Audiophile Journey with HiFi Rack.

I believe many of us will most likely spend more on equipments and cables, and very often pay much lesser attention to racks, come to think of it, many manufacturers are actually trying to emphasise on how well their products are being isolated to reduce unwanted vibrations etc, the same goes for racks, a rack is like your speaker cabinet and the gears resting on top are like the crossovers and drivers of a speaker, a well isolated rack will definitely bring alot of improvements sonically.

A well built rack ain’t gonna be cheap, and not practical if the rack cost as much or higher than any of your gear, so just work around your ideal budget, just need to pay abit more attention to racks or platforms, there are many wallet friendly options available, but also take note that every material used impose a certain character to the sound. Wood,aluminium,steel,ganite,carbon fibre, acrylic etc all have different sound characteristics.

Footers will be another cheaper alternative to achieve a certain degree of improvements.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest francishuang

Let's not forget the looks, must be pleasing to the owner as well!

Had a good rack, worked well and looked pretty.

But when I shifted the system into a smaller area, it suddenly looked too big and became an eyesore.

It really affected my enjoyment and In the end, sold the rack and changed it to something more pleasing to the eyes for a smaller space.

Looks nice and solid! . How much did u pay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

under $300 shipped to SG.

some blemishes here and there, (light scratches and scuffs), but overall quite happy with it.

Custome Made wooden AV rack from China with in-built back panel to mount LCD TV.

Been using this for quite a few years.a0077e79f02b61b77c380902c84f38c4.jpg1c0aeb62eced152371caa3e892103b4c.jpg

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

under $300 shipped to SG.

some blemishes here and there, (light scratches and scuffs), but overall quite happy with it.

That’s good deal. U mentioned it’s from taobao, u have the link? Thanks !

didn't think so many ppl keen, i'll post here, just to share.

as below;

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z09.2.0.0.56fa2e8dpzkZiD&id=576875222633&_u=a2kp7fqjc835

i used tb sea shipping, cos heavy, but need to pay gst. full set of 3 shelves and shipping is about $280 i think. shipping was about $50.

actually i saw the cheaper ones first but the tubes i think are hollow ($100+ for the same setup), this is slightly more solid. also come in white color option i think. you search his for sale items.

some additional pictures of finish, scuffs and separate items to setup.

49772879086_618e491e53.jpg

49772879076_d5c826862f.jpg

49773206452_7dd7bdbf11.jpg

49745003102_d56708df4c.jpg

49772346068_fd63b8c2ed.jpg

49772346038_fce6689731.jpg

49744679416_067b0c5ee4.jpg

didn't think so many ppl keen, i'll post here, just to share.

as below;

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z09.2.0.0.56fa2e8dpzkZiD&id=576875222633&_u=a2kp7fqjc835

i used tb sea shipping, cos heavy, but need to pay gst. full set of 3 shelves and shipping is about $280 i think. shipping was about $50.

actually i saw the cheaper ones first but the tubes i think are hollow ($100+ for the same setup), this is slightly more solid. also come in white color option i think. you search his for sale items.

some additional pictures of finish, scuffs and separate items to setup.

49772879086_618e491e53.jpg

49772879076_d5c826862f.jpg

49773206452_7dd7bdbf11.jpg

49745003102_d56708df4c.jpg

49772346068_fd63b8c2ed.jpg

49772346038_fce6689731.jpg

49744679416_067b0c5ee4.jpg

Rack looks good!

Thanks so much bro.

yah heavy item tb sea shipping make sense. :)

i have not had the chance to do proper A & B to identify whether there is audible difference. due to cable lengths and using other type footers.

But looking at what TAOC did to upgrade and improve from previous versions. i would say Yes, it should have a difference.  let me upload the pictures i took during my assembly process then i can post them here later.

spent some time converting the pictures so can fit in smaller for forum viewing. else too big fill 1 whole page. let me prepare a brief write up.

http://www.taoc.gr.jp/en/pdf/catalog/ASR3-En_2019-Aug.pdf

here is the pdf on the ASR-3

Was wondering how audiophile brothers here have changed HiFi racks through the years for practical reasons or

for tweaking to get best sound quality.

How many of us have used Metal/Wood structures with metal/Fiberboard/glass/granite slabs.

And whether Consoles, 4 legged or Tripod racks are preferred.

Some are Modular which is easy to store away and also easy to change heavy component by removing the higher tripod

I have been using from day one the Classis modular tripod rack which originally came with fiberboard and affer being influenced by some posting in this Echoloft website switched to granite slabs bought from either Balestier Plaza or Shaw Plaza many years ago.

The granite is known as Indian Black Granite slabs or Indian Black Galaxy Slabs with very tiny white/silvery specks. Its heavy with thickness of 18mm and measure 18 by 20 inches.

The Classic I or II cant remember which with 4 modular tripods is very sturdy being able to carry these 4 heavy loads over the years.

Now just like to know if granite slab is the best for density or if the experience of audiophiles have debunked this myth.

Any bro. would like to share his experience of this audio furniture and advise.

Of course some cost as little as $200/ and the hi end category may be 10 times this entry level.

I been having my Hifi rack for past 20 years, hand carried knock down from South Korea and 5years ago bought and additional rack used from  Burmester. My rule of thumb is get the most sturdy rack you can find, not those HiFi rack with spikes they are not sturdy. When I say sturdy that is if you place a turntable on top and shake the top of the rack your table should still be playing. I have seen friends who own racks which users spring and they shake alot like a yeo yeo. These are all B.S. racks which some manufacture claim to have high performance like e.g SolidSteel with spikes on every shelf.These do not improve your sound quality. It's all in the mind.

I been having my Hifi rack for past 20 years, hand carried knock down from South Korea and 5years ago bought and additional rack used from  Burmester. My rule of thumb is get the most sturdy rack you can find, not those HiFi rack with spikes they are not sturdy. When I say sturdy that is if you place a turntable on top and shake the top of the rack your table should still be playing. I have seen friends who own racks which users spring and they shake alot like a yeo yeo. These are all B.S. racks which some manufacture claim to have high performance like e.g SolidSteel with spikes on every shelf.These do not improve your sound quality. It's all in the mind.

I have to agree on this conclusion as it is common sense approach and is underpinned by logic.

In this instance in my opinion, a simple and easy test is to put a glass of water on a rack and slap one of the vertical pole to see if the water ripple.

In this instance in my opinion, a simple and easy test is to put a glass of water on a rack and slap one of the vertical pole to see if the water ripple.

I like that and they just don't come cheap. Once you get a heavy and good rack, that is one of the end of the journey for sourcing for a rack.

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Guest francishuang

This company build the cabinets for devore speakers too. Very good workmanship

Have been using this brand, Heritage series for my four tier double wide and the amp stand in Sapele finish. Superbly crafted and sturdy and very heavy

https://www.boxfurnitureco.com/