• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arcana works pretty well although must get used to a Thumbwheel and OLED menu rather than a nice web interface. My 2018 Panasonic OLED is now plays Dolby Vision from my Panny UB-450 UHD Player and watched parts of Dolby Vision movies on Netflix and Disney+. The specular highlights are definitely brighter in The Rise of Skywalker, especially in the tunnel where the millennium falcon is attacked by tie fighters. Got it at the preorder USD155 price so quite pleased to not have to pay $399 for a Vertex2, which allows a few more tweaks. Quite pleased to have a UHD Player and OLED TV that play both Dolby Vision and HDR10+

I don't have an eARC receiver but I thought ARC might work. It didn't out of the box. May have to do some tweaking in the menu.

50371494561_f437736102_c.jpg

The horses scene in the S&M disc is a torture test of brightness and can be switched between Dolby Vision, HDR10+ and various maximum nit settings from 10,000 nits to 600 nits. The DV clip in LLDV spoofed by Arcana looked completely blown out, whereas the HDR10+ was the best and most similar to the 1,000 nit setting. The DV clip looked like the 10,000 nit HDR setting, which is also similarly blown out. I have a feeling that this is due to incorrect coding of the S&M disc rather than an issue with Panny UHD/Arcana/Panny OLED as a few UHD Blu Rays that I have viewed look excellent in Dolby Vision on the Panny OLED

Arcana works pretty well although must get used to a Thumbwheel and OLED menu rather than a nice web interface. My 2018 Panasonic OLED is now plays Dolby Vision from my Panny UB-450 UHD Player and watched parts of Dolby Vision movies on Netflix and Disney+. The specular highlights are definitely brighter in The Rise of Skywalker, especially in the tunnel where the millennium falcon is attacked by tie fighters. Got it at the preorder USD155 price so quite pleased to not have to pay $399 for a Vertex2, which allows a few more tweaks. Quite pleased to have a UHD Player and OLED TV that play both Dolby Vision and HDR10+

I don't have an eARC receiver but I thought ARC might work. It didn't out of the box. May have to do some tweaking in the menu.

50371494561_f437736102_c.jpg

Thanks for this. Wonder if you could share the instructions to spoof DV for HDR10 OLEDs? Have got an Integral2 and would like to try out.

It's best you send an email to hdfury as their different devices are quite different in operation. The Arcana is designed to spoof a Sony TV and make a player output LLDV. At the same time, it sends a signal to the OLED to go into HDR mode.  This is done by simply enabling a menu option using the thumbwheel.

My understanding is that the Integral2 can spoof the EDID so that the player will output LLDV, however, it has no way of sending a signal to the display to go into HDR mode. So for certain displays e.g. JVC projectors that can be told by the user to enter HDR mode manually, you can use the Integral2. On my Panasonic OLED, I'm not sure if this is possible. So, it very much depends on the capability to control your display. I read on avsforum that some people asked hdfury to do a firmware update to Integral2 to be able to inject data to the display, but hdfury said that the Integral2 doesn't have enough memory for them to add the feature.

The horses scene in the S&M disc is a torture test of brightness and can be switched between Dolby Vision, HDR10+ and various maximum nit settings from 10,000 nits to 600 nits. The DV clip in LLDV spoofed by Arcana looked completely blown out, whereas the HDR10+ was the best and most similar to the 1,000 nit setting. The DV clip looked like the 10,000 nit HDR setting, which is also similarly blown out. I have a feeling that this is due to incorrect coding of the S&M disc rather than an issue with Panny UHD/Arcana/Panny OLED as a few UHD Blu Rays that I have viewed look excellent in Dolby Vision on the Panny OLED

The horse scene is a real challenge on the s&m disc. I use that all the time to adjust contrast at the early stages. It’s one of the best clips in S&M. Although the disc mentions not to touch contrast settings due to tone mapping, I’ve found that lowering contrast helps a great deal for PJ.  It cannot stay at the default 50, just doesn’t look good. Maybe this assertion is true for OLED TVs, but definitely not on PJ

I will get to revisit this again once the Xbox series x arrives. Will be testing for dolby vision again through vertex 2.

Hi. Just hooked up my Arcana but found some issues. Installing Arcana between my AVR and projector doesn't produce any picture on my PJ (no source detected). Display on Arcana showed proper input and output figures (even showed Benq)

It only works after I moved the Arcana between my Zidoo and AVR. So is it possible to use Arcana after my AVR so that all my devices (Zidoo, Fire Stick) can benefit from it? Didn't notice any unusual setting on my AVR

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I also have my Arcana between AVR and projector. Works fine with all the sources. DV movies look quite good! My equipment and settings:

AVR Denon 3300W

Epson EH-TW7000

ATV 4K (Enable DV, 4KSDR, Range and Rate matched)

Roku Ultra

Nvidia TV Shield Pro 2019

Arcana:

No Scaling

HDR Auto

LLV->HDR On

Max Lum: 1000nits

Firmware 0.68

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also have my Arcana between AVR and projector. Works fine with all the sources. DV movies look quite good! My equipment and settings:

AVR Denon 3300W

Epson EH-TW7000

ATV 4K (Enable DV, 4KSDR, Range and Rate matched)

Roku Ultra

Nvidia TV Shield Pro 2019

Arcana:

No Scaling

HDR Auto

LLV->HDR On

Max Lum: 1000nits

Firmware 0.68

Thanks for the tips.

Mine is working now between AVR and PJ after firmware update.

Funny thing is it doesn't work with I set scaler to Auto or Off. Only works when I choose 4k60 420 10b HDR for scaler.

PJ: Benq 5700

AVR: Denon 6200

Does your ATV netflix detect DV enabled display and enable DV on it? My Zidoo media player doesnt detect DV. Will be collecting a Fire Stick later to try out, current Roku stick doesn't support DV on netflix.

Yes. My Netflix on ATV detected and showed DV. Watched Enola Holmes last night - quite an eye candy of a movie! (Also with Atmos)

One slight anomaly - only with Netflix: can’t see my Denon OSD for volume adjustment... Okay with Prime, TV+.

Yes. My Netflix on ATV detected and showed DV. Watched Enola Holmes last night - quite an eye candy of a movie! (Also with Atmos)

One slight anomaly - only with Netflix: can’t see my Denon OSD for volume adjustment... Okay with Prime, TV+.

That’s because older Denon and Marantz AVRs can pass through DV but not overlay the on screen menus. If you press Menu, it would go to a black background for the menus.

That’s because older Denon and Marantz AVRs can pass through DV but not overlay the on screen menus. If you press Menu, it would go to a black background for the menus.

[emoji106]!

Thanks for the pro tip!

Thanks for the tips.

Mine is working now between AVR and PJ after firmware update.

Funny thing is it doesn't work with I set scaler to Auto or Off. Only works when I choose 4k60 420 10b HDR for scaler.

PJ: Benq 5700

AVR: Denon 6200

Does your ATV netflix detect DV enabled display and enable DV on it? My Zidoo media player doesnt detect DV. Will be collecting a Fire Stick later to try out, current Roku stick doesn't support DV on netflix.

Ok. Spent the whole of last night troubleshooting.

Seems that the 5V powered Arcana does not have enough juice to send video signal across long HDMI cables.

Same cable had no issues sending 4K60 444 12bit signal from AVR to PJ but Arcana was not able to do so which is why Auto and no scale doesn't work.

Changing scaler to 4K60 420 10bit works because of the lower bandwidth but LLDV>HDR won't work when scaler is in use.

I shifted the Arcana from AVR side (long cable out)  to PJ side (long cable in) and everything is working properly now.

Might wanna take note if anyone else faces similar issue.

I just managed to fire up my HD Fury and spend some time finding out the differences and what DV can bring to the display.

These pictures are taken with a SONY camera directly from the projection screen and are edited for picture size only.

No calibrations, no adjustments...just play one set with LLDV and and the other HDR-10.

I hope these pictures would be of use.

(Audio)

Doggie, I looked for that Stop the Fomo video and his conclusion was that both HDR10+ and Dolby Vision are no better than HDR10. Interestingly he used as a test Alita, which Vincent Teoh separately concluded has almost no HDR whether is filling the DCI-p3 gamut or in terms of specular highlights. So basically Stop used the wrong material for his test.

Perhaps the main reason to have HDR10+ is if you watch Amazon Prime Video since they have more HDR10+ content than Dolby Vision. Otherwise, with my Panny OLED having both HDR10+ and DV (thanks to Arcana) coupled with a Panny UHD player that does both, I feel very "complete". Unless I look at specific test material, I really don't notice the difference from HDR10.

Guest durianlover88

Guys, will require help...I have been configuring my Vertex2 the past weekend till now but with limited success.....anyone succeeded in using EDID profile 10 for LG W7 (should be similar to LG C7 or equivalent, supporting HDR and DV)...

The goals for me is 2-fold:

GOAL #1:  Playback 1080P BRs discs using player-led DV from Sony x700 4k player.

GOAL #2:  Playback Youtube videos from the Youtube app on Sony x700 to better resolution, also player-led DV.

GOAL #1 Test Results:

EDID->Custom:  So far after testing EDID profiles #1 up to #14, only #11 (4K HDR BT2020) is working good for Goal #1, achieving 4K24 444 BT2020 HDR 12bit. But this means it is HDR all the way, and no DV.

EDID #5, #10, #14 (in fact all profiles except #1 and #4) will cause the screen to go bluish-greenish grainy. The effect of #1 and #4 are the same as #11.

EDID->Automix:  If choose the option of Forced DV, only 4K24 8-bit RGB DV is possible for 1080P BR discs. Even for real 4K DV UHD BR discs, it would only use 8-bit RGB DV. My configuration screenshots attached below.

I am really not sure it is LG W7 or cable or vertex2 limitations.

The HDMI cables used are all Audioquest Diamond HDMI certified 18gbps. I tried plugging in same HDMI cable direct from Sony to LG W7 soundbar...the DV is playing gloriously better than from the vertex2 output (8bit RGB DV player-led). I was thinking then instead of plugging hdmi cables in and out...better to select full bypass for such real 4K UHD DV disc playback...tried 'Copy TX0 sink' but did not work...do you know which option would allow such bypass?

The EDID #11 HDR/8bit RGB DV picture is looking much better than standard 1080P BR disc playback. But what other options can I configure to get player-led DV (BT2020 12bit). I cannot imagine there are DV playback limitations on the LG W7...

GOAL #2 Test Results:

Can only achieve for Youtube videos:

EDID Custom:  4K60 444 BT709 8 bit (no HDR though)

EDID Automix:  4K60 444 BT709 8 bit (same as EDID Custom)

Colours achieved are more vibrant though, but no player-led DV.

Thanks in advance for your help!

bdd8e006f0b077cb2e4b92d452701e1b.jpg05227c178cd1ca71504f5ffa428f52e5.jpg1c11c2906bfc62c181db3bd7520a3858.jpg8b998070658d6e5a3656594bfd662bb5.jpg

@Audio, in the pics that you posted above, the ones where the flesh tones appear more "orange-y" is Dolby Vision is it? the screen shot at the top is Dolby Vision and the screen shot at the bottom is HDR10 ?

Yes, the first one (top) is DV and the second one (bottom) is the HDR.

The DV colour is richer, it seems to "pop", seems to have lesser noise and entire picture has less grains.

(Audio)

Doggie, I looked for that Stop the Fomo video and his conclusion was that both HDR10+ and Dolby Vision are no better than HDR10. Interestingly he used as a test Alita, which Vincent Teoh separately concluded has almost no HDR whether is filling the DCI-p3 gamut or in terms of specular highlights. So basically Stop used the wrong material for his test.

Perhaps the main reason to have HDR10+ is if you watch Amazon Prime Video since they have more HDR10+ content than Dolby Vision. Otherwise, with my Panny OLED having both HDR10+ and DV (thanks to Arcana) coupled with a Panny UHD player that does both, I feel very "complete". Unless I look at specific test material, I really don't notice the difference from HDR10.

I think his point was that not having DV doesn’t stop Samsung from being an option for consideration but there were still subtle changes in AB comparisons. It’s just that his impression was that he wouldn’t be able to see these differences if he only had access to one TV at a time.

Perhaps it was his choice of material. I’ve found DV to have a very noticeable impact on black levels in many native DV movies. Last Jedi UHD was very hard to watch on my projector until I applied the LLDV hack or used Panasonic’s HDR Optimizer. Ditto with Black Panther.

Guest durianlover88

Sharing some 1080p BR of Oblivion, upscaled to 4K 444 HDR BT2020 12-bit, using player-led (HDR, not DV)...

Still hope some gurus here can help with my questions a few posts earlier....thanks

bae7fdb71af1080354a2d1d36cf36314.jpg77b68d40e3cc743652177d79522f05ba.jpg1e560a97805477fc0d9793a8c2bf0897.jpg