Desktop Music Appreciation: Factors that affect the sound

I do a lot more work at home now so having a decent sound system playing whilst I work is a nice bonus.

I have some cans I bought: Senns HD 650, but it's nicer IMO to have a desktop system.

I've been using a KEF X300A and now I've just swopped in the LS 50 into my desktop system, powered by a Denon amp.

Pretty decent even though it's not specifically designed for nearfield listening.

I'm using some pretty hefty Audioquest speaker cables and their own 3.5mm to RCA cable. Very good bass heft too.

I find the method of connection matters as much as the cables / speakers etc. A digital source is stable and gives pure sound. Better than the wireless alternatives.

In such a nearfield PC listening, the table material matters too. I find MDF doesn't do too well in bass, for extension and stability. I'm using a solid pine desk and the sound is very impressive.

Other factors like the distance between the speakers and the distance to the seat also makes a difference. I don't toe in but the speakers are about 20" apart.

How about you?

I do toe in and aimed at my shoulders, then place my monitors of cheap Daiso EVA pads for some isolation.  Have a large gaming mouse pad that runs across the 120cm solid oak wood desk.

iso stands, lift them up to ear levels...

this! makes all the difference in proper positioning - also try sand-filling these tiny stands with cat-litter

• 2 weeks later...

805 D3 !? Wah.

S40 already impressive and still new

ya...speaker coming next week still waiting for my rack though...sad to place my equipments on the floor temporary....

I'm considering 805 D3 as well

or Confidence 20

But my room is too small

I just changed the monitor to LG 55 CX

Now looking at the TV in front of me... I think is a mistake,  55 inch is just too big for my desk..later will post a pic.. what a mess

I'm considering 805 D3 as well

or Confidence 20

But my room is too small

I just changed the monitor to LG 55 CX

Now looking at the TV in front of me... I think is a mistake,  55 inch is just too big for my desk..later will post a pic.. what a mess

Confidence 20 is overkill for it's size it will not idea to use for desktop...that speaker is around 16k u might need a 20k amp to power them.... same for 805D3 u might need a amp around 7-10k to power them high current or high wattage if not will not sound nice....contour 20i on the other hand fits in more if u really want killer desktop setup cause it's size is smaller than confidence

I am using Buchardt A500 active speaker on Isoacoustics Aperta 200 stand. Very happy with its features (freq response down to 20-30’Hz, DSP for room correction and changeable tuning via USB thumb drive, hub that simplifies connectivity to MAC/PC and other sources). The Aperta stand raises the height to appropriate ear level. It’s an expensive speaker for desktop use but when total up all the features, I think it delivers great value for money.

Just unbox this pair of old speakers, for trying out the new streamer amp. It will take days to complete this desktop setup.

uc?export=download&id=1efEjSO3LTiI0f-VZOGDuzMD7Qxuf2zzw

i seriously have no idea how is this going to be a desktop setup, with a 55" screen, speakers & amp combined to be almost about the size of the table.  :o :o :o

i can only say, your table very big.  ;D

Amon86!!!

good to see you!

;D ;D ;D

Yea man glad to see you too....here ppl won't use akuma's glowing red eyes to see you so is better haha

Just unbox this pair of old speakers, for trying out the new streamer amp. It will take days to complete this desktop setup.

think you are doing home system liao by the looks of it......you need floorstanders and a recliner, wireless keyboard and mouse sit a distance to use

wow also! How it compare to S40

In terms of treble it blows S40 away.....about the 805 bass does sounded deep and punchy dunno why some ppl say it sound lifeless? and treble can fight with my beryllium....piano really sound great on those so far loving it have only 15 mins of listening....just that i need to rush to work can't play too long with it......now my S40 is the weakest might change to contour 20i to be on par with my current speakers in the future