Desktop DAC Question

Thank you so very much for all the suggestions.

I managed to get my hands on a couple of DACs from friends and friends of friends to try out - the Schiit Modius and the iFi Zen (he said it's the older version, unsure what that meant). I also threw in the other DACs I had lying at home - two BT dacs - the Fiio BTR3, the Radsone Earstudio 100 and also my network receiver (which has a DAC as well) - Cambridge Audio CXN V2.

Conclusion in the end - after listening to the output myself and roping in the wife as well for a listening session - we weren't able to hear any difference with any of the cheaper or more expensive DACs added to the system.

I guess perhaps this is a limitation of the source quality (Spotify), the cables, the speakers or the placement. But it appears that changing the DAC will not enhance the sound in my setup.

I guess this was indicated pretty much at the start by wizardofoz that "hard pressed to find something under at least a few hundred $...". As it turns out in my case - I think I perhaps would need to spend a significantly larger amount of money to get anything better in terms of the sound output!

Thank you very much for all your suggestions gentlement! Was much appreciated, and a fun project while it lasted...

I am still tempted by the Modi 3 - given the price point and the form factor in that I can perhaps wire it neater than I have the oppo right now, but till I get my hands on one to listen, I will stick to what I have :)

<Edit> I might also look into adding a sub if once I can borrow one from a friend and see what kind of a difference that makes...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Conclusion in the end - after listening to the output myself and roping in the wife as well for a listening session - we weren't able to hear any difference with any of the cheaper or more expensive DACs added to the system.

I guess perhaps this is a limitation of the source quality (Spotify), the cables, the speakers or the placement. But it appears that changing the DAC will not enhance the sound in my setup.

I am still tempted by the Modi 3 - given the price point and the form factor in that I can perhaps wire it neater than I have the oppo right now, but till I get my hands on one to listen, I will stick to what I have :)

Many budget DAC (ChiFi included) are actually very good.  Why I suggested some FiiO/Topping options. I use a 1 box iFi Audio solution at my desk.  I might do the Topping E30/L30 if I wanted a 2 box stack with my stereo setup.

Pretty good chance is your source material too (Spotify).  Maybe put the Modi Multibit in there as option just for fun since you gonna play with schiit anyway.

Many budget DAC (ChiFi included) are actually very good.  Why I suggested some FiiO/Topping options. I use a 1 box iFi Audio solution at my desk.  I might do the Topping E30/L30 if I wanted a 2 box stack with my stereo setup.

Pretty good chance is your source material too (Spotify).  Maybe put the Modi Multibit in there as option just for fun since you gonna play with schiit anyway.

Unfortunately

1. I wasn't able to score any Topping DACs and likely the Fiio I did try wasn't that great anyways

2. I don't have much of a choice in terms of source material - too invested in Spotify...

But will definitely check out the Modi multibit as well. Far as I can see it is not THAT much more than the standard Modi.

I think the limitation is in the speaker/internal amp itself. Is there any tone control? This may have bigger benefit for small speaker

No tone control unfortunately. Just loudness ;-)

If, as you say, the speaker is the limitation then well I am done! Cannot see myself changing these speakers anytime soon :)

• 3 weeks later...

think i suggested to someone else, propping up your speakers might help more than upgrading your amp/dac.

and i honestly think the basic isoacoustic ones are best bet for the money. ($100+) though they are likely not the prettiest.

Yes, i think i also read your post somewhere.

I got the SMSL AD18 recently but was not really happy with it as the temperature is quite hot when touching it even when the aircon is on. 

think i suggested to someone else, propping up your speakers might help more than upgrading your amp/dac.

and i honestly think the basic isoacoustic ones are best bet for the money. ($100+) though they are likely not the prettiest.

Could you elaborate on the propping up the speakers part please? Interested in trying this out.

An update. I did find the Modi and got it for a couple of hours to play with. However, the effect was like earlier i.e. not much of an improvement. And well the wife did put her foot down that I am not to spend any more money on the setup in terms of changing the components.

So I decide to see if I can upgrade the audio path. I added the iSilencer+, changed the USB cable to an Anker cable and the 3.5mm connect to SKW. Perhaps just placebo, but I do find this has improved the soundstage and brought the instruments and vocals more forward. The most pronounced effect is on fast paced music - where I used to "feel" that my speakers were not completely keeping pace, but now I have no such complaints.

Think I have reached the end of my road on this one! At least till the bug strikes again :)

Could you elaborate on the propping up the speakers part please? Interested in trying this out.

this.

https://isoacoustics.com/iso-155-isolation-stands/

i started with using foam pads to tilt up the speakers, but eventually got these, and WOAAAAAAAAAH.....

i honestly think this is the best upgrade for nearfield listening...

Think I have reached the end of my road on this one! At least till the bug strikes again :)

In case you want to start over, it's probably better and more flexible using passive speaker.

Here's my office setup using small enough speaker and inexpensive tiny bluetooth amp with tone control. Very enjoyable

okooUj.jpg

In case you want to start over, it's probably better and more flexible using passive speaker.

Here's my office setup using small enough speaker and inexpensive tiny bluetooth amp with tone control. Very enjoyable

okooUj.jpg

at first glance i thought those were boenicke!

can i ask what are those? they look pretty good, i suppose they sound quite decent too!  :o :o :o

• Like 1

^^^^^

woah, that statement is very disturbing, boenicke already very ex...

:o :o :o

Cheap components inside  :D

These are what I believe inside the 5k+ Boenicke W5

USD42 woofer

https://www.parts-express.com/tang-band-w5-1138smf-5-1-4-paper-cone-subwoofer-speaker--264-917

USD14 fullrange driver

https://www.parts-express.com/fountek-fe85-3-full-range-speaker-driver--296-717

USD 9 back tweeter

https://www.parts-express.com/tang-band-13-1761s-1-2-silk-dome-tweeter-pair--264-841

;D ;D ;D

An update. I did find the Modi and got it for a couple of hours to play with. However, the effect was like earlier i.e. not much of an improvement. And well the wife did put her foot down that I am not to spend any more money on the setup in terms of changing the components.

So I decide to see if I can upgrade the audio path. I added the iSilencer+, changed the USB cable to an Anker cable and the 3.5mm connect to SKW. Perhaps just placebo, but I do find this has improved the soundstage and brought the instruments and vocals more forward. The most pronounced effect is on fast paced music - where I used to "feel" that my speakers were not completely keeping pace, but now I have no such complaints.

Excellent choice to go with Modi 3! 8) It has also served me well for past 2 years in my desktop/second system. It is a neat small box on the desktop and sound is nothing to complain about; is neutral, fast and dynamic. If you want to push it a notch you can plug in a lpsu/ipower into its microusb for power and leave it on all the time, no harm. In that way it will never use the 5V from your pc. ifi ipower is easy to hide away from your boss!  ;D

• Like 1