Advice on projector upgrade

Hi all,

I'm using an Epson RLCD projector EH-R1000 which I bought from these very forums and have been very happy with for the past couple of years.

I am thinking of upgrading to 4k later this year to accompany my PS5 purchase.

What I am basically trying to figure out, is how much do I need to spend in order to sufficiently upgrade from my Epson? I don't want to compromise my lumens/black levels just for the added resolution. 

I think I could maybe stretch to $5k budget and i'm a big advocate of buying second hand. Do I look to buy something new out of the box towards year-end, or look to try and pick up a second-hand 4k projector when someone does a big upgrade? I'm unsure if the latter would be possible and i'd have to time it right as there is no guarantee someone will do a big upgrade.

Thanks for your thoughts.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 with Doggie in this. The list is very “short”. Either Sony or JVC is the way to go. No No to DLP if you want better black levels and shadow details.

Both Sony SXRD and JVC utilise the same SXRD technology except for the difference in their implementation. JVC calls it DiLA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'd need to move up to SXRD or DILA to maintain black levels on par with your Epson and true 4K

Thanks Doggie. When you say on par.. will I not see an improvement in brightness and black levels?

+1 with Doggie in this. The list is very “short”. Either Sony or JVC is the way to go. No No to DLP if you want better black levels and shadow details.

Both Sony SXRD and JVC utilise the same SXRD technology except for the difference in their implementation. JVC calls it DiLA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the intel. Again, I'm hoping for a picture improvement also as not all content is going to be 4k..

The lowest end JVC is the NX5 at around $6k USD?

https://www.us.jvc.com/projectors/procision/dla_nx5/

What are the Sony model options?

Thanks again. @winwin81 I don't mind!

You don't have to spend a lot for an excellent 4K projector. I went with the BenQ W2700, which is under S$2,500. To get the best black levels with an expensive projector, you will need a perfectly dark room like a batcave. If you don't, this one will save you a lot of money. My projector room is dark only at night, so when I decided to change my 1080p Sony SXRD projector, and Alf was demoing the BenQ W2700, I saw it and decided it had as good a picture as my old Sony and the 4K HDR was superb. Have been very happy with it for the past year.

Here's a review:

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/video-display/projectors/benq-cineprime-ht3550-ultra-hd-dlp-projector-review/

You can contact Alf for a demo

If you don't have a batcave, you could, of course, do a Screen Innovation Black Diamond screen to counter the ambient light.  :)

(Audio)

this will not come cheap also. How about a DNP....

You don't have to spend a lot for an excellent 4K projector. I went with the BenQ W2700, which is under S$2,500. To get the best black levels with an expensive projector, you will need a perfectly dark room like a batcave. If you don't, this one will save you a lot of money. My projector room is dark only at night, so when I decided to change my 1080p Sony SXRD projector, and Alf was demoing the BenQ W2700, I saw it and decided it had as good a picture as my old Sony and the 4K HDR was superb. Have been very happy with it for the past year.

Here's a review:

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/video-display/projectors/benq-cineprime-ht3550-ultra-hd-dlp-projector-review/

This is great intel. Thank you, I'll definitely consider this. I am in a black and white house and at night time it is a Batcave but during the day I have light breaching the blinds.. I could consider some blackout pull down blinds, that would be quite straight forward to install as i like to play video games in the morning/ in batches over the weekend. I will definitely contact Alf, thanks. Is he a distributor?

if your coming to 5 years used and clocked for 3000hr on the panel , then even the 2700 for less then 2.5k will beat it.

I bought it second hand from the forums maybe 2+ years ago and have replaced the bulb once.

So basically it's the Sony/JVC for maximum quality and then the BenQ DLP as a cheaper 4k option ?

A considerable difference on price, I guess I could keep an eye out for anyone upgrading towards year-end and then make a decision on what is available year-end. Either bite the bullet for the sony/JVC, look out for a second hand one, or buy the BenQ brand new (warranty would be good to have.)

Hate to be a broken record but would there be a considerable difference in quality on the cheaper Sony/JVC to the BenQ?

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the chats.

If you don't have a batcave, you could, of course, do a Screen Innovation Black Diamond screen to counter the ambient light.  :)

(Audio)

I've been looking at that screen ever since I saw pictures of it years ago. Wonder about maintenance, mould etc. Wonder if Alf has a demo

I've been looking at that screen ever since I saw pictures of it years ago. Wonder about maintenance, mould etc. Wonder if Alf has a demo

Hello every one it is great to be active again during this long Covid 19 thingy, had made us all tired and restless . ( watch tones of movies he... he ...)

In regards to the options of projection screens for hi contrast with ambient light rejection ability ,good uniformity and have higher resolution finish only two big brands used to have it .

Now there is other option by a few other screen material makers , the current most command ones is the UST optical ( lenticular ) finish surface which redirect the light path towards the viewer . They have so many names and saying it also comes in fresnel combine with lenticular . ( This was use in the days rear projection acrylic screen one end fresnel to capture and lenticular to do distribution and makes it even .)

For any front projection application, be it short throw , mid throw or long throw the most ideal will be using the a smooth finish surface and diffusion type ( which allow wider viewing angle and higher or sharper picture  ) . This will allow flexibility of where is to be mounted , use different option of PJ.

There are White base finish ( Natural and Opti white ) , Light Grey Base  (Phantom grey III ) and Dark Grey Base ( Titanium Grey II ) . All this screen will be use with different environment and client expectation want and needs . Do go and find out on the pros and cons of each from supplier also find out , maintenance requirements, replacement option , frame options , frame velvet colour , what is the humidity level , viewing condition to buy the type you like most .

Note not all material can be use in the mechanical options but all can be use in the fixed frame for the best result .

Once you have the selected the ones you like and install it the last step is to get it calibrated , option to use the Calibration Disc with UHD player or the colourer meter and PC any one is better than just use the pre sets alone .

Thanks Doggie. When you say on par.. will I not see an improvement in brightness and black levels?

Thanks for the intel. Again, I'm hoping for a picture improvement also as not all content is going to be 4k..

The lowest end JVC is the NX5 at around $6k USD?

https://www.us.jvc.com/projectors/procision/dla_nx5/

What are the Sony model options?

Thanks again. @winwin81 I don't mind!

The reason I said on par is that these new HDR projectors have to run much brighter. Much much brighter than SDR projectors. So black levels as a result do suffer. Even on the best JVC zones.

So the Sony and JVC will have comparable if slightly better black levels in HDR mode compared to your SDR only projectors.

Here's a review:

Where did you buy the W2700 for $2400? Wanted to get one

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this.

Is this a good buy at this price? Very tempted...

Ok I'm in touch with the seller and they can deliver by Friday.

So forum.

BenQ for 2.5+ or the Sony for 4.5k (interest free option is there...)

Will I enjoy a 2k sgd picture quality difference...

I decide by morning. Please vote.

One got moving mirrors and rotating colour disk.

One is solid state.

(Audio)

Verbiage is a bit alien to me but I am assuming you are saying the Sony is better.

Apologies that my queries are a bit annoying, I am just trying to figure out if it is worth that extra chunk of cash.

Verbiage is a bit alien to me but I am assuming you are saying the Sony is better.

Apologies that my queries are a bit annoying, I am just trying to figure out if it is worth that extra chunk of cash.

Sorry, I was just trying to be discrete.  You assumed correctly.  My assumption is one with moving parts would have a higher chance of breaking down.  Whereas, one with no moving parts could, perhaps, lasts longer.

(Audio)