Desktop Music Appreciation: Factors that affect the sound

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, can't expect S40 to be as good

I still like the feedback of Esotar vs top end tweeter. But have a feeling that even higher end Esotar 3 can't match those B&W Diamond.

Yes, can't expect S40 to be as good

I still like the feedback of Esotar vs top end tweeter. But have a feeling that even higher end Esotar 3 can't match those B&W Diamond.

To me the diamond/beryllium tweeter is more sensitive to lower resolution music if it's sux it will sound rubbish...vocal don't sound solid and full must feed cds, wav or flac to get the full effect... as compare to dynaudio dome tweeter is more forgiving doesn't go as high but smooth so it depends on what you listening to.....for all round dynaudio is better you can use youtube to listen to music no issue

Ya i use it to play some games yesterday the soundstage sounded was wider than before playing horizon zero dawn i can hear my character's footstep clearly and birds chipping away above......really is a immersive experience like i using sound surround on my desktop 

Great to see so many other fellow desktop nearfield bros!

Anyone delved into room correction? i am trying to figure out how to incorporate it in the most brain-dead manner. Read about the paradigm PW amp and PW link but it seems they can't be used as a "turn-key" digital solution (i.e. connect from PC toslink to PW link, then toslink to external DAC, to preamp etc).

Read up a bit on REW/DIRAC software as well, but needless to say, it gave me a major migraine. Ideally, would like a software based (jriver plugin?) solution so I can continue to use my gear (i.e. DAC, amp, speakers)

After 30+ hours of using it think the diamond tweeter now sounds better than when it was first out of the box....now thinking of using primaluna evo 100 tube DAC wonder is that a great dac compare to chord qutest

Js0CGuhl.jpg

wow nice setup - what amp are you using to drive those b&ws? Can't comment on the primaluna tube DAC; but i also have a chord qutest DAC

wow nice setup - what amp are you using to drive those b&ws? Can't comment on the primaluna tube DAC; but i also have a chord qutest DAC

am getting naim supernait 3 w/high cap to pair up with them next year right now using roksan and 851N as dac how's the sound of a chord qutest?  thinking of using that with supernait 3 to run these if it sound great....primaluna dac long term usage must change tube after a few years

am getting naim supernait 3 w/high cap to pair up with them next year right now using roksan and 851N as dac how's the sound of a chord qutest?  thinking of using that with supernait 3 to run these if it sound great....primaluna dac long term usage must change tube after a few years

I suppose all boils down to system synergy; tbh I expected the chord qutest to sound analytical and "bright" from reading various sources but was pleasantly surprised that wasn't the case (but then again, my gear leans on  "warmer" sounding; guess easier to illustrate graphically). my "battlestation" below:-

HL3EDUUl.jpg

I suppose all boils down to system synergy; tbh I expected the chord qutest to sound analytical and "bright" from reading from various sources but was pleasantly surprised that wasn't the case (but then again, my gear leans on  "warmer" sounding; guess easier to illustrate graphically). my "battlestation" below:-

https://imgur.com/HL3EDUU

Wow cool desktop setup....i waiting for my soildsteel rack so i could place my gears like u at below computer table....and those are beyerdynamic t5p used to have those i sold it away 

I suppose all boils down to system synergy; tbh I expected the chord qutest to sound analytical and "bright" from reading various sources but was pleasantly surprised that wasn't the case (but then again, my gear leans on  "warmer" sounding; guess easier to illustrate graphically). my "battlestation" below:-

HL3EDUUl.jpg

wah this one really going for battle!!!  :o :o :o

Thanks for the picture.

My main problem is the min. comfortable viewing distance need to be at least 1 meter away from the screen.

But having a big screen is fun.

Thanks for the picture.

My main problem is the min. comfortable viewing distance need to be at least 1 meter away from the screen.

But having a big screen is fun.

You can always get a recliner with table top to place a wireless keyboard and mouse....big screen pair well with big speaker hmmmm.....reminds me got one forum a guy laugh at me when he saw my speakers big and my tv screen are small....afterall who says i used tv haha.........

My desktop ultra nearfield setup:

uc?export=download&id=1pT-V4i_8UhxlhePJ9qoAJaANd9e8KV5d

I used to do Ambiophonics DSP so that I can sit further away (about 2m+) but still get precise and wide soundstage. Crosstalk cancellation is really awesome for small space, but that's a topic for another day.

Now I just do nearfield, equilateral triangle of 80cm.

For desktop setups, a few things I think worth paying attention to:

• Table top: if a speaker is placed on a table, the table surface can & will (1) resonate with the speakers thus muffling the sound, and (2) become a giant panel speaker further muffling the sound. It will sound warm and boomy. Ikea Glasholm table top was chosen for its vibration damping properties---laminated-double-layer-glass behaves like constrained layer damping. It is super inert when one knocks on it, only problem is it is reflective and 1st reflection should be treated. Lerberg legs was a nice surprise. It's wobbly and created a mass-spring system with very low natural frequency... meaning additional vibration control.

• Isolating the speakers: IsoAcoustics is surprisingly effective. Especially the one below subwoofer, isolated it from the floor and reduce boomy bass significantly. Apparently concrete surfaces can act as a sound source if it is excited. The chopping board above the speakers is to add weight the speakers/IsoAcoustics stand and lower the natural frequency, sound less shouty.

• Sadly no space to put the amp on the desk, so it's on the floor.

• The blue microfibre cloths are make-shift absorbers to reduce reflection from monitor (also prevent people putting things on top of the speakers).

• Snake oil warning. I love tweaks: 2 USB regenerators, crystal-based power filter, all sorts of cables (bought & self made), power filter to isolate laptop/monitor power, footers etc.

• Speaking of footers, I've tried cheap carbon fibre pucks, aluminium tubes filled with crystals, fake Ceraballs. My conclusion is that since every object has its own natural frequency (depending on weight, size, shape, material), all of them will impart a sound---due to (1) it absorbs some frequencies, (2) allows others to pass through, (3) resonates with some frequencies. If one is tuning his setup, then by all means exploit the footers respective properties. If you want to listen to actual sound of the equipment, the closest to neutral is a spring-mass system with natural frequency below music signal (e.g. below 5Hz) (IsoAcoustics stands are based on this principal), followed by constrained layer damping.
    cheap DIY way: http://www.barrydiamentaudio.com/vibration.htm or expensive commercial products:

• Since it's so nearfield, no acoustic treatment is not critical (nice to have), will consider bass trap  to deal with the room mode issue and other room treatments later.

Guest wusplay

Looking for a rack so that I can moves all the equipments under the table.

Cables management is so challenging. All the cables under the table are so messy.

uc?export=download&id=1jJGSW1aRng6nwx5oISdQCVZ8IXPPEnJT

Is a interesting design there are 2 modes to be place narrow soundstage mode where drivers facing near you or wide soundstage mode where drivers is further facing from you....there is a woofer driver at the back where they use tech from polk audio L200 and genelec where there is a panel to isolate it

• 1 month later...

Just as a devil's advocate. Are you all more interested in the gears or getting good sound? 

I know I'm more interested in gears than good sound that's why I keep changing gears for fun on my desktop setup. 

I ask because there is no way the drivers will integrate in super near field condition for larger speakers. 

The buchardt a500 definitely needs at least 2 meters for the sound to integrate, and the B&W 805 needs at least 1.5m I assume. 

So at a listening distance of less than 90cm, most 6.5inch speakers will not integrate with the tweeter. 

So when you say a more expensive and bigger speakers sound better in super near field, I'm not sure if you are really right. 

5inch speakers still the way to go below 1m, unless you have concentric speakers like kef 

Edited by yunie_

23 hours ago, Nae Nae said:

Just as a devil's advocate. Are you all more interested in the gears or getting good sound? 

I know I'm more interested in gears than good sound that's why I keep changing gears for fun on my desktop setup. 

I ask because there is no way the drivers will integrate in super near field condition for larger speakers. 

The buchardt a500 definitely needs at least 2 meters for the sound to integrate, and the B&W 805 needs at least 1.5m I assume. 

So at a listening distance of less than 90cm, most 6.5inch speakers will not integrate with the tweeter. 

So when you say a more expensive and bigger speakers sound better in super near field, I'm not sure if you are really right. 

5inch speakers still the way to go below 1m, unless you have concentric speakers like kef 

There is a distance away just that you can't see it i can stretch out my arms and can't touch my speakers as well from my sitting position.......my odyssey is a 32" monitor my keyboard is on the edge of the table and mouse.....when playing games i used xbox controller not keyboard and mouse....and listening to music from a distance so it doesn't affect me on what you stated....there's a lot ppl using high end speaker like magico a1, sopra n1 and wilson audio tunetot as well as nearfield it depend on how big is your table in terms of sitting position you can always move back.......

spacer.png

Edited by Amon86

• 3 weeks later...
Guest wusplay

uc?export=download&id=1w1UWOAI1nZ64I5GxW

Makeshift setup

Moving to new place. 

Waiting for desk, chair and hifi to come in by month end. 

Now temporary using Chord Mojo driving KEF and two mini sub. Sound OK.