Does ethernet cable between router n streamer matter

Hi guys, I am looking to buy an audiophile grade ethernet cable, price range within $300

Came across below article on ethernet cable shootout, editor conclusion was “Although it may not be exactly what you want to hear, for the router/streamer connection please feel free to use any RJ-45 cable that is on hand.”

http://www.audiodrom.net/en/special-edition-reviews/104-ethernet-rj-45-cables-shootout

Deriving from your experiences, may I ask for your advices if you agreed to above conclusion

Thank you in advance for your time

Best regards,

Allen

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if you can return it if you are not happy with the result go for it, but I have yet to hear a difference between Ethernet cables in my setup. Ymmv of course, and in the end it’s only your ears you have to please.

Audiophile grade ethernet cables in my experience sometimes accentuates certain aspect of the music making it sound "impressive" on first listening - eg exaggerated high, enhanced bass etc.

After having only audiophile grade ethernet cables in my systems for a long time - I replaced them with normal (cheapo) cables and was surprised how balanced and natural music sounded. To a certain extent - I think it boils down to personal preference.

Try this elecom LD-OCTT/BM10 1m CAT8 cable sold in best denki or challenger

Screenshot-20200925-075523-Samsung-Internet.jpg

I using between ONT to router and router to streamer/bluray/Mio box

Very very good. Very directional. Follow the printed words on the jacket

Takes a few hours to run in.

1m cost less than $30

I got 1m, 2m, 3m, 5m, lengths. All very good.

IMHO, there is no such thing as thing as “audiophile ethernet cable”. The IEEE standards doesn’t include any subset specifications that “turns” a regular Cat 6, 6a, 7 or 8 into a “audiophile ethernet cable”.

Yes, not all Ethernet are made equal and you will get faster speed by upgrading from Cat 6 to another grade of shielded or unshielded cable.

However, in the real world, your actual Ethernet speed depends on many factors and it is possible that we’ll never see gigabit speeds no matter what hardware and cables we deploy in our setup.

1m cost less than $30

^^^

thanks for sharing! will check it out! possibly one of the cheapest hacks/tweaks.

to TS, thanks for asking! i too was wondering, cos i just picked up a nord streamer dac couple of weeks ago, and using a regular lan cable i found in the storeroom.

Avoid flat type of ethernet cable at all cost. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Could u explain reason why

Thanks in advance for your advices

Best regards,

Allen

Could u explain reason why

Best regards,

Allen

They tend to sound thin with lack of body. They don't sound musical at all. YMMV

1m cost less than $30

Is this made in Japan?

Cat 8 is used for 40 Gigabit Ethernet copper connection. Only used in datacenters.

Hardly any homes have 10GE switches.

For the moment, Cat6a for home use if more than enough.

They tend to sound thin with lack of body. They don't sound musical at all. YMMV

i also got tried flat cat7 cable from elecom vs their thicker shielded cat7 cable.

the flat one doesn't sound nice at all. dunno why.

on the other hand, the sony flat type hdmi cable sounds very good.

i see the box behind says made in china  ;D

Saw there were standard n slim version, which should I be getting?

Best regards

Allen

If you have time you can go down to LHS at Sim Lim Tower to buy a few different ethernet cables (Catxx and brands) to try out.  LHS sells other cables as well, I bought a few Belden power and speaker cables from them as well.  They do termination for all the cables (power, speakers, ethernet) I bought from them.  You may need to call them to check if they can help you to terminate on the spot.  FYI, due to their main business the cables sold by LHS are certified ones.

The raw ethernet cables are very cheap, I used to pay $4 for 2m length Belden Cat6 UTP cables (standard and not shielded) including connectors many years ago.

As I only do audio streaming via LAN connections at home, I was also curious about how ethernet cables can affect audio as well.  Since the ethernet cables were rather cheap so I bought a few different ones to try out.

After trying out various cables from what I already got and those I bought from LHS, I did notice some minor changes in sound.  I prefer shielded STP Cat5e cables I have as compared to other unshielded ones (both Cat5e and Cat6).

Anyway, if the cables are cheap enough then no harm trying out.  Can or cannot hear the difference will depend on the sensitivities of your ears and your equipment.