanna try it out - i have 2 x 2m and 2 x 1m to let go at a good price

inbox me if u wanna try

Thanks